• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Fall & Early Winter

Allenson

Thanks man. never sure about internet ethics, hate to clog things up I guess, my issue to get over. Crazy afternoon light show with the "God rays" (I like that, never heard it called that before). I liked the rays on this one too. All the J's in the background, little, big, J, North (left to right)

Haha I know what you mean about the "ethics" but honestly I'd rather these thread pages be filled with photos rather than banter. Pictures are worth a thousand words; the saying is true.

And a buddy and I have always called them "God Rays" as sort of a joke (haha) but the real name is "crepuscular rays."

31F now and surprisingly still found remnants of frozen precipitation at the base of my windshield where today's snow had pooled. 2" reported at the Mansfield snow stake today, it ain't much but its a start. 21F at the top of Mansfield at 4,000ft... and 10F at 6,200ft on the top of MWN. Brrrr.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heading up to Center Harbor NH to check out the place my parent's bought. I know it will be quiet, but nice to get away as well.

Nice spot. Right near my old stomping grounds in Plymouth. It's great for snow pack retention and it usually does well during a SWFE due to CADing. Downsloping off the Whites can be a problem during Nor'easters though...

Coldest morning of the season so far here--down to 23F. Still waiting on out first <20...which looks to happen by tomorrow morning.

Heavy heavy frost this morn.

We have had some off and on light snow showers even down here in the Valley this afternoon and evening.

Never saw any in Hanover yesterday but I did see some flakes at home last evening with the flood lights on. ;)

Border--super photos, man. What are you shooting with?

4 year old Canon SD 800 IS elph. the screen is so scratched now I pretty much just shoot and pray its close. iphoto makes a world of difference in getting closer to what it should look like. I would like to have the clarity you other guys get - someday.

not a cloud to be seen, hard frost this AM. sounded like youth deer weekend was going well around here, rifle fire carrying nicely through the hills

Coldest morning of the season so far here--down to 23F. Still waiting on out first <20...which looks to happen by tomorrow morning.

Heavy heavy frost this morn.

Low of 20F here this morning (20.4F).... MVL's actual was 19.9F a few miles down the road.

I see Huntington and Nashville also both got down to 20F, in a very similar position to me on the west side with respect to proximity to the spine and elevations in the vicinity of 800ft. I've noticed on clear, calm nights with high pressure almost all the stations at roughly ~800ft in valleys on either side of the spine almost all have identical low temperatures...and they are some of the lowest in the BTV warning area outside far NE kingdom and center of the 'Dacks.

Down to 19F this morning. First sub-20 of the fall and once again, heavy-heavy frost.

Up and at'em gents. Everything is an hour earlier now.

Headed out for a paddle on the river this afternoon. Looks to be a fine day for it.

4 year old Canon SD 800 IS elph. the screen is so scratched now I pretty much just shoot and pray its close. iphoto makes a world of difference in getting closer to what it should look like. I would like to have the clarity you other guys get - someday.

not a cloud to be seen, hard frost this AM. sounded like youth deer weekend was going well around here, rifle fire carrying nicely through the hills

Had to look that one up--pretty darn good photos for a point-n-shoot....actually, pretty darn good regardless. I'm amazed at the quality of photos that P&S cameras can take these days...often as good as what an SLR takes and a lot lighter to carry around. I have a Nikon D40 which is an SLR but it's 3-4 years old now, has 7000 exposures on it and it's starting to get a little worse for the wear. I recently got a new lense for it, which has certainly helped but I'd guess within the next year, I'll be shopping for a new camera body.

17F ... nice crisp morning. Still have some weenie snow piles and on north-facing rooftops. Persistent stuff!

Enjoy the paddle, Allenson. :scooter:

Fell to 23F here. I have a couple of patches left to go along with snow banks, but that's about it of the 19". 1 week ago today was one of my most amazing weather memories of my life.

17F ... nice crisp morning. Still have some weenie snow piles and on north-facing rooftops. Persistent stuff!

Enjoy the paddle, Allenson. :scooter:

17? Damn, pretty good radiating, I'd reckon. Even though we only got 3.9" here last weekend, we still have a patch of snow behind the north side of the house. The power of shade this time of year.

And thanks, should be a nice afternoon for it--low/mid 50s, clear skies, light southerly... Been trying to get out for weeks now but I've been busy. Finally in good enough shape here around the fa'hm in my winter prep where I feel like I can take the afternoon off and go out an enjoy myself.

And I love 4:15 starts for Patriots games--plenty of time for fun and to get back by the first quarter if not the start of the game. Boo-yeah.

Up to 25 here now--amazing that we'll be climbing another 25 degrees +......

17F here this morning for a low, too... at the same time the summit of Mansfield was 31F. Solid inversion between town and summit this morning.

No snow here in Stowe except some shaded areas on the mountain from the snow squalls the other day. But you can certainly see how snow would have no trouble hanging around now because yesterday the frost on north-facing lawns never fully melted. Weird to see frost white grass at 4:30pm in some places.

Fell to 23F here. I have a couple of patches left to go along with snow banks, but that's about it of the 19". 1 week ago today was one of my most amazing weather memories of my life.

It really was, it was just so surreal. Too bad to have "wasted" 20+/- inches with it being so early in the year but how can I complain after what we just experienced. I'm left with only a few patches on the porch, some snowbanks and obviously where the snow was piled (in the shadiest spot I could think of to see if it would last through winter) while making a fort with my daughter.

On a side note I had taken tons of pictures on my cell during the height of the storm Saturday night and for some reason they all got deleted while I was using the Verizon app that transfers media from phone to pc. It figures the one time a truly once in a lifetime event occurs my phone fails me. The only pics I had any luck getting back were 3 or 4 that I had sent from my phone to family who have moved to Texas and Arizona just so they would be amazed of what was happening back home.

I'm amazed at how long even a dusting sticks around these days...I'm shocked to still see snow on north facing roadsides up by the ski area above 1300ft from the squalls the other day. Snow is melted to the summit on east/south/west aspects but hanging tough top to bottom on north facing aspects.

we only made it to 20 here at 1080' but topped out at 54 (34 degree swing is pretty decent)

Ice and snow still hangin tough on top of richford pass, it might not see sun till April though in spots up there. No frosty pics like Cannon(nice)

looking at Wheeler Pond at 11, thin ice still visible, as well as PF's backyard way off in the distance

IMG_2637.jpg

Also anyone noticing how sunny it's been recently? Very odd to have so many sunny days (forecast calls for more sun) during what is the cloudiest month of the year. I am not complaining.

REALLY sunny up in your next of the woods today. Lots of ice along the trails however. Strange to see and then descend to the base lodge area and be sitting in shorts and a t-shirt and be warm.

Nice photos guys! I've been slacking with the camera...I'll take it up on the mountain tomorrow and see if anything catches my eye.

Borderwx....you live above 1000ft? For some reason I thought you were down at like 700-800 in the valley bottom like me. Like near Newport.

1080' in the driveway, 1050' at the bottom of the hill in the yard smile.gif , but yeah, roll down to town at 750' and over to the lake at 650'. 8 miles to the bright lights of the big city of Newport.

Pats secondary is painful to watch - nothing new unfortunately

I’d sort of forgotten about Friday’s new snow since there were only transient accumulations in the lower elevations, but I was quickly reminded when we were up at Bolton Valley this afternoon. We were driving up Thatcher Road, and from about 2,200’ on up we saw that everyone’s yards had snow in them. Snow had melted in the sunniest spots, but there was still a lot around; I guess they must have picked up an inch or two up there. I checked our NWS point and click and it looks like the next shot at snow is in the Thursday through Saturday period with the frontal passage and presence of an upper level trough or troughs.

Down to 20F this morning, first morning the pond had ice covering the whole thing. I doubt this will be ice-in for the season with the forecasted temps this week, but it also doesn't get much sun, so we will see.

Nice--starting to see ice on some of the ponds here too and the ground is actually starting to firm up just a touch.

The wife, dog and I paddled in your neck of the woods yesterday--put in the Connecticut at the Orford boat launch, paddled south for a couple miles to the Reeds Marsh area as well as on the other side of the river in the Lake Morey outlet stream marshes, the latter of the two being quite large. In the shady coves of both marsh areas there was quite a bit of ice, and this was during the height of the day/sun/warmth.

It was a wicked nice day out there yesterday, if a little cooler right on the water and a stiffer south wind than I expected, but no big shakes. I took some pics which I'll go through later today and if there are any good ones, I'll post 'em up.

Topped out at 51F here yesterday and back down into the low 20s this morning.

Some of the recoveries today were amazing. 16F to 60F for IZG.

Same low IMBY, but only 54 for the high, then back to 27 by 9 PM, and about 18 this morning - springlike diurnal ranges (and thick thick frost both days.) Today is day 8 with zero precip, looking to make it 10 before the rain arrives. I don't think I've ever gone that long without precip at this time of year, at least not since moving from NNJ, where early Nov was sometimes bluebird wx.

Nice--starting to see ice on some of the ponds here too and the ground is actually starting to firm up just a touch.

The wife, dog and I paddled in your neck of the woods yesterday--put in the Connecticut at the Orford boat launch, paddled south for a couple miles to the Reeds Marsh area as well as on the other side of the river in the Lake Morey outlet stream marshes, the latter of the two being quite large. In the shady coves of both marsh areas there was quite a bit of ice, and this was during the height of the day/sun/warmth.

It was a wicked nice day out there yesterday, if a little cooler right on the water and a stiffer south wind than I expected, but no big shakes. I took some pics which I'll go through later today and if there are any good ones, I'll post 'em up.

Topped out at 51F here yesterday and back down into the low 20s this morning.

That's a great paddle for sure, nice to hear ice starting up in the marshes on there as well. Although after just coming in from outside, I wonder how much will still there be after the next couple of the days. Although sun angle and spots with no exposure certainly could hang on to it.

I wanted to paddle down with my son and try out the campsite the UVLT maintains down in Thetford. They sound real nice and would have been a great trip for the two of us since we have a family of 6 and the rest of the house is female!! Unfortunately with that many people in the house free time is not easy, but it will be a must do for next season!!

Looks like late this week is our next chance for any wintery weather. Looks like a good shot for at least some NW flow snow over the Spine as the low slows over the Maritimes on Friday. 18z GFS actually has a nice light elevation snow event after the front passes late Thursday night/Friday morning. Low levels take a while to cool but above 1,000ft it looks like some wet snow could fall behind the front.

From BTV:

THE BEST THREAT OF PRECIPITATION AND GREATEST COVERAGE OVER THE REGION WILL OCCUR THURSDAY EVENING AND INTO THE FIRST HALF OF THURSDAY NIGHT WITH SHOWERY PRECIPITATION CONTINUING THE REMAINDER OF THE NIGHT. COLD AIR ADVECTION BEHIND THE FRONT WILL USHER IN COLDER TEMPERATURES WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF RAIN CHANGING TO SNOW...ESPECIALLY IN THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS THURSDAY NIGHT. STRONG NORTHWEST FLOW WILL INCREASE ON FRIDAY WITH SCATTERED RAIN AND SNOW SHOWERS CONTINUING...ESPECIALLY IN THE UPSLOPE-FAVORED LOCATIONS. THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR A COUPLE INCHES OF SNOW IN THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS BY LATE FRIDAY. WINDS AT 850 MB WILL BE CLOSE TO 40 KNOTS WHICH WILL PROVIDE THE POSSIBILITY OF WIDESPREAD 20 TO 35 MPH GUSTS. TEMPERATURE WISE...THURSDAY WILL START OUT ABVOVE AVERAGE WITH HIGHS FROM 50 TO 60 DEGREES...COOLER OVER WESTERN NEW YORK AND WARMEST OVER SOUTHERN VERMONT. AFTER THE COLD FRONTAL PASSAGE...TEMPERATURES WILL DROP BY FRIDAY MORNING INTO THE 30S...LEADING TO MUCH MORE SEASONAL TEMPERATURES ON FRIDAY...WITH HIGHS NOT GETTING OUT OF THE 30S AND 40S UNDER CLOUD COVER...SCATTERED PRECIPITATION...AND NORTHWEST WINDS.

The grid-point forecast for down here at 800ft in the village has marginal temperatures for any snow to stick, but hopefully there will be some flakes in the air. Of course this is 3-4 days out, but will be something to casually check in on over the next few days.

Thursday Night: Rain likely before 3am, then rain and snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 34. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Veterans Day: Rain and snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 39. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Friday Night: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

I'm amazed at how long even a dusting sticks around these days...I'm shocked to still see snow on north facing roadsides up by the ski area above 1300ft from the squalls the other day. Snow is melted to the summit on east/south/west aspects but hanging tough top to bottom on north facing aspects.

The sun angle is definitely part of it. Its equivalent to the end of Jan or early February. Its not a March sun angle, so even though the temps might be as warm as some of those spring days, the sun does a lot less damage. So those spots that only see sun for a few hours in the morning can survive more effectively than in spring.

Curious morning out there with high dews and as we dipped down to 32f this morning, frozen condensation. Actually encountered a couple slick spots on paved roads do to this combo. One spot that was very slick in particular was a small bridge on a bumpy but paved state road set in a cold hollow. The pavement over the bridge was literally white with ice and as there's a pretty sharp curve to the right just beyond the bridge, it can be a hairy spot. The rear end of the truck definitely slid a little bit on me as I went through there. Don't overcorrect, yo. :bike:

I wanted to paddle down with my son and try out the campsite the UVLT maintains down in Thetford. They sound real nice and would have been a great trip for the two of us since we have a family of 6 and the rest of the house is female!! Unfortunately with that many people in the house free time is not easy, but it will be a must do for next season!!

We hauled out and had lunch at the UVLT campsite on the spit of land on the Fairlee side just before the Morey marshes--nice spot for sure. There was a crew of guys on a boat in the Morey marshes setting muskrat traps....

I think it's one of the better paddles in our area as it has the most bang for the buck when it comes to poking around marshy areas.

Apparently there's another site down near North Thetford:

http://www.uvlt.org/public-access/campsitesuv/

Archived