• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Fall & Early Winter

Allenson

Its not the snow cover, its the inversion. Areas below 1,000ft and cold air drainage areas east of the Greens have been stuck in the upper 20s to mid 30s over the past day and a half. I bet you have more snow below 1,000ft in LSC than 1,500ft+ at Burke.

We still have snow on the trees in Stowe village but bare ground showing up at the ski resort. Very odd pattern.

Yeah crazy...LSC is at 1,100ft and we still have solid cover. St. J at 680ft is still stuck around 30...i love it. Makes up for the screw jobs the valley gets in the early and late season :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not the snow cover, its the inversion. Areas below 1,000ft and cold air drainage areas east of the Greens have been stuck in the upper 20s to mid 30s over the past day and a half. I bet you have more snow below 1,000ft in LSC than 1,500ft+ at Burke.

We still have snow on the trees in Stowe village but bare ground showing up at the ski resort. Very odd pattern.

If this current inversion is odd I suggest taking a look at the cut off low the GFS is serving up for next week. That's odd.

I can confirm that there has been a serious inversion in the ADK as well. And it's vaporized snow VERY fast. Thursday am I skinned a few laps up whiteface. There was a good 12-18 inches of snow. Pockets of wind collected were 20-24. Skied great. Today..it's like bare ground everywhere. Poof. Gone. Instantly.

At least the GFS is starting to continually show signs of a sustained seasonably cool pattern starting lat next week.

If this current inversion is odd I suggest taking a look at the cut off low the GFS is serving up for next week. That's odd.

I can confirm that there has been a serious inversion in the ADK as well. And it's vaporized snow VERY fast. Thursday am I skinned a few laps up whiteface. There was a good 12-18 inches of snow. Pockets of wind collected were 20-24. Skied great. Today..it's like bare ground everywhere. Poof. Gone. Instantly.

At least the GFS is starting to continually show signs of a sustained seasonably cool pattern starting lat next week.

Yes it is, Moves almost due north from Tenn west of the Apps

Man the inversion finally broke here but 700-800ft remains 5F cooler than 1,500ft. Saint Johnsbury further east at 700ft is still under the inversion and only up to 34F as of early afternoon. This will be like a two day torch for them when other areas are 4 days.

And this afternoon I experienced something I've never seen before... driving DOWN the Mountain Road the snow cover was increasing and quite noticeably. We still have good snow cover here in the village with snow still on the evergreens, while up at 1,300-2,000ft it is mostly bare except for snowbanks. I've never seen that before and its gotta be the only time I can remember having more snow down here than 2,000ft. There's no other time when that might have even had the chance to occur.

Got up to 43 here today, 42 atm. Snowcover holding on fine, albeit now in the whipped-potato form. Snowcover and clouds helping to keep it a little cooler here today than other places to some extent. But, the truck thermometer was all over the place driving around town earlier. I saw a 45 to 36 drop from hill to hollow, over the course of a mile or so, so definitely some mild air out/up there. It'll be interesting to see if we go <32 by morning.

The ground was staring to freeze up during the cold nights before the snow, but the snow itself has helped thaw it back out again. Soft ground and green plants under the cover...

It's a little devastating to see 63 in Nashua and 45 here. :(

Even LCI is 7 degrees warmer than me. Might have to drive over there.

Low 50's here on top of the hill. I see all the stations around me at lower elevation are in the low to mid 40's. All you have to go is 500-1000 feet up and its warm!

how's the snow chance next week looking for you guys in CNE-NNE? Trying to get in 1 or 2 more snow chases before i make the big move to Albuquerque...i wonder if i will ever see snow again? :(

Around the 3rd and the 6th, I think the 6th may look a little better this far out, I knew someone that lived out there, And they actually had snow a few times so you may not get completly shut out

Well, made it down to 32F tonight afterall...

how's the snow chance next week looking for you guys in CNE-NNE? Trying to get in 1 or 2 more snow chases before i make the big move to Albuquerque...i wonder if i will ever see snow again? :(

Heh, my wife is headed out there this coming week for a work trip. I've never been there but I'd imagine that you can find snow not too far from there in the high country...

Here's some snow in the nearby Sandia Range: :snowing:

020211_sandia_snow.jpg

Wow... I cannot believe these thermal differences between the 1,300-2,000ft elevation band and 700ft in the valley. I have no snow this morning here at 1,550ft at our snow plot, completely torched away. Woods are barren, fields are grassy, etc. But yet down in town it still looks like mid-winter with no bare spots and a solid 5-6" on the ground. I've never seen anything like this before. Currently its 27F in the village and 39F up here at the base and 41F at the summit.

This inversion is just incredible at night... we were below freezing since like 9pm last night down in town, locking up and preserving the snow all night. Up here at the mountain we never made it below 39F and spent all last night around 40-41F at 1,500ft. Temperatures at 4,000ft this morning are in the low 40s, too.

This is MVL at 730ft, safely below freezing again all night keeping our snow in the valley...

And this is 1,600ft flat-lining near 40F all night and that provided the final blow to the natural snow cover. We haven't been near freezing here at the base since Friday morning.

Not too often St Johnsbury at 700ft has just as much snow as 4,000ft on the Green Mountain Spine... also Mansfield average temperature was 37F yesterday, compared with St J's 30F.

This inversion is just incredible at night... we were below freezing since like 9pm last night down in town, locking up and preserving the snow all night. Up here at the mountain we never made it below 39F and spent all last night around 40-41F at 1,500ft. Temperatures at 4,000ft this morning are in the low 40s, too.

No doubt--temps have been very odd these past few days but interesting to watch. We made it down to 27 here. Didn't think we'd sink that low given the forecast for overnight temps to stay in the mid-30s.

Looks like the last sub-freezing reading until Thursday morning though...

yep, definitely a bit of bizarro world with the inversion. not to many days you have to go low to find winter. left the house yesterday 44F our SW facing valley back to sticks and grass, made it to S Wheelock it was 34F at 12:30, snow covered roads and trees, lowest I saw was a 33F by river in the low lands of Sheffield. saw the sun, kind of, coming out of Calais on our way to Montpeculiar, postcard kinda day for late Nov, gloomy and colder than you think.

only got to 38F last night here, back over 40 now

Snowpack is still solid and kicking here this morning. It's probably down to 2-3" (haven't measured yet), but there's no bare spots. That's what an 8:1 snow thump will do for you.

Currently 35.8F with fog after a low of 31.0F. Sanbornton, about 100ft higher than me) is a bit over 40F now and they usually run cooler than me

FWIW the 6z NAM has 2m temps max at only about 45F here today while the EC op wedges this region into the 40s as well.

Wow... I cannot believe these thermal differences between the 1,300-2,000ft elevation band and 700ft in the valley. I have no snow this morning here at 1,550ft at our snow plot, completely torched away. Woods are barren, fields are grassy, etc. But yet down in town it still looks like mid-winter with no bare spots and a solid 5-6" on the ground. I've never seen anything like this before. Currently its 27F in the village and 39F up here at the base and 41F at the summit.

Cresting the hill on rt108 at the Toll Road entrance is a little depressing...*poof * all green.

Cresting the hill on rt108 at the Toll Road entrance is a little depressing...*poof * all green.

Tell me about it... I've got some photos from up on the mountain looking down towards the valley. It is incredible to see the valley locked in winter with solid white but then the fields and open spots up here by the mountain are bare/brown. It should look interesting in the pictures and again, I really doubt we'll see anything like this again in the near future. Just torch above like 1,200ft as that's the melt out line (with snow below that) and then snow reappears around 2,200ft or so. There's a 1,000ft thick layer that's been robbed of snow, haha.

Lets put it this way, you could play golf at the course with no trouble up at the ski resort and then go cross-country skiing and sledding at the Stowe Country Club down in the village.

Tell me about it... I've got some photos from up on the mountain looking down towards the valley. It is incredible to see the valley locked in winter with solid white but then the fields and open spots up here by the mountain are bare/brown. It should look interesting in the pictures and again, I really doubt we'll see anything like this again in the near future. Just torch above like 1,200ft as that's the melt out line (with snow below that) and then snow reappears around 2,200ft or so. There's a 1,000ft thick layer that's been robbed of snow, haha.

Lets put it this way, you could play golf at the course with no trouble up at the ski resort and then go cross-country skiing and sledding at the Stowe Country Club down in the village.

Yeah...it's pretty crazy to have these conditions persist for so long. What has it been? 2-3 days now? It's back to 39F here after hitting 41F about 10 minutes ago. I wonder if we can hold off the sun all day.

Well, it's never truly broken here today so far. Got up to 43F again today but with steady solid cloud cover rolling in after an incredible sunrise. Call it cool, gray and a little raw with solid potato snowcover.

41F currently.

Last day of rifle season here in VT. I'm glad for the end--I don't have any problems with hunting and even half-heartedly try my hand a couple times a season on our land. However, we get these tribes of yahoos that come down our road, park in the woods behind the house and fan out in these driving hordes. They've been known to bring kids with them, screaming a hollaring, they leave trash behind and they tear up the road in empty-handed frustration on their way out. They come every year and it's no wonder I've never seen them bag one. When I run into them in person I always say "nope, seen nothing but does".

I found our local buck's fresh tracks in the snow this morning. He's made it this far and his secret is safe with me.... :pimp:

Yeah...it's pretty crazy to have these conditions persist for so long. What has it been? 2-3 days now? It's back to 39F here after hitting 41F about 10 minutes ago. I wonder if we can hold off the sun all day.

Very crazy... here are some photos showing the difference between above the inversion and below the inversion. These were taken today.

Lower left hand side of this photo is the high terrain, and you can see the fields and homes up on the lower left are bare (generally 1,200-1,800ft on that plateau on the lower left of photo). Then the valley which is generally 700-900ft which runs from the right side of the photo, to the upper left side, has solid snow cover.

Nice hard frost and freeze below the inversion, then barren above that inversion level.

Archived