Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Weekend storm - Grasping for straws

Ian

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the storm does happen is it likely we could get it to move 50-75 miles west and nudge the higher precip totals west especially around DC?

Or east 50-75 miles to help ORF? Point is, it is just too early to worry about these things. We all want it our way. I wish we all could get as much snow as possible though.

Have you forgotton all about 2007-2008 or 2008-2009?

Lakes cutter or fish storm final call.

if the block actually backs up west as shown on several models it's a real threat imo. we've already seen a preview of the setup with the block to the east and storms ramping up in the ocean last week. shift it all west and we're in the party. there should be a window there... it's still not as "easy" as the storms last yr as you're going to need things to go just right but it's a good look with support now.

if the block actually backs up west as shown on several models it's a real threat imo. we've already seen a preview of the setup with the block to the east and storms ramping up in the ocean last week. shift it all west and we're in the party. there should be a window there... it's still not as "easy" as the storms last yr as you're going to need things to go just right but it's a good look with support now.

Logic

I fell into the trap of using that the last few La Ninas. Now I just close my eyes and scream lakes cutter.

Thats the whole ballgame right there. I was excited yesterday not so much about the storm. But the setup. With the block backing west the odds of a storm will increase dramatically. This threat is very real at this point.

This setup is so much better than anything we have seen so far this winter. I dont know how anyone can just nix this. I for one think a threat in the next 2 weeks is very real.

threat is real but hpc saying very low probability event, at this time...

REGARDING SYSTEM DETAILS...THE 00Z GFS CONTAINS THE LEAST AMOUNT

OF FORECAST CONFIDENCE AS EARLY AS DAY 3...WITH SHORTWAVE TROUGH

SOLUTIONS OVER THE UPPER MIDWEST AND NEAR THE CALIFORNIA COAST

WHICH LIE NEAR THE FAST AND STRONG EDGES OF THE SOLUTION ENVELOPE

RESPECTIVELY. THESE DIFFERENCES THEN GROW WITH TIME EVENTUALLY

CONTRIBUTING TO A SOLUTION WHICH FAVORS A MAJOR EAST COAST

SNOWSTORM BY DAYS 6/7. COMPARISONS WITH ALL OTHER DETERMINISTIC

AND ENSEMBLE GUIDANCE...WHICH COMPRISES OVER 100

SOLUTIONS...PLACES THE PROBABILITY OF SUCH AN EVENT AROUND 5

PERCENT. THUS...GIVEN A LACK OF CONFIDENCE IN THE MODEL'S SYSTEM

DETAILS EARLY IN THE PERIOD...ITS SOLUTION IS CURRENTLY DISCARDED.

OTHERWISE...THE 00Z ECMWF AND TO A LESSER EXTENT THE 00Z

CANADIAN/00Z UKMET/12Z JMA...PROJECT A MEAN DAY 3-7 PATTERN THAT

CONTAINS LONGER WAVELENGTH AND LESS AMPLITUDE FOR TROUGHS

EVENTUALLY EXITING THE NORTHEAST PACIFIC TROUGH. THIS

BROADER/FLATTER PATTERN...WHICH IS ALSO SUPPORT BY THE GLOBAL

ENSEMBLE MEANS...TELECONNECTS WELL WITH THE UNUSUALLY LARGE

POSITIVE MID-LEVEL HEIGHT ANOMALY FORMING OVER BAFFIN ISLAND IN

CANADA LATE IN THE PERIOD.

I hope that this doesn't develop into one of those "hook jobs".----southern low scoots to our south, then bombs out to sea, and finally gets pulled back toward upper Mid-atlantic/New England. Those are the worst to watch unfold.

MDstorm

I agree they are the worst

but if you look at the configuration of the troughs this year, I think its more likely for it to hit us and then hook N/NNW and turn to rain in places like Boston (think 1/25/00 path, not necessarily strength)

but I could be wrong

I agree they are the worst

but if you look at the configuration of the troughs this year, I think its more likely for it to hit us and then hook N/NNW and turn to rain in places like Boston (think 1/25/00 path, not necessarily strength)

but I could be wrong

I hope that you are right. I'm still concerned about the portrayed western ridge axis (too far east for my liking).

MDstorm

Last December featured a Massive Negative AO and on December 9th a midwest blizzard that hit Iowa hard.

This year:

Massive -AO: check

Midwest blizzard early December: check

Mid-atlantic bomb around the 18th: Yet to be determined

im about 50/50 or 40/60 (against) but wanting to lean toward it... hopefully we see a good 0z package. the pattern is pretty sweet imo, we just need things to come together.

Archived