Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
November General Banter

Gastonwxman

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else seen as many acorns as I have had this year from all the oak species? It's been absolutely nuts how many acorns have been produced from my water oaks. There are so many, it's like walking on marbles and if you aren't careful you will fall (which I have a few times). Reading Georgia outdoor news, they had an article on it and according to them it varies from place to place. But I can tell you without hesitation that I've never seen so many. I have a metal roof and it almost drove me crazy hearing them constantly falling 24 hours a day every few minutes. But FINALLY it seems it is letting up. I wonder what this means for winter too since there are theories that the number of acorns, among other things, is a sign of what's to come. Just can't remember if its' good or bad lol

I've had more acorns in my yard this year than the past 8 combined. Hopefully it's a good thing :lol:

Yeah, I've got 'em coming down like automatic weapons fire on the tin roofs. Most of the big football ones I've seen in 10 years. I also have found a new variety, I've not seen before. I've got the football ones, the little round ones, and now an in between round one. Not as big as the footballs, but much bigger than the little round ones. The squirrels are fat and super furry. It, of course, means a much colder, or possibly much warmer, or, indeed, it could be a much more normal, winter than some in the past, lol. T

I need a hard hat when I'm out in the yard walking the pup because some of them are so large :lol:

I wish I had enough pecans to do something with. I didn't even know we had pecan trees until my dad pointed it out this summer!! I can't believe I didn't know.I guess they finally matured to make pecans.I believe 3 times the charm so this will be an AWESOME winter :thumbsup:

A friend of mine dropped off 2 huge bags of pecans the other day. :D She has lived there for 15 years, and her trees have never produced like they have this year. I agree....everything comes in three's :wub:

I'm not sure what kind of Oaks I've got...but they all three look slightly different regarding leaves and the crown of the tree. Any help identifying?

post-38-0-25615700-1320266503.jpg

oak west side

post-38-0-60209800-1320266515.jpg

oak north side

post-38-0-45501700-1320266527.jpg

oak east side

post-38-0-00355200-1320266543.jpg

The one on the east/southeast side of the house is my favorite oak tree with its good full crown. Its growing rapidly. The March 2009 snowstorm almost got it..it did break quite a few limbs laterally on all the oaks, which I had to cut off.

post-38-0-98262900-1320266904.jpg

post-38-0-04469600-1320267233.jpg

I'm not sure what kind of Oaks I've got...but they all three look slightly different regarding leaves and the crown of the tree. Any help identifying?

Always glad to help.

oak west side

post-38-0-60209800-1320266515.jpgwest[/b].jpg]

This is a Western Oak. If you sit under it for more than 30 minutes you will be overcome with the urge to yell YEEEEE HAWWWW!

oak north side

post-38-0-45501700-1320266527.jpgnorth[/b].jpg]

This is a Northern Oak. It requires cold snowy winters or it will b**ch itself to death.

oak east side

post-38-0-00355200-1320266543.jpgeast[/b].jpg]

This is an Eastern Oak sometimes called the Tree of Marcus. Its pretty much extinct these days due to post rot disease.

Had yet another couple of animals go through my yard. This time it was two brown owls (huge ones at that) flying around and making the most unusual hooting noises I've ever heard. I'm not sure if these were mating calls or what but it was interesting and awesome to hear. Very rarely do I ever have something like owls fly around here. Usually it's bats or a possum walking along. Anyway, here's a video of them hooting:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69375608@N06/

Had yet another couple of animals go through my yard. This time it was two brown owls (huge ones at that) flying around and making the most unusual hooting noises I've ever heard. I'm not sure if these were mating calls or what but it was interesting and awesome to hear. Very rarely do I ever have something like owls fly around here. Usually it's bats or a possum walking along. Anyway, here's a video of them hooting:

Pretty neat owl sounds. I heard some here (not that type of owl) a couple of weeks ago. I almost ran over one in the road in May one night after a thunderstorm. I'll see if I have the sound of that particular owl, I know I saved a few different calls.

It sounds like the barred owl. http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Barred_Owl I didn't realize how big those are are until I came face to face with one in the road one night. Its' eyes were about the eyes of the grill of my truck when it was just standing in the road. Definitely startled me. But its a beautiful creature.

Really? That's pretty amazing, and you're right. They are beautiful creatures. I love the style of their feathers and their face. The pictures from the site you linked looked about similar to what I saw but man they are huge. Wish I got a picture of either one but the first one flew off the branch before I could get it and the second one was too far away. :(

That's the sound I hear around our home early morning before daybreak. I went online and found the barred owl. I haven't seen one, but the first few times we heard them, it was spooky since we didn't know what we were hearing. Supposedly, remembering from my research, their call mimics the phrase, "Who cooks, who cooks for you?"

This place is getting toxic as hell...and I'm not talking about valkhorn. Tolerance seems to be handed out in manner that is less than equitable. It's a shame. I think singling him out was wrong. I'm calling BS.

I'm with you. So, he messed up once or twice. It happens. We all make statements that we wish we could take back from time to time. Let's give it a rest on making fun at his expense. Give him another shot and stop harping on him. Just my two cents. He had a few times that he was called out justly, but there's no need to keep drilling him into the ground. Let's get back to weather in the OBS forums.

For anyone interested, I have my Davis Vantage Pro 2 up and running and it's tied to weatherlink.com. If you have an i-phone (i don't know if it's available on the android platform) you can download a free app, weatherlink mobile and you can add and view individual stations that have been set up and registered from all over the southeast (or country really). I noticed there are a LOT of stations up and down the NC mountains that you can tap into to view their local weather conditions. There are only a handful of stations here in northeast Tennessee. All in all a pretty neat app for the weather enthusiast. You can find my station by searching Erickson North Johnson City after downloading the app.

If this is in the wrong place mods, sorry and feel free to move it.

I'm with you. So, he messed up once or twice. It happens. We all make statements that we wish we could take back from time to time. Let's give it a rest on making fun at his expense. Give him another shot and stop harping on him. Just my two cents. He had a few times that he was called out justly, but there's no need to keep drilling him into the ground. Let's get back to weather in the OBS forums.

Once or twice? Have you read his posts? http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&andor_type=&sid=d28bf41b248c8321ed83b33ad7284c60&cType=forum&cId=13&search_term=valkhorn&search_app=forums&st=0

The owls calls are definitely barred owls. Yes, when they get going off like that in a gaggle it sure is interesting to hear. We usually hear one or 2 calling off to other distant ones, but have heard that same chorus of 10-12 at the same time. Funny thing is - as often as we hear them, I've yet to see one. bucket list, I guess ;) Nice sound capture!

Sorry you feel that way. Sometimes it's just better to ignore posters who don't follow the rules or if you don't like their posts - don't read them. I try not to clutter the board w/ "back and forth" in the main threads. That's why I posted in the banter thread. Honestly, the responses to valkhorn were also difficult to sift through and made it difficult to read the thread. Read more, post less.

For anyone interested, I have my Davis Vantage Pro 2 up and running and it's tied to weatherlink.com. If you have an i-phone (i don't know if it's available on the android platform) you can download a free app, weatherlink mobile and you can add and view individual stations that have been set up and registered from all over the southeast (or country really). I noticed there are a LOT of stations up and down the NC mountains that you can tap into to view their local weather conditions. There are only a handful of stations here in northeast Tennessee. All in all a pretty neat app for the weather enthusiast. You can find my station by searching Erickson North Johnson City after downloading the app.

If this is in the wrong place mods, sorry and feel free to move it.

interesting... One of the places weatherlink send data is to wunderground which disseminates the data into a few apps and website formats.

Hey Burger... can I get a few of the sprouted chestnuts? I would love to plant some...

Sure, me and a Arborist friend on facebook are in the midst of trying to figure out if it is an actual American Chestnut since they're very rare. Right now I'm thinking it might be a Chinese/American hybrid chestnut. I'll be out of town the next few days but I can mail you some them if you like.

Sorry you feel that way. Sometimes it's just better to ignore posters who don't follow the rules or if you don't like their posts - don't read them. I try not to clutter the board w/ "back and forth" in the main threads. That's why I posted in the banter thread. Honestly, the responses to valkhorn were also difficult to sift through and made it difficult to read the thread. Read more, post less.

It's trail by fire. I had to go through it so he should as well. I agree that they should be moved or deleted...but sometimes it's fun just to get into a little flamewar for me anyways since I have a bit of a troll side.

Sure, me and a Arborist friend on facebook are in the midst of trying to figure out if it is an actual American Chestnut since they're very rare. Right now I'm thinking it might be a Chinese/American hybrid chestnut. I'll be out of town the next few days but I can mail you some them if you like.

Cool.. i can paypal over some $$ for shipping.

Things I have learned from Valkhorn's posts.....

Wants everyone to get shafted if he only gets a couple of inches of snow

Argues with professionals about everything because he knows more

Storms only happen from GA to NC

Likes to derail threads because he is always right

Mets from GA aren't experts in snow

What he thinks is always correct

All he has done since he started posting is confront everyone with his egotistical nonsense.

Things I have learned from Valkhorn's posts.....

Wants everyone to get shafted if he only gets a couple of inches of snow

Argues with professionals about everything because he knows more

Storms only happen from GA to NC

Likes to derail threads because he is always right

Mets from GA aren't experts in snow

What he thinks is always correct

All he has done since he started posting is confront everyone with his egotistical nonsense.

The other problem is with disinformation...which admittedly we are all guilty of however many of us do not write it in a sense like we are an expert. I think that has more to do with anything. When you write in a certain style and pump yourself up to be an expert people believe you. Hell I am as far from an expert as possible and sometimes my posts just doing play by play last year mislead a lot of people. It's all good to want to discuss and ask questions but if you're going to pretend to be an expert and put forth theories expect to be called on it....and ridiculed.

Archived