Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
November General Banter

Gastonwxman

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question @ any iOS device holders... Anyone have/use radar scope? Granted it is one of the most expensive app store radar apps, think it was $9.99, however, I pulled the trigger on day one with the iPhone 3GS and have been handsomely rewarded ever since. Since then, we have upgraded to a iPad2 and couple 4S's, and scope has updated with 4 dual-pole products out of MHX. Differential Reflectivity, Correlation Coefficient, Differential Phase Tilt 1-4, and Hydrometeor Classification 1-4. Just putting this out there for banter and OT SE wx side discussion. GRLevelX wants another 200 bucks on top of my L2 package which I already have for these products. Talking to a local Chief Met here, these are the only for products that have been made available to the public. I have pressed the developer of Radarscope for a L2 data feed, and it may be forthcoming. Just getting the message out, especially as the new implantation is rolled to more sites. :)

Question @ any iOS device holders... Anyone have/use radar scope? Granted it is one of the most expensive app store radar apps, think it was $9.99, however, I pulled the trigger on day one with the iPhone 3GS and have been handsomely rewarded ever since. Since then, we have upgraded to a iPad2 and couple 4S's, and scope has updated with 4 dual-pole products out of MHX. Differential Reflectivity, Correlation Coefficient, Differential Phase Tilt 1-4, and Hydrometeor Classification 1-4. Just putting this out there for banter and OT SE wx side discussion. GRLevelX wants another 200 bucks on top of my L2 package which I already have for these products. Talking to a local Chief Met here, these are the only for products that have been made available to the public. I have pressed the developer of Radarscope for a L2 data feed, and it may be forthcoming. Just getting the message out, especially as the new implantation is rolled to more sites. :)

Best radar app out there, hands down. and to $9.99 a bigger bonus. My older Droid can't run it, so I'm going to have to upgrade my phone before I can use it. But... it will be the first app I put on it.

I noticed you can get a dual pol feed from the University of Iowa for GRL2 now.

I have it on my iPod touch...I'll have to invest in a 4S. IMO you should be able to pay a flat fee for 2 & 3, and around double if you want Analyst too... I bought 3 a while ago but now I kinda want 2 for obvious reasons, but don't have the extra dough.

Don't forget that Sunday Daylight Saving Time ends so be sure to set those clocks back an hour when you head into bed. I think mostly everyone would like to be able to get that extra hour of sleep. :sleepy: I actually like it when we get dark early. Gets me into the winter mood even more especially when you're able to turn the Christmas lights on early during the evenings. :santa:

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/enso/mei/mei.html

From Klaus Wolter

. "La Niña appears to have staged a comeback similar to 2008, and consistent with expectations formulated right here one year ago: big La Niña events have a strong tendency to re-emerge after 'taking time off' during northern hemispheric summer. Based on current atmosphere-ocean conditions, I believe the odds for a La Niña winter have indeed risen to 100%, with the odds of La Niña conditions continuing right into early spring (say, March-April 2012) at well above 50%. However, it does not appear likely that we will see as strong an event as in 2010-11."

Not sure if this was posted, but I thought it was a good write up....From what I read on the CPC site this looks to be like a "east based" La Nina, which I would guess would be better for us.

http://theweathercen...r-forecast.html

Looks reasonable to me, though only one of their storm tracks would be good for east TN. Time will tell.

Looks reasonable to me, though only one of their storm tracks would be good for east TN. Time will tell.

Well, I guess the good thing, at least for central NC, is if this winter is going to be a bust than it should be a warm dry bust. A warm/dry bust is a a close second to wintry weather.

The GFS and ECMWF have a strong Southeast ridge starting in about a week, and lasting a while. As a deep trough is out west, the amped flow could push some record highs toward the Southeast. Atleast well above normal temps. 60s and 70's.

well that sucks lol. although i'd rather the ridge be here now instead of dec. or jan :snowman: i just hope that the dreaded se ridge isnt here most of the winter :angry:

well that sucks lol. although i'd rather the ridge be here now instead of dec. or jan :snowman: i just hope that the dreaded se ridge isnt here most of the winter :angry:

I've asked the question before about if there is any correlation between a warm November and a cold winter (and vise versa). Some have said that the patterns become set in November so a cold November is what you want. But just from memory, it seems when we have a cold November the following winter is not that bad (and vise versa). It's kind of like a seesaw. We have three periods of winter (front, middle, end), and you want the seesaw to be down for the front, up in the middle (January thaw), and then back down again for the end. The seesaw it up now hopefully it can fall by the 1st of December.

Checkout the storm in the bering sea, they are calling it a "superstorm" which is going to rival the strongest storm on record there which occurred back in 1974. The storm could get as low as 940mb

.SEVERE BERING SEA STORM EXPECTED TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY...

A RAPIDLY DEVELOPING STORM LOCATED ABOUT 600 MILES SOUTHWEST

OF SHEMYA THIS AFTERNOON WILL INTENSIFY INTO ONE OF THE

MOST SEVERE BERING SEA STORMS ON RECORD AS IT MOVES NORTHWARD

ACROSS THE CHUKOTSK PENINSULA TUESDAY NIGHT. THIS STORM

HAS THE POTENTIAL TO PRODUCE WIDESPREAD DAMAGE.

THE STORM WILL PRODUCE WIDESPREAD WINDS OF 40 TO 55 MPH

WITH HIGHER GUSTS OVER THE WEST COAST TUESDAY NIGHT INTO

WEDNESDAY EVENING. STRONG WEST WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO CONTINUE

OVER ST LAWRENCE ISLAND WEDNESDAY NIGHT. GUSTS TO 70 MPH CAN BE

EXPECTED ALONG THE CHUKOTSK PENINSULA AND IN AREAS NEAR KOTZEBUE.

WINDS OF 60 TO 75 MPH ARE EXPECTED OVER ST LAWRENCE ISLAND AND

THE BERING STRAIT COAST. WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO APPROACH HURRICANE

FORCE OVER THE CHUKCHI SEA AND NORTHERN BERING SEA. THE STRONG

WINDS WILL GENERATE SEAS TO AS HIGH AS 20 FEET OVER THE CHUKCHI

SEA...AND TO 15 TO 25 FEET OVER THE NORTHERN BERING SEA.

THE STRONG WINDS WILL PUSH LARGE AMOUNTS OF WATER INTO NORTON

SOUND...RAISING SEA LEVELS TO AS HIGH AS 8 TO 9 FEET ABOVE NORMAL

TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT. THE HIGH SEA LEVELS

COMBINED WITH HIGH WAVES WILL PRODUCE SEVERE BEACH EROSION AND

MAJOR COASTAL FLOODING ALONG THE NORTHERN AND EASTERN SHORES OF

NORTON SOUND AND ALONG THE BERING STRAIT COAST. HIGH WATER

LEVELS WILL PRODUCE COASTAL FLOODING ALONG THE SOUTHERN

SHORE OF NORTON SOUND. STRONG WINDS AND WAVE ACTION MAY PUSH

ICE IN NORTON BAY ON SHORE.

MODERATELY ELEVATED SEA LEVELS AND HIGH WAVES WILL CAUSE

SEVERE BEACH EROSION AND MAJOR COASTAL FLOODING ALONG THE

SOUTH AND WEST FACING COASTS OF ST LAWRENCE ISLAND TUESDAY

THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

ALONG THE CHUKCHI SEA COAST FROM CAPE KRUSENSTERN NORTHWEST...

SOUTHEAST WINDS GUSTING TO A HIGH AS 70 MPH WILL PRODUCE HIGH

WAVES AND SOME ELEVATION OF SEA LEVELS...RESULTING IN SEVERE

BEACH EROSION AND MAJOR COASTAL FLOODING. THE VILLAGE OF

KIVALINA WILL BE HIGHLY VULNERABLE TO DAMAGE CAUSED BY

BEACH EROSION AND COASTAL FLOODING.

THE STORM WILL ALSO PRODUCE SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL AND BLIZZARD

CONDITIONS OVER ALMOST ALL OF THE WEST COAST TUESDAY NIGHT

AND WEDNESDAY. SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF AS MUCH AS 14 INCHES

ARE EXPECTED ALONG THE SOUTHERN SEWARD PENINSULA COAST AND

IN PARTS OF THE INTERIOR SEWARD PENINSULA.

AGAIN...THIS IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND LIFE THREATENING

STORM WHICH WILL BE ONE OF THE WORST ON RECORD OVER THE BERING

SEA AND THE WEST COAST.

$$

Wouldn't you love to have this forecast

AKZ213-090445-

ST LAWRENCE ISLAND AND BERING STRAIT COAST-

INCLUDING...GAMBELL...SAVOONGA...BREVIG MISSION...TELLER...

WALES...DIOMEDE

444 AM AKST TUE NOV 8 2011

...HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO NOON AKST

WEDNESDAY...

...COASTAL FLOOD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO

MIDNIGHT AKST WEDNESDAY NIGHT...

.TODAY...CLOUDY WITH SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS. SCATTERED RAIN

SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS 35 TO 40. SOUTH WINDS 35 TO 50

MPH INCREASING TO 50 TO 65 MPH MID DAY.

.TONIGHT...WIDESPREAD RAIN...THEN WIDESPREAD SNOW AFTER MIDNIGHT.

SNOW ACCUMULATION TO 4 INCHES. LOWS AROUND 35. SOUTH WINDS

INCREASING TO 60 TO 75 MPH. STRONGEST WINDS NEAR SAVOONGA.

.WEDNESDAY...WIDESPREAD RAIN AND SNOW IN THE MORNING...THEN SNOW

LIKELY IN THE AFTERNOON. SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 6 INCHES. HIGHS

35 TO 40. SOUTH WINDS 55 TO 70 MPH DIMINISHING TO 40 TO 55 MPH MID

I read their discussions quite often (always curious as to what goes on up there) and they have powerful storms all the time but I have never seen such strong wording before.

FXAK69 PAFG 072254

AFDAFG

NORTHERN ALASKA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FAIRBANKS AK

154 PM AKST MON NOV 7 2011

.DISCUSSION...

CURRENT MODELS AGREE WELL ON THE DEVELOPMENT AND TRACK

OF BERING SEA SUPERSTORM WHICH WILL CAUSE SEVERE BEACH

EROSION AND MAJOR COASTAL FLOODING OVER PARTS OF THE

WEST COAST. MAXIMUM WIND SPEEDS OVER MOST WEST COAST

AREAS WILL BE GALE TO STORM FORCE...HURRICANE FORCE GUSTS

IN AKZ207-AKZ213. OVER WATER...HURRICANE FORCE WINDS

EXPECTED PKZ210-PKZ220. THIS WILL BE ONE OF THE MOST SEVERE

BERING SEA STORMS ON RECORD. BLIZZARD CONDITIONS AND

SIGNIFICANT SNOW EXPECTED IN AKZ207-AKZ208-AKZ209-AKZ210-

AKZ211-AKZ212-AKZ213-AKZ214. WINDS INCREASING OVER MUCH OF

THE ARCTIC COAST WED...EAST TO SOUTHEAST 30-40 MPH IN AKZ201

AND 40-50 MPH IN AKZ201. BLIZZARD OR NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS

POSSIBLE WED IN AKZ201.

973 MB STORM ABOUT 600 MILES SOUTHWEST OF SHEMYA AT

MID AFTERNOON DEEPENING RAPIDLY TO AROUND 945-950 MB

MILES WEST OF ST MATTHEW ISLAND BY 00Z WED...MOVING

TO NORTH OF THE CHUKOTSK PENINSULA BY 00Z THU WITH

CENTRAL PRESSURE NEAR 950 MB. LOWEST CENTRAL PRESSURE

WILL BE NEAR 940 MB.

LIGHT SNOW OR SNOW SHOWERS SOUTHEAST INTERIOR AND EASTERN

ALASKA RANGE TONIGHT...TAPERING OFF TUE.

APPROXIMATE SNOW AMOUNTS EXPECTED TUE NIGHT THROUGH WED...

AKZ207...5-9 INCHES

AKZ208...6-8 INCHES

AKZ209...5-8 INCHES

AKZ210...9-14 INCHES...SMALLER AMOUNTS NORTH PARTS

AKZ212...5-10 INCHES

AKZ214...4-8 INCHES

COASTAL HAZARD POTENTIAL...

MAJOR COASTAL FLOODING AND SEVERE BEACH EROSION EXPECTED

TUE NIGHT THROUGH WED NIGHT FOR THE FOLLOWING AREAS:

1. BERING SEA COAST FROM CAPE ROMANZOF TO POINT ROMANOF.

2. EASTERN AND NORTHERN SHORELINE OF NORTON SOUND.

3. SOUTH AND WEST FACING SHORES OF BERING STRAIT COAST...

ST LAWRENCE ISLAND...LITTLE DIOMEDE.

4. CHUKCHI SEA COAST FROM CAPE KRUSENSTERN TO POINT HOPE.

5. ADDITIONALLY...HIGH WATER LEVELS IN NORTON SOUND WILL

CAUSE COASTAL FLOODING IN LOW LYING AREAS ALONG

THE SOUTHERN SHORE OF NORTON SOUND.

TIDAL LEVELS WILL BE AS HIGH AS 8-9 FEET ABOVE NORMAL

IN NORTON SOUND...ALONG THE BERING STRAIT COAST...AND

ALONG THE BERING SEA COAST FROM CAPE ROMANZOF TO POINT

ROMANOF. TIDES MAY AS HIGH AS 3 FEET ABOVE NORMAL ALONG

PARTS OF THE CHUKCHI SEA COAST FROM CAPE KRUSENSTERN

NORTHWEST TO POINT HOPE. STRONG WINDS AND WAVES WILL

PUSH ICE IN NORTON BAY ONSHORE.

IN THE NOME AREA...MAXIMUM STORM SURGE OF AROUND 8 FEET IS

EXPECTED EARLY WED EVENING.

Okay, which one of you is this?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=5ahxnrdp0LU

All I can say is WOW! Are you serious, I mean living in the Gulf South means you deal with Cockroaches. My family is from NO and we used to say that was one of things we did not miss when we moved to the Carolinas, but come on this guy needs to grow a pair. Thanks for sharing Shawn.

Checkout the storm in the bering sea, they are calling it a "superstorm" which is going to rival the strongest storm on record there which occurred back in 1974. The storm could get as low as 940mb

CNN has a little write up about it too... Should make for an interesting season of Deadliest Catch :popcorn:

Alaska faces one of its worst storms ever

The storm looks to thread the Bering Straight between western AK and Russia, appears to only skirt the western coast, but in the 940's, wow, folks up there better grab hold!

PYBE00.gif

Edit: just saw that video, dude needs help!

Okay, which one of you is this?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=5ahxnrdp0LU

You know what's sad about all of that.... THAT'S the cable station from my hometown! It was during Hurricane Charley.... :( Believe it or not, he STILL works there!!!!! My friends have seen him around town in bars but haven't asked for his autograph yet... haha!

these guys are stumping me but there are hundreds if not thousands of them at my office in Smyrna,,, Anyone have an idea what these are? They fly and like things that are dark in color apparently. The have a greenish tint to them also. Sorry my pictures suck but the camera phone and how close I had to get causes the picture to blur.

these guys are stumping me but there are hundreds if not thousands of them at my office in Smyrna,,, Anyone have an idea what these are? They fly and like things that are dark in color apparently. The have a greenish tint to them also. Sorry my pictures suck but the camera phone and how close I had to get causes the picture to blur.

They may be whiteflies?

You know what's sad about all of that.... THAT'S the cable station from my hometown! It was during Hurricane Charley.... :( Believe it or not, he STILL works there!!!!! My friends have seen him around town in bars but haven't asked for his autograph yet... haha!

Exactly What kind of bars does your friends hang around may i ask?????....:drunk::hug:

lol....Sorry,had to ask....

Exactly What kind of bars does your friends hang around may i ask?????....:drunk::hug:

lol....Sorry,had to ask....

HAHAHA! Ironically enough.... The COC and Bull..... haha! No, it's not one of those bars :P haha! At least I don't think so.... :unsure:

I've never been there but evidently it's one of the more popular hang out spots in Sarasota. I haven't been because I haven't been home much within the past 5 years (4 yrs for college and a year here).

HAHAHA! Ironically enough.... The COC and Bull..... haha! No, it's not one of those bars :P haha! At least I don't think so.... :unsure:

I've never been there but evidently it's one of the more popular hang out spots in Sarasota. I haven't been because I haven't been home much within the past 5 years (4 yrs for college and a year here).

My wife and I are headed down to Sarasota (actually Osprey) for Christmas to visit my parents. We'll have to try it out!

Archived