Weathernoob335
NNE Late Fall & Early Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey- at least it looks like fall

Haha yeah a fluffy 1-2" is a nice way to start the natural snow base :lol:

Thanks guys, hope the rest of you can get something out of this, but I know orographically we are favored here with anything approaching from the NW. Models showed only trace amounts of liquid but the mountain enhancement still gave us a nice little shot of snow. It will evaporate in the sun tomorrow but it's nice to look at while its here.

.25" new, looks to have been more up in the mountains from the look of the clouds this afternoon.

I was out on the far side of the lake when it started snowing and on my way back to the north shore it was pretty cool seeing the mountains to the east get enveloped while there were only flurries over me in the middle and to the west. It got down to 2 mile vis to the east while still 8+ to the west.

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.06” L.E.

I’m not sure of the temperature, but it was raining lightly when I left Burlington around 5:00 P.M. At the Waterbury Park and Ride, the precipitation looked like a mixture of rain and snow, and the only accumulations I saw were a fairly thin coating of slush on the cars. True to form though, once I hit the Cider House a couple miles west toward the spine, I started seeing accumulations of snow on the grass, and at the house I found 0.3” of slushy snow on the snowboard and a temperature of 33.3 F. The snow picked up for a bit after the 6:00 P.M. board clearing, and we received another tenth of an inch of snow, but the snowfall has tapered off since then and it’s very light now. It is nice to have the first accumulation of December in the books though, hopefully there will be plenty more to come.

Some details from the 6:00 P.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.06 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 5.0

Snow Density: 20.0% H2O

Temperature: 33.3 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: Trace

Warm air is now streaming in aloft...

4,000ft ridgeline is showing SSW winds sustained at 20-30mph, gusting to 45mph and the temperature rose all night. Its currently back in the upper 20s but showed a spike to 34F at one point last night as pockets of warm air move through near H85 level.

Currently 26F at 1,500ft and was 27F at 800ft.

Congrats on the start of the snowpack. :santa:

Thanks dude--amazingly, there's still snow on the ground here from our whopping tenth of an inch on Friday evening. Colder high yesterday than expected--mid-30 instead of low-40s. On the flip side, thought for sure we'd get down into the teens by this morning but nope, low-20s will do it.

Wow, great pics, PF. Love the undercast. South wind stirring already, eh?

Edit: well, that was fast--when I got up at 7am, we had clear skies and all was calm. Still no wind here at ground level but some clouds have come in and man are the racing by from south to north. Smoke from the chimney is going up some but then cashing right back down after reaching a certain height.

Wow, great pics, PF. Love the undercast. South wind stirring already, eh?

Edit: well, that was fast--when I got up at 7am, we had clear skies and all was calm. Still no wind here at ground level but some clouds have come in and man are the racing by from south to north. Smoke from the chimney is going up some but then cashing right back down after reaching a certain height.

Yeah anything up high will be racing... we've been clocking gusts near 50mph at 4,000ft out of the SW. Its blowing hard right at the top of our Quad lift but since the skiing is on the eastern side of the mountain, its dead calm and sheltered on the NE side but come up over the ridge and the wind is shredding the pine trees, lol. Night and day difference depending on what aspect of the mountain you are on.

I don't remember if this was the thread that we were discussing Snow Mountain (ME) in but I went looking for it the other day up north of Eustis. I ended up hiking around for 10 miles on atv and logging trails without reaching it although I think I was able to see it and figure out which peak it is for future reference. Will try again soon.

Not really any more snow up NE that way than in Rangeley. Just the .25" from Friday night holding on (plenty cold at 2-3k feet north of Eustis).

Looks like we'll have a warm day followed by frontal passage and maybe a few high elevation snows from energy streaming along the front. Don't think we'll see that second wave later in the week develop into a strong storm.

BUt at least it looks like an honest week of december like temps.

The graphics at least look nice and wintery, haha. NWS has 1-2" of snow late tonight and tomorrow after some rain showers.

It’s nice to see all the flakes PF, even if it’s not quite to the level of what was going on last year at this time… As I was preparing for lecture today, I saw that my slides from Dec 6th of last year had some snowflakes on the cover sheet, which I often do if there’s snow around. So I went back and looked at my weather records, and sure enough, we were in the midst of a nice upslope snow event that brought two feet of snow down at the house, and close to four feet up in the higher elevations. At the house, it actually wound up being our second largest event of the season in terms of snowfall. Incidentally, my summary of the event at the linked text above starts off with one of those NWS point forecast graphics, which looked pretty nice even for the valley:

02DEC10A.jpg

I know we’re not quite there yet this season, but then I pulled up today’s forecast graphics for our area and they don’t look half bad:

05DEC11A.jpg

I was going to pull the snowflakes off my title slide, but after seeing today’s graphics I think I’ll keep them on. Even if we’re not heading into a big upslope event, it looks like we’ll have some December-like temperatures as adk said, with at least the potential for some flakes.

Just took 4 runs and the snow is soft and quite fun.

Only problem is that it is now raining steadily under these yellow returns. I figured it was just the radar showing something funky with the "rings" but its definitely raining moderately out there right now on the Lamoille/Chittenden county border.

Archived