Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Weekend storm - Grasping for straws

Ian

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I think everyone knows it's not a reliable radar for tracking observable precip.

Not the weenie who started a new thread on the main forum...

It's sad, really. They just don't know any better. If only people learned how to read the models AND the radar, which are two things that can never be taken at face value.

It's sad, really. They just don't know any better. If only people learned how to read the models AND the radar, which are two things that can never be taken at face value.

This is just me but the days that I learned to somewhat read a model was the beginning of the downfall for me on enjoying the weather. I miss the days that when it snowed was the day you found out it was going to snow.... sometimes knowledge can be depressing.

This is just me but the days that I learned to somewhat read a model was the beginning of the downfall for me on enjoying the weather. I miss the days that when it snowed was the day you found out it was going to snow.... sometimes knowledge can be depressing.

I agree-- although this weekend's non-snow is not as bad a let down as some in the past. I think what kept it fine was that there were a couple of steady doubting voices throughout (Wes and Matt), so most of us knew it wasn't a high probability event. And having this board inaccessible during several model cycles also helped.

I've been a weather weenie since I was a kid - I used to go to the weather office at the old Charlotte Douglass Airport in the early 70's - they had just gotten WEFAX and large map plotters. I was always amazed that the Mets would give me the very large weather map "posters" that I hung on my bedroom wall. I soon figured out that the "gifts" they gave me were basically worthless to the them, but It was still nice that they let a kid (and my dad) hang out with them for a few hours every couple of weekends. The "brown ink" plots were very basic - with the H/L front plots along the isobars - but I miss seeing weather maps on large sheets of paper - seemed "more real" to me then. Even if the models are a bit more "accurate" today :)

What fascinates me about weather is what fascinates me about the stock market (yes, I'm a trader - some may say traitor:)

It's the level of entropy and sheer unpredictability that makes it all exciting. As they say, unpredictability and chaos are the seeds of creativity.

Also, it's the sheer "fear factor" about making a prediction that could go horribly wrong, or very right that makes life exciting - isn't it?

:lol: I saw that. But most of us have been there at one time or another.

Although I follow the models with the same intense insanity as the next wx misfit, I miss the days when information wasn't so instant. As you and CB said, in the days of looking at the black and white maps in the daily newspaper, there were more surprises. I also seemed to spend more time actually enjoying the present weather rather than hoping for some future event.

And there certainly was no talk of a foot of snow until you got way close in time. Because they are such rare events, even in a great pattern, the excitement was limited to snow potential. Now, the models splash out a purple map deep for a time deep into the next week and it's like "oh great... how many more days to go through of model-watching?"

And there certainly was no talk of a foot of snow until you got way close in time. Because they are such rare events, even in a great pattern, the excitement was limited to snow potential. Now, the models splash out a purple map deep for a time deep into the next week and it's like "oh great... how many more days to go through of model-watching?"

Purples dont happen most years. It's a trap!

Archived