Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Late Fall & Early Winter

Allenson

Impressive pics.

We've actually stayed cooler than MVL today. Max so far is 43.8F, but we've been oscillating between 40-42F for the last 15 minutes. Meanwhile CON-MHT-ASH have been back to 50F again.

Yeah you are in a good spot for CAD... the warm air definitely gets in here first before you guys further east. High at MVL is 47F so far and that was with a 12mph wind. It went calm and the next hour was down to 44F. My digital is showing a max of 45.9F (so 46F) and its currently 44F. The ski resort was up near 50F when I left the base to come home, so like the past couple days I watched a solid 5+F drop driving down the hill.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it's never truly broken here today so far. Got up to 43F again today but with steady solid cloud cover rolling in after an incredible sunrise. Call it cool, gray and a little raw with solid potato snowcover.

41F currently.

Last day of rifle season here in VT. I'm glad for the end--I don't have any problems with hunting and even half-heartedly try my hand a couple times a season on our land. However, we get these tribes of yahoos that come down our road, park in the woods behind the house and fan out in these driving hordes. They've been known to bring kids with them, screaming a hollaring, they leave trash behind and they tear up the road in empty-handed frustration on their way out. They come every year and it's no wonder I've never seen them bag one. When I run into them in person I always say "nope, seen nothing but does".

I found our local buck's fresh tracks in the snow this morning. He's made it this far and his secret is safe with me.... :pimp:

pretty sad if I do say so myself Allenson. Ignorant shouldn't be on the list of things to be proud of IMO, driving is fine, but the rest...

ditto on the sunrise, got lucky, had 2 doe walk in to 15 yards this morning, took the first one a half a second to realize I was there, those moments make those half second last a lifetime, no tags filled, but saw some great woods, had fun following tracks, saw some fox, owls, red damn squirrels, turkeys, grouse, tons of moose sign and bear sign so all in all it goes into the decent catagory

best bear print I've seen yet, (on the ground)

IMG_0040.jpg

forgot to add: awesome pics PF, really captures the valley/situation nicely

Down to 37.9F. There's still full coverage of the snowpack remaining although it's down to about 2". I'm surprised it has last this long. I think we finally break through tomorrow and torch whatever is left with temps/dews in the MU50s/MU40s.

Last night just torched our final few inches in town... now just snow banks and a few shaded areas but snow cover is gone for the most part. It was 47F at my house at ~800ft and its 55F up here at 1,500ft! 55F at 5am!! You can almost smell pineapple on the breeze.

4,000ft...43F

1,500ft...55F

800ft...47F

This better not be a pattern this year.. I've never seen this before but we are on like the 4th day of an all-out torch in the mid elevation band. I wish we had "normals" developed for this spot as I would have to think the departures up here are running better than 20F+ for the past 72-96 hours. 1,300-2,500ft should be A LOT colder than what we've seen here in late November.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KVTSTOWE3

Last night just torched our final few inches in town... now just snow banks and a few shaded areas but snow cover is gone for the most part. It was 47F at my house at ~800ft and its 55F up here at 1,500ft! 55F at 5am!! You can almost smell pineapple on the breeze.

4,000ft...43F

1,500ft...55F

800ft...47F

This better not be a pattern this year.. I've never seen this before but we are on like the 4th day of an all-out torch in the mid elevation band. I wish we had "normals" developed for this spot as I would have to think the departures up here are running better than 20F+ for the past 72-96 hours. 1,300-2,500ft should be A LOT colder than what we've seen here in late November.

http://www.wundergro...sp?ID=KVTSTOWE3

It's really astounding. I've seen inversions but this has been strange. Just simply very weird. Its bound to change. And the morning operational GFS runs seem to at least indicate a return to a more seasonal pattern with I guess a few shots at upslope snow later in the week. But in this nina pattern we're just running the risk of warm ups like this until we can get some sustained blocking or persistant features.

Since it's my first full winter here, I'm assuming it's going to be a terrible snow year. I do tend to bring the heat.

It's really astounding. I've seen inversions but this has been strange. Just simply very weird. Its bound to change. And the morning operational GFS runs seem to at least indicate a return to a more seasonal pattern with I guess a few shots at upslope snow later in the week. But in this nina pattern we're just running the risk of warm ups like this until we can get some sustained blocking or persistant features.

Since it's my first full winter here, I'm assuming it's going to be a terrible snow year. I do tend to bring the heat.

Haha, it'll turn around at some point. It always does. That's the benefit of being up here is there will be at least a 4-6 week period of great skiing. Even the bad winters like the first half of 2006, always seem to have some turn-around point where mother nature tries to redeem herself.

Back down to the mid-30s this morning but >32.

Still 5" at the stake.

pretty sad if I do say so myself Allenson. Ignorant shouldn't be on the list of things to be proud of IMO, driving is fine, but the rest...

forgot to add: awesome pics PF, really captures the valley/situation nicely

Yeah, they're annoying. We're the only house at the end of a class IV road which provides good access to a large wooded ridge, hence the popularity of this spot. Normally there's no traffic here except for us but those three weekends of rifle season are busy.

Great bear track shot! We had a large bear around here but it was shot a couple weeks ago...

And yes, excellent pics Powderfreak--crazy to see bare up high and snow down low...

Back down to the mid-30s this morning but >32.

Still 5" at the stake.

Yeah you guys to the east are hanging tough with the cold air. I'm surprised at 1,200ft you've remained so cold but I guess that's the benefit of a sheltered hollow. 1,200ft over here has been right at the torch line. And I'm amazed that we've been as warm as we have at 1,500ft here because usually there can be a cool pocket here at the mouth of Smugglers Notch with big terrain on all sides. But I think the mountains are helping mix down the wind aloft and the warmth, probably even some rare downsloping/compressional warming here.

Temps are all over the place but I notice the coldest ASOS in Burlington's county warning area is Springfield at 37F. They are a full 20F lower than MVL right now which has torched to 57F like up here at the mountain.

Yeah you guys to the east are hanging tough with the cold air. I'm surprised at 1,200ft you've remained so cold but I guess that's the benefit of a sheltered hollow. 1,200ft over here has been right at the torch line.

I'm surprised too. I haven't been up to the heights just west of here where the passable roads reach 1800-2000' but perhaps they've torched more than we have here. Maybe it's been due to the successive north-south ridges between here and the Champlain war air funnel. Not only are the Greens themselves in the way, but also the Northfield Range, the smaller ridges east of there and finally the Orange Heights all standing in the way.

It's been a few ticks cooler in the immediate CT River valley, where hvysnow79 lives, than we have here which is certainly unusual. I'll be headed that way soon.

And sweet sunrise pic from yesterday. I went out a took a few myself yesterday morning. I'll have a look through, see if any are good and post if that's the case.

Boy, the Plymouth NH area sure holds on to the cold air. Have been out doing errands this early afternoon and the temp is 39-42F around the area. Snow cover is holding and is still 5-6" inches deep at the bottom of my hill at 600 feet. Climb the 500 feet up to my house and the snow is almost gone and I am a full 10F warmer at 52F. I bet it is warmer than that just above me. My webcam shot shows the stable low level cold and decreased visablity sitting on the valley floors

post-268-0-42526200-1322509851.jpg

Boy, the Plymouth NH area sure holds on to the cold air. Have been out doing errands this early afternoon and the temp is 39-42F around the area. Snow cover is holding and is still 5-6" inches deep at the bottom of my hill at 600 feet. Climb the 500 feet up to my house and the snow is almost gone and I am a full 10F warmer at 52F. I bet it is warmer than that just above me. My webcam shot shows the stable low level cold and decreased visablity sitting on the valley floors

At 3 PM, Plymouth's 41 was colder than any NE stations except MWN (36) and FVE (38). Next after that is CAR at 47.

The warmth finally reached MBY today, after 3 days of mostly dank afternoons near 40 (Fri-Sun highs were 43/41/39.) Wunderground has obs mid 50s near my place, so I don't expect much if any of this morning's 3" residual snow to have survived. Gfs has some significant cold (h85: -15 to -20C) for middle of next week; we'll see if and when.

Deer tag remains safely in my pocket - lots of right-place-wrong-time, which included missing a chance to see a large buck during the +SN, because I chose the wrong sequence of my two places to wait. Thursday's crystal morning was worth the whole season, though - pure blue, flat calm and 6F, snow frosting every twig, almost achingly beautiful.

That sounds about right, lol. This has been crazy. BTW, what's your elevation at home again? I seem to think you are around 700ft, no?

I'm at 615ft. The bottom of my hill is near 400ft and the top is about 800-850ft. It's currently 52F after a high of 54F. The snowpack here took a beating over the last 24hrs from the high wetbulbs. There's > 50% coverage in the yard, but there's grass showing in spots now. At the top of the hill all of the snow was gone except for some snowbanks. Down at ~400ft it looked similar to here.

Coming north from CON there was absolutely no snow until about 2-3 miles from my exit. Then within the course of 1 mile it went from nothing to quite a bit of snow in the woods with low fog hanging over it. CON-southward is in the 60s so I imagine the little bit of snow left has been able to keep me in the low 50s. I'd assume those 40s near Plymouth will slowly drain back southward tonight.

I'm at 615ft. The bottom of my hill is near 400ft and the top is about 800-850ft. It's currently 52F after a high of 54F. The snowpack here took a beating over the last 24hrs from the high wetbulbs. There's > 50% coverage in the yard, but there's grass showing in spots now. At the top of the hill all of the snow was gone except for some snowbanks. Down at ~400ft it looked similar to here.

Coming north from CON there was absolutely no snow until about 2-3 miles from my exit. Then within the course of 1 mile it went from nothing to quite a bit of snow in the woods with low fog hanging over it. CON-southward is in the 60s so I imagine the little bit of snow left has been able to keep me in the low 50s. I'd assume those 40s near Plymouth will slowly drain back southward tonight.

Cool... yeah we are down to just snowbanks here. It went very quickly from those pictures I took yesterday afternoon. What was solid 4", maybe 5" cover just vanished last night. I guess we couldn't get a full 3rd night of sub-freezing inversion. Last night it was mid/upper 40s here in the valley east of Mansfield while you guys further east were barely above freezing in the mid 30s. The world has reversed itself back to the normal order of things... the only remaining snow cover is 3,000ft and up.

Think I'll see any snow if I manage to make it up to Rangeley tomorrow (been delayed by car trouble)? Rt 17 does get up close to 2500' and there was 12" at Sunday River. I doubt there's any in Rangeley .. Saddleback only got 7".

My guess is no not after a 2nd night of mid-upper 30s. Maybe if I had made it up today.

Think I'll see any snow if I manage to make it up to Rangeley tomorrow (been delayed by car trouble)? Rt 17 does get up close to 2500' and there was 12" at Sunday River. I doubt there's any in Rangeley .. Saddleback only got 7".

My guess is no not after a 2nd night of mid-upper 30s. Maybe if I had made it up today.

Eustis and the Rangeley area did not do that well in the last storm, I would say if there is some it won't be much if any snow left

Should still be some in evergreen areas - the snow was fairly dry up there and most filtered thru the branches. Other than that, probably just the north slopes will hve much, at least "downtown" at 1,600' rather than in places well over 2,000'.

Should still be some in evergreen areas - the snow was fairly dry up there and most filtered thru the branches. Other than that, probably just the north slopes will hve much, at least "downtown" at 1,600' rather than in places well over 2,000'.

Did this inversion pattern make it that far east or was it situated higher up? Here those were the exact elevations that lost the snow first. Still have some snowbanks and north facing piles in town at 800ft but snows been long gone from 1,500-2,000ft for a few days now.

Another 47F degree morning at 1,500ft while MVL in the valley is sitting at 41-42F. At least its better than the 55F yesterday morning up here.

Archived