Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Late Fall & Early Winter

Allenson

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That’s great to hear PF, glad the mountain is getting in on the goods as well! It’s too bad you guys are opening though, with just the couple of trails this new snow won’t last more than a few minutes – especially with the capacity of the new quad. I’m assuming nothing has been made over at Spruce yet? This new snow would go great with a base. What a great day for the opening ceremony on the new quad though!

Yeah we are at 8.2" at 1,550ft as of 9:30am at Mountain Operations. Right around 10" on the upper Toll Road which was bare yesterday.

The snow definitely has some heft to it... but I must say the conditions are awesome for opening day. That powder lasted several laps and its still there. Centerline was ungroomed and beautiful this morning and the trails still have a lot of snow to push around, especially on the edges. Sure beats last year's ice sheet, and ribbon of death. With it continuing to snow good with this latest batch moving through, the trails should stay fresh.

We have certainly had renewed snowfall with this batch. Looks like last slug of moisture before we taper to scattered snow showers and flurries.

6.5" this morning as of 7:30 this morning. It was nice to clear off the board and still have the snow falling.

Sounds good... I didn't get a good measurement this morning before I left my house but that sounds right. The ski area base was about an inch ahead of town at that point then.

Probably 7-7.5" in town now.

Added another 2.6" as of 12:30. 9.1" total so far and there is still light snow falling.

9.1" was my final at the base of the ski resort with one clearing of the measuring surface at 6am... parking lot still had right around 9" in it on the unplowed areas of the Mansfield lot.

Solid storm and the last band is moving through now.

Spring skiing Saturday.

Haha tell me about it... this was a nice QPF dump of close to 1" liquid most likely (no way we had higher than 10:1 ratios in that 9.1" and probably actually more like 8:1) in the form of dense needles. It is/would be amazing base building snow if it wasn't going to get so warm. Either way, I bet some of this is able to stick around on the shadowy north facing aspects of the mountain.

MOS and model 2m temps have widespread 10s tomorrow morning with single digits in the low elevations of the north country. That would be the first teens of the year here.

Yeah if we clear out we will go low with fresh snowpack. Lowest here this season is 14F, followed by 17F, and 18F. We will have to see where tonight fits in.

I still can't get over how lucky we were to get this event in this pattern. Our local ASOS is running over 4F above normal here 23 days into the month, and yet we pull off a warning criteria event across the north country.

Since this was our first notable snowfall of the season and I got a few pictures, I figured I would share some info on the new snowboard setup we’ve got in place. My wife wanted a planter to fill in some space off the far corner of the back deck, so we made that this summer and used some of our leftover composite material for the siding and trim around the top. Because this was the spot where I used to have my elevated snowboard, I decided to integrate a new snowboard setup into the planter. This works out well because the structure serves a dual purpose: holding plants during the warm season and holding the snowboard in the cold season. For the snowboard setup, I got a couple of 2’ x 2’ pieces of ¾” thick white composite building material from my dad like I’ve done before. In this case though, there is another approximately 1’ by 1’ piece of the same material attached right underneath the center of the board. This second piece fits right into the roughly 1’ x 1’ hole of the planter and keeps the snowboard in position. This is a nice clean and stable setup, but the coolest part in my mind, and certainly in a practical sense, is that fact that I’ve got two of these boards set up to go into the unit. One of the most time-consuming parts of maintaining a permanently fixed snowboard is trying to clean accumulated ice and refrozen materials off the top, especially if one wants a pristine flat surface for taking core samples. I’ve found in the past that with my mobile, ground-based snowboards, all I have to do is place them next to the house (or near the exterior exhaust for our water heater if more heat is needed), and any frozen accumulations will melt away by the next time I need the board again. With the two boards for the new setup, I can do the same thing. If the installed board has any crud on it, instead of sitting there with the ice scraper like I’ve done for the past few seasons, I just pop the board out, slap in a new one, and it’s good to go. Even if accumulated frozen material isn’t an issue, this technique can still be used if it’s snowing to beat the band and you want to get the new board in place while making measurements or taking cores off the old one. This morning’s 6:00 A.M. board clearing was easy, but I did a board switch anyway to check out the process and it was very slick. I even did the switch technique this afternoon instead of pulling out my squeegee to clean all liquid off the board from the melted snow. I just figured I’d share this technique with other potential observers, in case anyone uses or is thinking of using a permanent/semi-permanent snowboard setup. I’m certainly not going to miss the ice scraping. I added a couple of the relevant snowboard shots from this morning below:

23NOV11A.jpg

23NOV11B.jpg

This was a sweet event in my book; we haven't had a good, old warning-criteria synoptic snowstorm in November in a while. We've had upslope events but this has some nice heft to it.

On that note PF, I’ve wanted to comment on our November snowfall. Since it has been so feast or famine over the past few seasons (incredibly so - see the plot of my data below) this is the first time I’ve seen an “average” November in terms of snowfall at my location. The deviation is huge in my small sample set of course, but going with what I’ve got for data perhaps we’re getting there on an average. It doesn’t look like there’s going to be anything too big in terms of snowfall for the rest of the month, with the next mention of snow in our point and click being snow showers on Tuesday night (Nov 29), so this may be about where we end up. I’ve posted the November snowfall chart before, but I figured I’d add it here since in this month of warm temperatures and crazy weather swings, it’s sort of ironic that it’s coming in as the most “middle of the road” in terms of snowfall here.

0612novembersnowfall.jpg

Well, I guess the snow isn’t done quite yet. Light snow broke out about 10 minutes ago and is currently falling. It’s not really showing up on even the composite radar…

24NOV11A.gif

...but perhaps it’s “under” the radar so to speak based on what BTV has in their discussion:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM FRIDAY MORNING/... AS OF 1009 AM EST THURSDAY...STRATUS DECK WILL LIKELY HOLD FIRM TODAY GIVEN STRONG INVERSION 950-850MB LAYER PER 12Z ALB SOUNDING AND AVAILABLE RUC FCST SOUNDINGS. THIS WILL LIKELY ALSO HOLD TEMPERATURES SLIGHTLY BELOW MOS VALUES. WINDS WILL GRADUALLY BECOME S-SW 5-10 MPH...MAINLY WEST OF THE GREEN MTNS...WITH WINDS MORE LIGHT/VARIABLE EAST OF THE GREENS. COULD BE A BRIEF FLURRY OR TWO...BUT SHALLOW NATURE OF CLOUD DECK AND BUILDING HEIGHTS ALOFT WILL GENERALLY PRECLUDE ANY PCPN TODAY OR TONIGHT.

It does have the feel of the snow that sprinkles down from low elevation, even like the diamond dust we get during those cold spells, but the flakes are a bit bigger than that. Anyway, certainly feeling like winter around here with the constant snowfall.

Archived