12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Weekend storm - Grasping for straws

Ian

wx models ain't supposed to be like horses

but I still think there is a trend west based on 0Z and 6Z model comparisons

maybe not enough for MA, but there is a trend

FWIW the 6z GFS gives light to moderate snows for DCA - BWI around an inch or so of snow and also brings back the midweek clipper

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW the 6z GFS gives light to moderate snows for DCA - BWI around an inch or so of snow and also brings back the midweek clipper

yep and even the 6Z NAM is further west with its precip shield than 0Z

the way I see it, we'll be out of all "reasonable" hope after 12Z and tonight's 0Z run is our last weenie hope

but that doesn't mean I won't follow it to the bitter end :arrowhead:

looking at the sat and radar pics this AM, I don't recall anyone else mentioning it, but I'm starting to think that the jet coming into southern CA is kicking this thing along and that's why its off the coast even though many mets have thought it would be closer all things considered

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/PCPN/DATA/RT/na-wv-loop.html

yep and even the 6Z NAM is further west with its precip shield than 0Z

the way I see it, we'll be out of all "reasonable" hope after 12Z and tonight's 0Z run is our last weenie hope

but that doesn't mean I won't follow it to the bitter end :arrowhead:

I know I will follow it....it's what we do no harm in that. If it's a complete miss then that is what it is...if it drops a bit of snow then great...if more....even better! The disappointment only lasts a minute and it's usually before the event anyway. In the old days when we got screwed we would be on here cracking jokes and having a good time. I wonder if that will still be the case? I have a gut feeling that it won't be.

Not sure if this was posted:

.SHORT TERM /SATURDAY THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT/...

HIGH PRESSURE OVER THE AREA ON SATURDAY WILL LIKELY KEEP THE CWA

DRY...HOWEVER WE CONTINUE TO CLOSELY MONITOR A DEVELOPING COASTAL

STORM IN THE SATURDAY NIGHT/SUNDAY TIME FRAME WHICH COULD AFFECT THE

MID ATLANTIC STATES. YESTERDAYS 12Z RUN OF THE ECMWF TRENDED FURTHER

WEST WITH THE TRACK OF THE LOW...PROVIDING A CHANCE OF SNOW ACROSS

THE CWA. 00Z GFS RUN ALSO TRENDED FURTHER WEST COMPARED TO ITS

EARLIER RUNS...BUT NOW THE 00Z ECMWF HAS SHIFTED THE TRACK FURTHER

OFFSHORE. HAVE CONTINUED TO LEAN TOWARD A 12Z ECMWF/00Z GFS SOLUTION

WHICH BRINGS A CHANCE OF SNOW INTO THE MID ATLANTIC /HIGHEST POPS

EAST/. BUT OBVIOUSLY THE CHANGEABLE NATURE IN THE FORECAST TRACK OF

LOW PRESSURE FROM THE MODELS PROVIDES A LOW CONFIDENCE FORECAST

RIGHT NOW AND THUS ITS IMPORTANT TO STAY APPRISED OF THE LATEST

FORECASTS FOR SATURDAY NIGHT/SUNDAY.

Well, for what its worth, the 3z SREFS are way west of 21z. Really more NW. 3 or 4 of the individual members look pretty good. All of them take a big jump WRT precip, but look like not so much with the position of the low? Maybe they are just stronger.

hey, you're right

I missed that!

my age must be showing :(

anyway, there's that west trend we need

next run of SREF's is out in about 20-25 minutes, so we'll see if it continues

Well, for what its worth, the 3z SREFS are way west of 21z. Really more NW. 3 or 4 of the individual members look pretty good. All of them take a big jump WRT precip, but look like not so much with the position of the low? Maybe they are just stronger.

Buy stock in junk food now!!! 12z models are going to make some people go on a binge. I bet they come back West enough to create some hope on the coast again.

euro flip flops more than any model, it's a joke!

All of this talk about how great the euro is.....just look at that for an example,lol!

You obviously haven't been following the models for that long, or have a very skewed version of reality.

In the long run, Euro is superior. The Euro was one of the best (if not the best) in tracking the Midwest storm we had last week.

All of the models keep flip-flopping... the Euro is just doing it to a greater degree with this system.

I agree.....I think we're all in for one more c*cktease out of the models here before they all coming crashing down again.

I love that water vapor image as well. Definitely a strong system coming into CA right on the heels of our meager little s/w. But you can see the PV regressing west there and some energy dropping down into the upper plains.

Buy stock in junk food now!!! 12z models are going to make some people go on a binge. I bet they come back West enough to create some hope on the coast again.

looking at the sat and radar pics this AM, I don't recall anyone else mentioning it, but I'm starting to think that the jet coming into southern CA is kicking this thing along and that's why its off the coast even though many mets have thought it would be closer all things considered

http://www.ssd.noaa....na-wv-loop.html

I am not a great operational met mind, so in my reading of these threads I've just taken it for granted that the southern vort that everyone was waiting for obs on was the main player here. So, when it got onshore and was sampled well, that was key. But in actually taking a look at a few of the models, it looks like the northern stream vort is just as important, and that "just landed" overnight on the Oregon coast. Basically, the southern vort starts the organization process in the SE, but we really need the northern vort to catch up (as quick as possible).

We are done man. We are to far N/W for any hope. The eastern burbs and DC itself may see some snow.

Archived