Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Weekend storm - Grasping for straws

Ian

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking back to last year on the 12-19 event. Didn't we think that was going to miss all of us south? Or am i thinking of a different storm? boy what a coincidence that would be

You'd be correct. That storm didn't really show that it was a good hit for us until the 17th. Prior to that it was still going back and forth from a near miss, OTS and a hit.

I was thinking back to last year on the 12-19 event. Didn't we think that was going to miss all of us south? Or am i thinking of a different storm? boy what a coincidence that would be

so many things seem and feel different this year though...in 07-08 storms didn't trend NW or anywhere really...they just disappeared. I can see by Friday this thing not even being on the board. I'm no expert though so that could just be my negative nelly thoughts

so many things seem and feel different this year though...in 07-08 storms didn't trend NW or anywhere really...they just disappeared. I can see by Friday this thing not even being on the board. I'm no expert though so that could just be my negative nelly thoughts

More runs have shown a miss than a hit at this point. The Euro showed a nice storm one time, I think. Now it is consistently OTS. Not a good sign, no matter how "superb" the 500 maps look.

I also noticed DT is starting to mention over and over what is going wrong. The woofing has definitely stopped. He smells a dead dog...

The veterans on the board SHOULD be able to see the writing on the wall....it's in pencil right now but the pen is in hand

The veterans on the board SHOULD be able to see the writing on the wall....it's in pencil right now but the pen is in hand

New England should definitely be worried but anybody below the mason dixon line should pay attention to this right up until the event, as even subtle changes in the 500mb orientation would have dramatic effects on the outcome in these areas. It's a low probability high consequence event.

New England should definitely be worried but anybody below the mason dixon line should pay attention to this right up until the event, as even subtle changes in the 500mb orientation would have dramatic effects on the outcome in these areas. It's a low probability high consequence event.

I appreciate that....my only point is that the expectations should be kept in check...I feel as though some will only be satisfied if this is a big event when probabilities are that it may very well be a light event.

Guest someguy

I also noticed DT is starting to mention over and over what is going wrong. The woofing has definitely stopped. He smells a dead dog...

are these the same posts from yesterday Morning when there w as massive dpression after the 0z monday euro and the 12z gfs took the event away?

NO?

well they seem awfully familar

Think about it this way- everything has been amplified this year. A good case is the super-primary that just trudged through the upper midwest...

Why would that tendency of amplification stop now?

I don't think it will stop now. 84 hour nam looked to be a near perfect setup. I'm leaning toward this happening at this point as we get closer the vorts are diggging more, and I expect that trend to continue.

I don't think it will stop now. 84 hour nam looked to be a near perfect setup. I'm leaning toward this happening at this point as we get closer the vorts are diggging more, and I expect that trend to continue.

Still a bit early for this. I'd like to see at least 2-6 more runs of the Euro and at least a few more of the GFS to really discern a "trend" towards that. At this point I still think the OTS solution is just as likely as a hit.

Still a bit early for this. I'd like to see at least 2-6 more runs of the Euro and at least a few more of the GFS to really discern a "trend" towards that. At this point I still think the OTS solution is just as likely as a hit.

Agreed... we are 5 days away... LOTS can happen, both good and bad, between now and then. Hanging onto every model run is silly at this point.

yeah, but the general rule of thumb in these cases are that when the models have an out to sea scenario days before the event, that's NOT bad news for us

I can recall many events over the years that had storms heading out to sea to our south at this range that hit us, including most of last year's storms

on the other hand, when the models start showing it pass to our west we are usually cooked;very few of those have hit us to the best of my recollection

Throwing in the towel in the MA now would be a mistake IMO.

Event is still a long ways out and models have a storm forming.

At this point there is very little consensus about the track and wouldn't take huge shifts to get the track we want.

Just have to keep watching and if a few days from now the models are all OTS then I'll throw the towel in.

fwiw, JB's morning update mentions that he thinks the area from TENN to the coastal mid and north Atlantic states will get hit with the weekend storm

looks like he's throwing the towel in for NE

not sure how you are translating this.

North Mid Atlantic would include NYC

He says upper pattern would support snow west of what model show(He said it should snow fairly far back)

Archived