• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Fall & Early Winter

Allenson

I'm sure you had snow at some point towards the end. It was almost straight snow in Portland when I got to work at 5:30 ... and then the back edge came through. 1.5" or so of QPF down the literal drain.

We received very little here, I was able to catch the last 1.5hr at 6:00 am of the radar this am and all i got was the stinger or lack of one, It was not a great track as the low tracked right thru Bar Harbor, Town just to my west, They had 1.5" so i missed out..

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much did skierinrangeley get?

I laughed pretty good at the name you had for him yesterday............lol

Ha I must have missed this what's my other name? I got 6". Flipped around 7pm in the valley shortly after the real qpf arrived but was snow all afternoon at the summits. Power must have blinked during the night. Finally!! Hopefully this time it sticks around.

Ha I must have missed this what's my other name? I got 6". Flipped around 7pm in the valley shortly after the real qpf arrived but was snow all afternoon at the summits. Power must have blinked during the night. Finally!! Hopefully this time it sticks around.

skierinvermontwhonowlivesinrangeleymaine.............lol, Or close to that it was comical

Here is the link to the BTV area totals

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/headline/

I'm pretty sure we got downsloped here in Stowe last night... I measured 1.7" this morning at 800ft, and 2.5" at 1,500ft base of ski area.

There were NW winds in the lowest 5,000ft of the atmosphere and then SSE above that and I've noticed during these situations when the wind flow changes direction just above the summit level, we can get screwed a bit in terms of QPF. Interestingly enough, the BTV WRF model showed this occurring yesterday and I just choose to dismiss it, lol.

All in all though still very wintery look with snow caked to every tree branch this morning and at least its white out there. My operational call for the mountain of 3-6" was ok but a little high with 2.5" at the base, and best estimate of around 4" at the summit but winds were 50-60mph up there last night blowing everything into drifts.

We did get some very nice snow squalls though at times today, brief periods of +SN with graupel. Very wintery day though with cold temps (wind chills below zero at the summit), wind, and snow in the air.

Well, the alpenglow on the Greens (especially Mansfield) this evening has been fantastic from here in Burlington thanks to all the new snow – here on the UVM campus it looks like they may have picked up about an inch, but it’s nice to see things white from valley to summit. Looking ahead, at this point it appears as though the next two potential rounds of snow for Northern Vermont will be the Friday/Saturday event, and then a Tuesday/Wednesday event. I’ve added some of the relevant NWS discussion below. There’s nothing in terms of huge storms at this point, but there are more events to watch and chances to add to the snowpack:

.SHORT TERM /7 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH SATURDAY/...

…A WEAK TROF WILL MOVE ACROSS THE REGION FRIDAY NIGHT ENHANCING SOME SNOW SHOWERS ACROSS THE ADIRONDACKS AND NORTHERN VERMONT...

.LONG TERM /SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...

…BY TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY RELIABLE MEDIUM RANGE SOLNS/ENSEMBLES IN AGREEMENT SHOWING A MODEST NORTHERN STREAM SHORTWAVE TROUGH SWINGING THROUGH THE REGION WITH A DECENT CHANCE OF RAIN/SNOW SHOWER ACTIVITY. SOME MINOR ACCUMULATIONS POSSIBLE DURING THIS PERIOD...MAINLY ACROSS THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS WHERE BOUNDARY LAYER TEMPERATURES A TAD COOLER.

NewEnglandSnowfall1.gif

Thanks for the map. However, it missed the Route 2 snowhole, only some mix with no accum from a ways west of Farmington east to about Canaan, perhaps a 30-mile stretch of brown ground, though surrounding hills had some white. Oddly, Manchester, just west of AUG, had up to 3". Rainfall 0.84" from the storm, and just under 1" since yest morning.

Looks like we'll have 6-8" for tomorrow's thrash in the doghair spruce-fir saplings north of Moosehead. Highs re supposed to be upper 20s there, with snowshoers.

Cloudy skies with flurries this morning. Dusting on the roads up here at the resort overnight.

19F 4,000ft

29F 1,500ft

32F 800ft

Moisture is decreasing though so it should stop any minute. Groomers reported a period of steadier light snow about two hours ago. We should be able to pick up something with the arctic front and any Great Lakes moisture that gets entrained in the flow pushing up against the Spine late today and tonight.

BTV's map for the arctic front and lake effect... not very impressive but a nice coating to an inch would be still be nice.

I do like this on Jay Peak's snow report this morning because it does apply to pretty much all of the northern Greens. When I was growing up in Albany, NY a forecast for flurries pretty much meant you may have a 15 minute period of scattered flakes in the air. Up here a forecast for flurries could be anything from a few flakes to 4" haha.

"Today: Snow flurries, but we all know what Jay Peak flurries are like; usually translates into a few inches. Keep your fingers crossed."

We should be able to pick up something with the arctic front and any Great Lakes moisture that gets entrained in the flow pushing up against the Spine late today and tonight.

I was pretty busy yesterday, so it feels like this first event has just jumped right in here. Anyway, Roger Hill talked about it this morning on his first broadcast. He’s expecting a couple of pulses of precipitation, one this afternoon, and then another overnight tonight. He said that for the first round, things will be a bit warm in the valleys for accumulation, and the discussion from BTV sounds similar:

AREAS WHERE THE MOST PERSISTENT LAKE EFFECT SNOW FALLS MAY HAVE UP TO FOUR INCHES OF SNOW BY THE TIME IT IS DONE. MOST AREAS WILL HAVE CLOSER TO 1-3" OF SNOW. ONE THING THAT MAY HAMPER SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS IS WARM AIR. TEMPS IN THE SAINT LAWRENCE VALLEY ARE ALREADY IN THE UPPER 30S...HOPEFULLY THESE TEMPS WILL DROP ENOUGH FOR SOME SNOW TO DEVELOP. MAX TEMPS WILL GET INTO THE UPPER 30S TO AROUND 40S IN SOME PARTS OF OUR CWA WITH LOWER TO MID 30S IN THE DACKS AND GREENS.

I got a chuckle out of seeing that bit of subjectivity injected in there with the use of “hopefully”, so I guess we see where that forecaster stands on snow. Anyway, Roger did stress that the potential was there for accumulations with that first round at appropriate elevations in the Northern Greens, and then all elevations could get into it more overnight. BTV discussion covering that period:

.SHORT TERM /7 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH SUNDAY/...

AS OF 350 AM EST FRIDAY...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL CONTINUE INTO THE OVERNIGHT HOURS...WITH THIS BEING THE MOST LIKELY TIME FOR SOME ACCUMULATIONS AS OVERNIGHT MINS DROP BELOW FREEZING ACROSS THE AREA. BT SATURDAY MORNING MOST LOCATIONS WILL HAVE ONE TO THREE INCHES WITH ISOLATED AREAS HAVING FOUR INCHES OR SLIGHTLY HIGHER TOTALS. THERE MAY ALSO BE SOME ACCUMULATING SNOWS IN THE UPSLOPE REGIONS OF THE NORTHERN GREENS OVERNIGHT. ONLY FLURRIES EXPECTED

HERE IN THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY.

Hopefully the Greens will work some of their usual magic. Bolton has been making snow and is planning to start running some of the lifts tomorrow, but the prospect of getting a little natural on top of their base makes an early visit a little more appealing if there are any areas where the guns aren’t going to be blowing on top of it.

I've been watching this feature rather closely and I think 1-3 is certainly within range when all is said and done along the spine. This is how it happens. the big storm makes a lot of smoke but the orographic snow is the fire ....that doesn't really make sense as an analogy but I don't care.

I'm fried from work.

I've been watching this feature rather closely and I think 1-3 is certainly within range when all is said and done along the spine. This is how it happens. the big storm makes a lot of smoke but the orographic snow is the fire ....that doesn't really make sense as an analogy but I don't care.

I'm fried from work.

From 8-9am I had been watching the snow begin to crash out of the clouds at the summit, obscuring neighboring peaks to the north. Then we started getting some snow at the summit around 8:50am, and now at 9:15am it is snowing at the base. Its still essentially flurries at the base, but now I see the Worcester Range is starting to disappear too, so hopefully as the air saturates we can get some steady snow down to the bottom.

These are perfect dendrites though and have high ratio snow written all over them.

Timing on the radar looks just like what I saw... right as the zig-zag county border covered up in echos, snow began. Now lets see what happens over the next 24 hours.

FYI...just in case any of y'all want to join us crazy bast*rds...

updated- 12-09-11

Scott

Amy

Diane

Garth

Kevin

Ray

Phil

Ginxy

TB

Wizzy

hubbdave- 5pmish

Oldman Bob- 5pmish

Socks

Chris (nwct)

Will

Megs?

Typhoon Tip? 6pmish

IWC?

Dec 10th, 2pm until whenever...Worcester, Funky Murphys

If they offered a reduced rate just so I could ride up and down the chairlift all day, I'd totally do it.

When the Gondola is open, there is a "foot-passenger" rate that just allows you to ride it for sight-seeing. I'm not sure what it costs, but its probably more than you would expect, haha... but a good number of people that don't ski/ride like to do it and take the Gondola to the top and have lunch in the restaurant up there.

No precipitation to report from here in Burlington, but I did get to watch a pretty neat show in the afternoon before the sun set. They didn’t look quite like lenticular clouds from here, but localized capping clouds were forming above many of the peaks of the Northern and Central Greens. The size of the clouds were basically proportional to the size of each peak, with bigger peaks like Mansfield and Camel’s Hump having large clouds, and smaller peaks like Dewey, Clark, and Mayo, having smaller ones – clearly some moisture was getting a lift. I’ve seen this happen from time to time, but today has some really distinct clouds like the really compact one that just sat there about 1,000 – 2,000 feet above Dewey Mountain. I also grabbed a couple of radar shots at that point, and the direction of the flow off the lakes looked pretty decent for this area:

09DEC11A.gif

09DEC11B.gif

Cold and snowy! I was riding the chair this morning with AMWX poster "adk" and we were both discussing how nice and wintery it finally feels out there.

Upslope machine put down a fresh inch in a couple hours between 4-6am, its now windy and 23F at 1,500ft with 13F at 4,000ft.

Now we are getting into our "nickle and dime" season with a half inch to an inch yesterday in squalls, another inch last night, and consistent flurries this morning.

updated- 12-10-11

Scott

MeteoTrade?

Amy

Diane

Garth

Kevin

Ray

Phil

Ginxy

TB

Wizzy

hubbdave- 5pmish

OldmanBob- 5pmish

Max

Socks

Chris (nwct)

Will?

Typhoon Tip? 6pmish

IWC?

All right ladies and gents, kickoff in T-2.5hrs!

looks like i've got a maybe from our God's Country kinfolk- Mrg, and Happy Valley...let's hope they show! smile.png

Dec 10th, 2pm until whenever...Worcester, Funky Murphys

Archived