• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Predict the first widespread snow and/or ice event for the southeast

tnweathernut

Post your guesses here as to when you think the first widespread snow/ice event will occur for us here in the southeast. Be as specific or as vague as you like in your prediction. Just thought this would be fun. Besides, what else do we have to do while we wait on the pattern to flip? I will go first.

December 10-12th. General 3-6 inch snow event from north Alabama/Georgia, southeast Tennessee and into North Carolina. Will give DCA a few flurries before scooting out to sea. haha

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dec. 17, N. Ga. N. Al. all of E. Tenn. and W. North and South Carolina major snow storm. Will snow for 2 days with 5 to 8 inches in the N. Ga and Ala. area with E. Tenn and the Western Carolinas receiving from 10 to 15 inches. and then again on New Years Eve and day.

For a wide-area event three of more states: *Climatology would say late January is our coldest averages. Most say this will be a front loaded winter, so I'll say January 3-5 will be the first major winter storm. I do think there could be some smaller winter events in December. Northern NC saw a couple of inches of snow in early December last year and I don't see why something like that can't happen again (but it would not be wide-spread).

I'd like to make this an annual thing. Something fun to get us from latter October and early November to the first snow of the season. Thanks for all the guesses so far. Now to make it a little more interesting................. I am going to provide a 20.00 gift card of some sort to the winner (I will give a few options to the winner after the contest). If two or more people have the same date right, the winner will be determined by the participant with the closest specifics. If that still won't decide it, yours truly will use the tried and true method (picking a number between 1 and 50 and the closest wins)

For those who have already given guesses in jest (i.e. Widre) feel free to change your guess at this point. The acceptable time ranges for guesses are from November 15th, 2011 to March15th, 2012.

ONLY those who are from, or are regular visitors/posters in the southeast forum will be eligible. If anyone has questions, feel free to let me know.

Oh and one more thing.........this thread may be so buried by the time to crown the winner, feel free to help me out by letting me know if your guess was right. haha

How about a few rules:

1) Has to effect three or more states in the southeast. ---Not starting in NC and running up the coast.

2) Has to affect (at least some) areas below 2000 feet in each state. ---Sorry mountain people but you guys get snow with almost ever system starting in Dec.

3) There has to be a general consensus that this is a major event. ---Maybe winter storm warnings in the three or more states, below 2000 feet.

What do you guys think?

Dec. 17, N. Ga. N. Al. all of E. Tenn. and W. North and South Carolina major snow storm. Will snow for 2 days with 5 to 8 inches in the N. Ga and Ala. area with E. Tenn and the Western Carolinas receiving from 10 to 15 inches. and then again on New Years Eve and day.

I like the thinking! :devilsmiley::snowman:

The first widespread Winter event of the SE will be from a southern tracking SW, spawning a surface low over northern MS. HP will be wedging down from east of the Apps. The surface low will track East, weaken, and transfer energy to a coastal, just off the northern SC coast. Light snow will break out in northern MS, AL, and most of TN, eventually extending into northern GA (north of Atlanta), where more of a wintry mix will be seen. It should be mainly snow or snow/sleet in the western NC Piedmont, with the Foothills and mountains perhaps in the snow jackpot area, picking up between 6-10". The upstate of SC north of GSP and Columbia will see a snow, sleet, zr combo, but central sections of the area as well as the central part of NC might see a relative min in precip (wintry mix) as the coastal takes over. Eastern NC might see a short period of IP/ZR, but the p-type will be predominately rain. All in all, this should prompt WSWs and WWAs across many areas and will be a nice early winter event. The 19th/20th of December seems the most likely time for this to occur. A few areas may pick up some minor winter activity before this time period, but this should be the first major event of the season. And it won't be the last.

Archived