• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Late Fall & Early Winter

Allenson

It never gets old watching the echos continue to regenerate in the vicinity of the Spine... there's a very small area just north of the village center here in Stowe that has been consistently in higher echos closer to "moderate"... always cool to geek out to those few pixels of 28+dbz that continue to train over a very small area (right over RT 100). Painfully slow but the car is trying to accumulate these flakes here on RT 108, NW of the village marker on radar.

Also another round expanding over the Spine.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed, we’re getting hit much harder now here; there are actually a couple tenths of an inch down already to put in the books.

Yeah your area just lit up on the low level radar... I usually don't like to use this because the terrain can play with it, but you can see the snow just go boom on the eastern slope of the Spine. This is definitely one of the situations with a high inversion level where the upslope favors the eastern side of the Spine and not the west side. Very fun to watch even if it is trivial in the grand scheme of things. Snow is now picking up here, too now in the 15-20dbz range. Still quite light but steady. You're getting into the more moderate echos now.

Composite for the same time:

Nice! You're location has been favorable in these events so far this November... with the 1+" from last Friday's snow showers, too. Radar doesn't really get over to your neck of the woods so its hard to tell exactly whats happening. Some good snow showers moving across the terrain this evening and I'm hoping we can get some moisture entrained in the flow from Lake Ontario. That's always a wild card with the Lake Effect Snow Warnings up, there will be moisture coming off the lake and even though there may not be a band on radar stretching all the way into VT, there's at least a plume of higher water content in the atmosphere coming this way.... and when that interacts with the terrain someone can get a little lucky.

Have you not seen the town sign "Welcome to Peacham- Piddly Snowfall Event Capital of the Kingdom"???? I joked a couple of years back that I don't know why Baltimore was excited to get 70 inches total from 3 snow events when we had gotten 3 inches total from 70 snow falls. http://instantrimsho.../?sound=rimshot

Anyway, last night we got .6 of an inch- oh yeah I'll be brushin' the cars. How you like me know????? That's 4.8 inches on the season. Coming after you Peru and Jaffrey. Watchout! Oh and for those of you scoring at home- I'm sitting at 27 degrees- Yeah that's Fahrenheit baby.

Sorry kinda punchy this morning.

^^ LOL. Get 'em klw. ;)

Light snow showers here on and off since last night. Just a trace of accumulation though. Maybe if I measured the height of one of the beefier grouple pellets that fell last night I could squeeze a tenth out of things but that would't be very ethical now would it? :whistle:

28F.

The world of Snow Measurement isn't known for being ethical, so by all means take some liberties. :scooter:

Saw some wet flakes mixing in with the rain last night which will be entered as the dreaded "T" in my rundown. That system next week could be interesting, which is better than the alternative.

Have you not seen the town sign "Welcome to Peacham- Piddly Snowfall Capital of the Kingdom"???? I joked a couple of years back that I don't know why Baltimore was excited to get 70 inches total from 3 snow events when we had gotten 3 inches total from 70 snow falls. http://instantrimsho.../?sound=rimshot

Anyway, last night we got .6 of an inch- oh yeah I'll be brushin' the cars. How you like me know????? That's 4.8 inches on the season. Coming after you Peru and Jaffrey. Watchout! Oh and for those of you scoring at home- I'm sitting at 27 degrees- Yeah that's Fahrenheit baby.

Haha that is one of the best NNE posts I've ever seen. Well played dude.

Sitting at a warm 31F here with a dusting that can't be measured. The NW wind really got cranking last night so the car and table outside have been swept clean, with these little pools of snowflakes mixed with dippin' dots ice cream at the bottom of the windshield and in the corners of the building.

The VTrans electronic sign on the Mountain Road here says RT 108 further up the road is closed at the ski resort with no travel through Smugglers Notch due to snow. Sweet. Ergo, you'll have to find another way through the mountains this morning; the long way.

VTZ003-004-006-007-016-181330-

ORLEANS-ESSEX-LAMOILLE-CALEDONIA-EASTERN FRANKLIN-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWPORT...ISLAND POND...JOHNSON...

STOWE...ST. JOHNSBURY...ENOSBURG FALLS...RICHFORD

500 AM EST FRI NOV 18 2011

...LOCALLY SLICK TRAVEL THIS MORNING...

SURFACE OBSERVATIONS AND AREA WEBCAMS INDICATE SCATTERED SNOW

SHOWER ACTIVITY HAS BLOSSOMED ACROSS PORTIONS OF NORTH CENTRAL AND

NORTHEASTERN VERMONT THIS MORNING. WHILE ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE

LIGHT AND LESS THAN AN INCH...LOCALLY SLICK TRAVEL IS POSSIBLE ON

AREA ROADS THROUGH THE MORNING COMMUTE. MOTORISTS ARE URGED TO

USE CAUTION AND ADJUST SPEEDS ACCORDINGLY.

^^ LOL. Get 'em klw. ;)

Light snow showers here on and off since last night. Just a trace of accumulation though. Maybe if I measured the height of one of the beefier grouple pellets that fell last night I could squeeze a tenth out of things but that would't be very ethical now would it?

28F.

Haha I'm not sure, maybe its not ethical to "not" measure it like that? NWS says your snowfall accumulation is the maximum amount achieved at any one point every 6 hours :whistle:

Dilemma, dilemma...

Have you not seen the town sign "Welcome to Peacham- Piddly Snowfall Event Capital of the Kingdom"???? I joked a couple of years back that I don't know why Baltimore was excited to get 70 inches total from 3 snow events when we had gotten 3 inches total from 70 snow falls. http://instantrimsho.../?sound=rimshot

YEAH BUDDY! NE VT ftw! :)

Had a nice burst of white surprise overnight, 1.5" of 25:1 fluff. Was up at 1 and ground was bare. (Never turned on the light to look for flakes, as I expected none.) At 3:45 the ground was white so I lit up the outside, and the event was finsihed - never saw a flake in the air. Twigs nicely frosted, as snow fell at 32F, then temps dropped to upper 20s as we had partial clearing. First time spinning the wheels on ice this season, on the Sandy River bridge in town as I accelerated from the blinker light, but no other issues for the commute.

Only a couple tenths here in AUG, and it's now gone except in a few shady spots.

Had a nice burst of white surprise overnight, 1.5" of 25:1 fluff. Was up at 1 and ground was bare. (Never turned on the light to look for flakes, as I expected none.) At 3:45 the ground was white so I lit up the outside, and the event was finsihed - never saw a flake in the air. Twigs nicely frosted, as snow fell at 32F, then temps dropped to upper 20s as we had partial clearing. First time spinning the wheels on ice this season, on the Sandy River bridge in town as I accelerated from the blinker light, but no other issues for the commute.

Only a couple tenths here in AUG, and it's now gone except in a few shady spots.

Nice, Saw that on radar last night..

Flurries continue with sunlight, haha. Snow globe snow twinkling in the sunlight. Mansfield is getting enveloped by another snow shower as I just lost visibility of the mountain from the Nordic Barn.

Wall of white coming this way...just exploded over the mountain... doesn't look impressive on radar but it looks nice in person.

Haha I'm not sure, maybe its not ethical to "not" measure it like that? NWS says your snowfall accumulation is the maximum amount achieved at any one point every 6 hours :whistle:

Dilemma, dilemma...

Ha-ha, not sure the height of a couple grouple pellets, with only 15-20% of the board whitened constitues any more than a trace....

Buuut, there was actually more on the truck than I expected when left the house--after I posted earlier this morning. I could go with a bonefide 0.1" after seeing what I did. It's weird, there wasn't much on my board--more board than white, as I said above--but the hood of the truck and the top of the toolbox in the bed were both solidly white. Might have to alter my dailies...

Every tenth counts, yo!

Flurries continue with sunlight, haha. Snow globe snow twinkling in the sunlight. Mansfield is getting enveloped by another snow shower as I just lost visibility of the mountain from the Nordic Barn.

Wall of white coming this way...just exploded over the mountain... doesn't look impressive on radar but it looks nice in person.

I can see it from over here on the west side of the range – it’s very cool in that the rest of the peaks north and south are visible, so it’s just like your radar image shows with the focus on Mansfield.

Haha I'm not sure, maybe its not ethical to "not" measure it like that? NWS says your snowfall accumulation is the maximum amount achieved at any one point every 6 hours

Dilemma, dilemma...

Ha-ha, not sure the height of a couple grouple pellets, with only 15-20% of the board whitened constitues any more than a trace....

Buuut, there was actually more on the truck than I expected when left the house--after I posted earlier this morning. I could go with a bonefide 0.1" after seeing what I did. It's weird, there wasn't much on my board--more board than white, as I said above--but the hood of the truck and the top of the toolbox in the bed were both solidly white. Might have to alter my dailies...

Every tenth counts, yo!

This is a good discussion for snow measurers, and here’s the link to the snow measurement guidelines for anyone in the forum that is new to the process:

http://www.nws.noaa....op/snowguid.htm

From the heightened period of more intense snowfall activity last night in our area, snow accumulation got up to 0.2 inches, and that eventually melted back since we were a bit above freezing. But, there was a new tenth of an inch of graupel pellets on the board this morning, so the whole event comes in at 0.3” based on my observations. In this case I threw the first 0.2” into a midnight observation, and then the morning’s 0.1” into my 6:00 AM observation, but in reality that doesn’t have to be done, since anything that accumulated and then melts down can be added into an individual 6-hour total. In theory, one could be out there watching every tenth of an inch or whatever accumulates during the snow bursts and then melts back when the precipitation slows, but there’s practicality and common sense to use as well.

On the snowboard coverage issue, that’s a great topic that I’ve thought about as well. A while back I eventually decided that I wasn’t going to worry about percent of board coverage or anything like that – it just seems too arbitrary anyway. With the elevated board, I just stick my tenths of an inch ruler down on there with my eye level with the board, and if anything pops up above the 0.1” marker, the accumulation goes down as a tenth of an inch. If it doesn’t, which was the situation during my first check yesterday evening, then it goes down as a trace. The beauty of using a board is that, as long as you’ve got a representative, wind-free location, you’ve got a nice, consistently-defined area in which you are looking for the accumulation – i.e., you can’t go hunting around all over the deck or whatever surface looking for that spot where the three flakes stacked up and got unusually high… or likewise a spot where there’s nothing. You can let the board be your boundary, and derive at least internal consistency by always limiting yourself to measuring there. Unfortunately this falls apart a bit if you are in a windy location and have to use multiple boards and get an average, but you can still use the same method on each board before you take your average and be consistent in that manner.

In last night’s event, I never saw full coverage of the board, and this morning’s graupel wasn’t a full covering either, but I just stick to my method and let the height of the snow dictate the accumulation. It’s not that big a deal either way, because the accumulation won’t usually get beyond a few tenths without full coverage – the most extreme case I’ve seen is when we have those massive upslope flakes that form globs on the board, where it might be a half inch etc. One also has to keep the whole thing in perspective as well - even twenty or thirty of these tenth of an inch measurements together throughout the season (which is probably more than even I get with diligent measuring) is still insignificant in the grand scheme of an NNE winter. I know there are folks in the forum that belittle the whole process of expending time to do the sub-inch snowfall measurements and call it a waste, but monitoring the season snowfall derived from a few big storms is much different than trying to get an accurate representation of the snow that falls from 40 to 50 storms varying from gargantuan all the way down to dustings. That’s the way things often go in the mountains though.

What do you do in NJ with info? Ski reports?

We give in depth snowfall total reports for our clients, many of whom are in the snowfall removal biz..its how they bill their clients

Every measurement, accumulation detail (especially distinguishing between paved/nonpaved surfaces), radar loop, etc... is extremely helpful to me. I'm learning the area as I go here and how the weather plays out, so the last few pages of this thread have been great

0z EURO continues the trend of an amplified solution and deliver extreme northern VT, NH, and interior ME and substantial winter punch. Too bad there'll be 60s to the Canadian border by next weekend..thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

On another note, I go to school in the NEK and I recently came home to SNE for my holiday break. Man, do I miss the peace and quiet you guys have up there! Yeah the cold in late January absolutely sucks, but there is endless beauty up there. Can't wait to return November 27-December 16.

Meanwhile, in southern Connecticut, it is a balmy 49/29 arrowheadsmiley.png

0z EURO continues the trend of an amplified solution and deliver extreme northern VT, NH, and interior ME and substantial winter punch. Too bad there'll be 60s to the Canadian border by next weekend..thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

On another note, I go to school in the NEK and I recently came home to SNE for my holiday break. Man, do I miss the peace and quiet you guys have up there! Yeah the cold in late January absolutely sucks, but there is endless beauty up there. Can't wait to return November 27-December 16.

Meanwhile, in southern Connecticut, it is a balmy 49/29 arrowheadsmiley.png

12z EURO looks interesting for NNE, too.

12z EURO looks interesting for NNE, too.

It was kind of an odd secondary development as it was late, Pretty good push of warm air on the front end then once the low develops heights crash SE an allows snow wrap around to the coast on the backside of the low as it meanders and then moves east

Did lap on the snowmaking run at Stowe this afternoon and it was surprisingly enjoyable. The conditions were variable...quite variable... but more often than not the surface was chalky and nice. 2,100 vertical feet change top-to-bottom made for a very warm skin from the base (mid 40s), but by the time we topped out it was at least 10F colder and the wind was blowing pretty good. Mansfield weather station was showing 36F with SW wind of 25G41 for a wind chill of 24F. And it definitely felt chilly after the sweat fest on the way up.

I can't wait to be up there daily again at that elevation as its a lot more fun to be "in" the weather. SW steady wind flow moving over the mountain and you can picture what you were seeing on the weather maps earlier in the day... as the low level jet pumps milder air in from the southwest.

The air was extremely dry though and I saw absolutely no signs of any melting of snowmaking despite a high of 47F in the base and 37F at the peak. Dew points were in the teens with very low RH. The local ASOS hit some good RH values mid afternoon from the dry weather...so luckily the snowmaking is going to stick around in the warmth as long as we don't get any soupy warmth in here. The bad news is the dry air has eaten up the 1" dusting we picked up the other day on the hill. Its only a trace on north facing aspects up high.

Morrisville...51/16F....RH of 24%

Montpelier...53/10F... RH of 17%

Archived