• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
November 2011 Obs/Forecasting Discussion

WxUSAF

Isn't that kind of necessary in a Nina though? I think before a pattern change from warm to cold storms would track to our north at first usually, then later I think disturbances ride up the coast along the stale boundary or swing to our south which would require some SE ridge? I can't recall a pattern flip here in winter starting and ending with snow/mix.

Feb 11-12, 2006 (end cold period)

Dec 5, 2007 (start cold)

Mar 1-2, 2009 (start cold)

Those are a few off the top of my head...I know 1/26 last year was in the middle of a cold pattern, so that obviously doesn't qualify.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1320893678[/url]' post='1108145']

Isn't that kind of necessary in a Nina though? I think before a pattern change from warm to cold storms would track to our north at first usually, then later I think disturbances ride up the coast along the stale boundary or swing to our south which would require some SE ridge? I can't recall a pattern flip here in winter starting and ending with snow/mix.

The problem is the cold periods often end up being dry and when we finally get a storm it tracks to our north/west.

I don't mind delayed starts. Early events usually mix for me anyway. Not to say we won't have something to track in December. I'm pretty sure we will. But I don't need cold in November. How is the MJO doing? On my phone now. I haven't checked. I think it was racing through the early and middle phases a couple weeks ago?

Matt, We're in 5 heading for 6. I don't thinnk the mjo signal is quite as robust in fall as it is in winter because of the changinv wavelengths. By the Nov-Jan period, phases 7,8, and 1 are cold in the east and by D-Feb it shifts a little later to phases 8,1,2.

GFS breaks down the big high in the GOA early and keeps it away through the run. SE ridge not that strong and fades away.

Pretty much progressive and seasonal for us through the lr. Nothing really significant either way with wam/cold. Hopefully the first decent +PNA pops the week after thanksgiving. It would put Dec 5th in play. lol

if today's front came through in a month or so, we'd have a nice little period of snow I'd betcha'

depends on how much it had to do with sean. i doubt the front would have been crawling so slow at least.. and sean probably helped throw some moistuer back over top the cold dome.

here's some good news long term

you've all seen the FSU link for snow cover: http://moe.met.fsu.edu/snow/

well, if you go down to the 3rd graph down-5 Year Snow Cover and click on the link "35N-55N" right under the year 2009, you get the last 5 year snow cover for the area 35N through 55N

looky there....now that's a good trend over the past 5 years

3555time-5year.png

Orh would disagree. He has been defending their performance including nailing the late October blast

The week one forecast (which is actually the 5-11 day forecast) usually does okay/good, but if he tries to argue beyond that, I can tell you right now that the other weeks beyond that can often be (and usually are) way off.

Looking at the most recent verification for a week two forecast (12-18 day) from the Euro weeklies, it showed above normal to much above normal temperatures over the western half of the U.S. and Canada and below normal in the eastern half. The verification was just the opposite over the western U.S. and Canada is completely the opposite, though it did mange to get the belows over the eastern U.S. right. So yeah, it got everything wrong except the eastern U.S.

Archived