joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Fall & Early Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By now, Some of the big puddles (Ponds) should be frozen up your way, Pretty depressing really..

I went for a nice canoe ride yesterday I guess I should have brought my kayaks... any idea when Rangely lake usually freezes? I am guessing not until late Dec this year. It is pretty windy every time I have been on it with waves so I think it has to be pretty cold.

I went for a nice canoe ride yesterday I guess I should have brought my kayaks... any idea when Rangely lake usually freezes? I am guessing not until late Dec this year.

I think 1st week or 2nd of Jan typically when its safe to travel onto the middle part of the lake for the most part, Depending on the year, The coves should start to ice over mid month but its going to be a crap shoot it looks like until at least mid month to even get started it seems, That is a big lake and the wind will beat down the ice, Need some single digit sub zero with calm winds to really get things going

Hey powderfreak,

Is this your webcam at 1500' elevation? I have the link saved on WxUnderground but it would be nice to know the exact elevation of that cam. Thanks

No. That is not an official resort webcam. It is on top of the Johnson's (a family) mountain home at the ski area. His weather station is usually very reliable and the web cam is great as he saves all those images and on Wunderground you can pick any day and do a time lapse loop.

The exact elevation of that camera is probably somewhere around 1,625ft or so.

Some photos from today...

Last night's sleet and freezing rain left overs. No evidence of any flakes, only the tell-tale crunchy mixture of ice pellets and freezing rain.

With cold temps, the snow guns were roaring today.

Still yikes for December 1st... absolutely nothing on the mountain except a trace of ice and sleet.

Can't even imagine the expense for running those guns almost non stop..

Millions per season. Its really not that expensive if we get down into the teens, but this 20-35F temp regime stuff on the majority of the mountain is pretty expensive. 14F is the best temp and the snowmaking at the summit today was pretty efficient with temps of 16-19F. At that point you need very little compressed air to make snow...thats where the expenses come from, the energy required/used by the compressors is nothing short of incredible. That's why making snow at marginal temps like 30F-32F is so expensive because you need to pump out a lot of compressed air relative to the amount of water. In the teens, you're pretty much just spraying small water droplets with a very little bit of compressed air to start the nucleation process.

No. That is not an official resort webcam. It is on top of the Johnson's (a family) mountain home at the ski area. His weather station is usually very reliable and the web cam is great as he saves all those images and on Wunderground you can pick any day and do a time lapse loop.

The exact elevation of that camera is probably somewhere around 1,625ft or so.

Thanks. Awesome pictures by the way

Snow squalls today?

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR NORTHERN NEW YORK...CENTRAL

VERMONT...NORTHEAST VERMONT AND NORTHWEST VERMONT.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.

A FAST MOVING COLD FRONT WILL BRING A PERIOD OF SNOW SHOWERS AND

POSSIBLE SNOW SQUALLS TODAY TO NORTHERN NEW YORK AND CENTRAL AND

NORTHERN VERMONT. THESE SNOW SHOWERS AND SQUALLS WILL LIKELY OCCUR

ACROSS NORTHERN NEW YORK LATE THIS MORNING INTO EARLY THIS

AFTERNOON...AND THEN ACROSS CENTRAL AND NORTHERN VERMONT DURING

THE EARLY TO MID AFTERNOON HOURS. VERY LOW VISIBILITY AND A QUICK

DUSTING TO 2 INCHES OF SNOW ARE EXPECTED WITH THIS ACTIVITY AND

MAY RESULT IN SLOW TRAVEL CONDITIONS FOR A TIME. THE HIGHEST SNOW

ACCUMULATIONS WILL OCCUR ACROSS NORTHERN NEW YORK AND ACROSS THE

NORTHERN GREEN MOUNTAINS IN VERMONT. SNOW MAY BE MIXED WITH RAIN

IN THE IMMEDIATE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY.

Listening to Roger Hill’s forecast from this morning, snow showers and squalls should be coming through this afternoon with the frontal passage. He’s not expecting much in the way of travel issues on the valley floors, but the heights of land could be a little tricky, and for accumulations he’s thinking a dusting to a half inch. The BTV NWS is going with up to 2 inches, and I was going to add the their Hazardous Weather Outlook below, but I see Powderfreak was already all over it early this morning!

The next snow potential beyond that is the Monday through Wednesday period; Roger said we’re potentially close to the rain/snow dividing line up here, so how much rain vs. how much snow falls will really depend on where that sets up. Roger was leaning more toward the rain side at this point, but it could be quite a good slug of rain, so it could get interesting for places that get into the snow. It should be fun to watch in any event; it would be nice to have one of those Jay Peak specials, although the overnight run of the ECMWF does have less snow than the midday run from yesterday. BTV NWS is also thinking mostly rain based on their discussion, with more snow toward the end of the event.

Yeah, EURO is very amped still for Wednesday. Not sure if thats a bias or the EURO sniffing out the setup better than the other models. All in all, there are huge differences...the GFS delivers a 4-8" overrunning event, as does the CMC and NOGAPS to a smaller extent, and the EURO s basically a gullywasher with an inch of rain.

Yeah, EURO is very amped still for Wednesday. Not sure if thats a bias or the EURO sniffing out the setup better than the other models. All in all, there are huge differences...the GFS delivers a 4-8" overrunning event, as does the CMC and NOGAPS to a smaller extent, and the EURO s basically a gullywasher with an inch of rain.

Ride the Euro, 21F here this morning, At least it feels like winter

Jspin....with the 0c 850 isotherm modeled location I don't really think above 3k is going to see mostly rain. BTV forecasts focus sub 2000ft and I guess Rog and I differ with "mostly rain."

I've been very partial to the EURO lately and its got us raining for like 3 days straight, haha. I am going to want it to start to shift colder here over the next 24-36 hours because if it locks into this solution then we'll be wet and not white. I sort of like the GGEM's depiction though of a light snow event followed by a larger mixed precip event later in the week.

I'm not sold on the snow but I'm starting to take on the pessimistic "mountain operations" view that Mother Nature will not be helping us out this year, haha. I've been spending way too much time in this building... need to go down to the marketing office to get a bit of optimism haha. Up here we plan for the worst case scenario and down there they plan for the best case scenario.

Nov IMBY:

Avg high: 48.33 Easily (by 2F) the mildest high temps for Nov.

Avg low: 26.13 Middle of road for avg low.

Mean: 37.23 2nd only to 2006 (37,85), and 2.9F above my 14-yr avg.

The avg diurnal spread of 22.2 is 5F above my avg for Nov, and 2F more than any other Nov.

Precip: 3.46" That's 1.4" below avg and lowest for Nov since 2001.

Snow: 11.2" 2nd only to 2002 (15.1")

The total of 15.7" before Dec 1 is my top, as 2002 had none in Oct and no other year reached 11".

On 11/30 the 6 O'Clock news noted that 2011 was PWM's warmest ever Nov. Their low for the 30th was listed at 53 due to that bizarre torch-deluge, so I wonder if '11 remains #1, as PWM was probably 40 or lower by midnight.

Nov IMBY:

Avg high: 48.33 Easily (by 2F) the mildest high temps for Nov.

Avg low: 26.13 Middle of road for avg low.

Mean: 37.23 2nd only to 2006 (37,85), and 2.9F above my 14-yr avg.

The avg diurnal spread of 22.2 is 5F above my avg for Nov, and 2F more than any other Nov.

Precip: 3.46" That's 1.4" below avg and lowest for Nov since 2001.

Snow: 11.2" 2nd only to 2002 (15.1")

The total of 15.7" before Dec 1 is my top, as 2002 had none in Oct and no other year reached 11".

On 11/30 the 6 O'Clock news noted that 2011 was PWM's warmest ever Nov. Their low for the 30th was listed at 53 due to that bizarre torch-deluge, so I wonder if '11 remains #1, as PWM was probably 40 or lower by midnight.

interesting data T.

guess it really depends on how you look at things. awful warm and awful snowy all at the same. the theorists of coordination dynamics would love this :)

Jspin....with the 0c 850 isotherm modeled location I don't really think above 3k is going to see mostly rain. BTV forecasts focus sub 2000ft and I guess Rog and I differ with "mostly rain."

I've been very partial to the EURO lately and its got us raining for like 3 days straight, haha. I am going to want it to start to shift colder here over the next 24-36 hours because if it locks into this solution then we'll be wet and not white. I sort of like the GGEM's depiction though of a light snow event followed by a larger mixed precip event later in the week.

I'm not sold on the snow but I'm starting to take on the pessimistic "mountain operations" view that Mother Nature will not be helping us out this year, haha. I've been spending way too much time in this building... need to go down to the marketing office to get a bit of optimism haha. Up here we plan for the worst case scenario and down there they plan for the best case scenario.

Roger is usually pretty good about mentioning the snow even if it’s only going to be for the highest elevations, since he focuses on North-Central Vermont and knows how important mountain weather/snowfall is around here, but he very easily could have been focusing on just the more populated elevations this far in advance. He absolutely left the door open for snow though (at least at the point of his 6:15 AM broadcast) – he mentioned that the rain/snow line (in terms of latitude) could still end up down by us, or up around Montreal. PF, certainly your snow disposition is on the pessimistic side most of the time, and I’ve assumed that’s an “occupational hazard” and part of your professionalism. The same goes for adk, although he’s not quite as pessimistic as you, hehe. I certainly prefer that over folks throwing out huge numbers all over the place just for the fun of it, but I get it that that’s less of an issue for guys that are excited and simply having fun with their hobby. I find that things are generally very professional and conservative from the NNE crew on the forum, which I enjoy. One thing that makes that easier is that with so many snow chances up here in the north, there’s plenty of snow to talk about even from a conservative slant – with latitude, elevation, and upslope on your side, it tends to snow more often than not. The NNE discussion currently going on from the mets and forecasters is great because clearly it means there’s some potential out there for some snow next week.

I'm merely a weather observer, (amazed and appreciative of how good you all are at documenation), its still 3 weeks from the solstice, flip this to 3 weeks on the spring side of the solstice and the tone stays the same for some, bitchy, only then its because it won't stop snowing, my mastering of the obvious is still is refinement but it seems a little premature to go on expecting 50's, mowing the yard, swatting mosquito's for the next 5 months, 6 if you spend any time above 2500' - winter hasn't failed to show yet. as my dad would say, some people suffer from optirectitis, a condition where the optic nerve gets crossed with the rectum giving the person a shi**y outlook on life, certainly a painful way to go

it's now spittin snow here in town

and if that wasn't enough to get spirits up, the beloved B's went undefeated in Nov.

Archived