• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
November General Banter

Gastonwxman

Sure, me and a Arborist friend on facebook are in the midst of trying to figure out if it is an actual American Chestnut since they're very rare. Right now I'm thinking it might be a Chinese/American hybrid chestnut. I'll be out of town the next few days but I can mail you some them if you like.

I think a few chesnuts survived the blight by immunity. There are some on top of Brasstown Bald that have bags on them every year to keep the chesnuts. They are a pain in the butt if stepped on or picked up fast. The barbs break off deep and you can hardly see them when the skin swells.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Burger... can I get a few of the sprouted chestnuts? I would love to plant some...

Don't have any sprouted, but if there are still some that look viable I can send some too, if you want. Mine fell weeks ago, and it doesn't take long for rot, or critters to get them, but there might be some left. Tony

Sounds like a big increase in coyotes around my area lately,I hear more howling at night and seems to be getting closer.

Both deer and coyote on the increase,did'nt see either 20 or 30 years ago though.

I've heard and had people letting me know they've spotted these coyotes around here a lot more lately. The deer are definitely in full swing here also.

Things I have learned from Valkhorn's posts.....

Wants everyone to get shafted if he only gets a couple of inches of snow

Argues with professionals about everything because he knows more

Storms only happen from GA to NC

Likes to derail threads because he is always right

Mets from GA aren't experts in snow

What he thinks is always correct

All he has done since he started posting is confront everyone with his egotistical nonsense.

We ALL take ourselves a little to seriously sometimes. Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...This week the board looked far more like a Facebook page than a weather board. Trust me when I say this, in the grand scheme of things it's just not worth it.

We ALL take ourselves a little to seriously sometimes. Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...This week the board looked far more like a Facebook page than a weather board. Trust me when I say this, in the grand scheme of things it's just not worth it.

Doesn't this board always look more like a facebook page at some point during winter? I think that's part of the fun watching the train wreck unfold during a major winter bust.whistle.gif

Doesn't this board always look more like a facebook page at some point during winter? I think that's part of the fun watching the train wreck unfold during a major winter bust.whistle.gif

Most especially during a major bust on snow...What is interesting is watching people "trying" to get excited for those who cashed in even though they didn't. Anyway, I think I'll sit back for a few hours, days, weeks until late November begins to roar. Wonder if the pattern is set to repeat itself w/a big flip at the end of the month like last year?

I've heard and had people letting me know they've spotted these coyotes around here a lot more lately. The deer are definitely in full swing here also.

The rut is picking up and should last through Dec-Jan so expect to see lots more deer roadkill the next few weeks......coyotes where almost gone from NC and SC but over the last decade there has been a huge surge in their numbers. I had never seen one around here until a few years ago and I spend a lot of time outdoors...now I see them oftan and everywhere.

I see you adopted my mummy analogy. Turn about's fair play, I guess. :thumbsup:

It tickles me everytime I see it, lol. Guess you and I have a similar taste in humor :) And I do like mummies...in my next life I intend to be an archaeologist! Or in this life. if I get to be a rich millionaire before I'm dead :) Tony

I just read this. Didn't know if this was posted or if anyone knew this gentleman...

http://www.srh.noaa....?n=robert_allen

Cool story. Sounds like a great guy. Sad to hear he has passed :(

FFC getting Dual Pole radar at the end of the month

http://www.srh.noaa....ol_announcement

I posted this in the main November thread and I guess no one saw it haha. I'm excited! :thumbsup:

The rut is picking up and should last through Dec-Jan so expect to see lots more deer roadkill the next few weeks......coyotes where almost gone from NC and SC but over the last decade there has been a huge surge in their numbers. I had never seen one around here until a few years ago and I spend a lot of time outdoors...now I see them oftan and everywhere.

Same here. I see a certain buck on the side of my yard every few days, always a few minutes after the other deer that crosses in herds through the pines. Last year I saw an enormous buck under one of my oaks, not more than 100 feet from the house. I went to get the cam because he was so huge and had a lot of points, but he left when I came back with the cam. He was so tall and big it actually scared me a little. The first time I'd seen a buck here. And the deerkill is everywhere lately on the highways and offroads. No coyotes though. But occasionally I see a fox.

Same here. I see a certain buck on the side of my yard every few days, always a few minutes after the other deer that crosses in herds through the pines. Last year I saw an enormous buck under one of my oaks, not more than 100 feet from the house. I went to get the cam because he was so huge and had a lot of points, but he left when I came back with the cam. He was so tall and big it actually scared me a little. The first time I'd seen a buck here. And the deerkill is everywhere lately on the highways and offroads. No coyotes though. But occasionally I see a fox.

i need to come down there and get that big buck off your handsthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

When I first moved here I would hear this hideous screaching in the woods. One night I hear a woman being strangled in the woods across the street, and it was so real I grabbed my pellet gun and headed out to save her, lol.

Some times the she devil would move back and forth a few hundred feet in seconds. I was pretty sure after a while it was the Blair Witch. I couldn't sleep at night for the chills that would come with those yowls. I figured Bigfoot had mated with a wolverine, or something much worse.

Finally, after some research, I was able to come up with a British site that had 14, or so, fox calls recorded. And sure enough, there was the strangling lady, the Blair Witch, and hybred Bigfoot. All fox calls, and some are scary as hell when you don't know what it is, lol.

The other night I was watering the leaves at the edge of the woods, on the way to the house, and I was scanning the woods with my pocket flashlight to look for eyes, and suddenly a huge shape flew by maybe 10 feet up, and before I could think to myself Owl, my crazy, big, male kitty was jumping for it, lol. Glad he missed as that was a huge owl. I'd been hearing him calling for a few nights. T

We have a barred owl in the woods behind my house that hoots a good bit. The scariest sound Ive heard in the woods was a screech owl that buzzed our camp deep in the smokies. It freaked me out. I spooked a grouse in the same trip and that is an experience that everyone should have to go through.

When I first moved here I would hear this hideous screaching in the woods. One night I hear a woman being strangled in the woods across the street, and it was so real I grabbed my pellet gun and headed out to save her, lol.

Some times the she devil would move back and forth a few hundred feet in seconds. I was pretty sure after a while it was the Blair Witch. I couldn't sleep at night for the chills that would come with those yowls. I figured Bigfoot had mated with a wolverine, or something much worse.

Finally, after some research, I was able to come up with a British site that had 14, or so, fox calls recorded. And sure enough, there was the strangling lady, the Blair Witch, and hybred Bigfoot. All fox calls, and some are scary as hell when you don't know what it is, lol.

The other night I was watering the leaves at the edge of the woods, on the way to the house, and I was scanning the woods with my pocket flashlight to look for eyes, and suddenly a huge shape flew by maybe 10 feet up, and before I could think to myself Owl, my crazy, big, male kitty was jumping for it, lol. Glad he missed as that was a huge owl. I'd been hearing him calling for a few nights. T

thats a wild story. When i was a kid we moved to a new neighborhood with a creek. The first Summer there I and my brothers had the basement, and they had me scared of a certain monster at the creek. They told of the shrieks and calls of the knobby monster, but I didn't hear it til later on that Summer. I ended up sleeping with my momma after hearing that terrible noise one night. It sounded like a high pitched coyote or some unreal noise that made chills go down my back. To this day, nobody has ever seen what made that sound down by the creek, but back then we didn't run A/C and I remember sleeping on the pallet beside my moms or sister's bed many a night with the sheer curtains flailing in the moonlight. We ran the attic fan, which generated a scary sound on its own, but to see those curtains PLUS hear that strange creature's sound right outside the window...well its worst than blair witch. I think around that time (late 70's) the Big Foot sightings become common in the upper part of the county. I can't believe I remember the details but you've dredged them up LOL.

thats a wild story. When i was a kid we moved to a new neighborhood with a creek. The first Summer there I and my brothers had the basement, and they had me scared of a certain monster at the creek. They told of the shrieks and calls of the knobby monster, but I didn't hear it til later on that Summer. I ended up sleeping with my momma after hearing that terrible noise one night. It sounded like a high pitched coyote or some unreal noise that made chills go down my back. To this day, nobody has ever seen what made that sound down by the creek, but back then we didn't run A/C and I remember sleeping on the pallet beside my moms or sister's bed many a night with the sheer curtains flailing in the moonlight. We ran the attic fan, which generated a scary sound on its own, but to see those curtains PLUS hear that strange creature's sound right outside the window...well its worst than blair witch. I think around that time (late 70's) the Big Foot sightings become common in the upper part of the county. I can't believe I remember the details but you've dredged them up LOL.

Glad I could help, lol. It might have been fox. I'll see if I can find that link for you. I've found 3 dens on our property, and they always come back. Some times the mother will roam, but the kits are likely to re inhabit the dens every year with their families. They live right near the house, and near the road. Raid garbage on occasion. The one up by the drive had burger king wrappers, mc donalds fry containers, etc. all around. It was 10 feet from the road, and folks around here are pigs. Lots of litter.

Some times they'll be just over the fence yowling and I can spot them in the beam of a good flash light. They just stand there calling, occasionally looking at me :) Can't believe, if you've seen fox around, that you haven't heard the Blair Witch back, and coming for you, lol. T

We had some bobcats back in the 90s that made some awful sounds. It's hard to describe but I haven't heard one in years.

Robert, here are some calls. Not the site I'm looking for, and the squalls are pretty far away, and not so loud, or long, but the jist is there. Imagine them under your window, drawn out, and very loud :) I mostly hear territorial spats, mating calls, and mom calling her kits, or vise versa.

They mark their territory by leaving piles of scat in exposed places. On top of logs is a favored place around here. If you see a pile of pellets on a downed tree, that's invaribly fox. T

http://www.foxforest.com/upclose/voicescarry.shtml

With all that earlier talk of the abundance of pecans....anyone know where I can score some free or modestly priced ones?? Need to start making holiday desserts, and getting the generally most expensive item for free/cheap would be incredible! Wish I could attempt to grow my own trees, but still need to buy my own house first!

Think the coyotes followed the deer here I saw them way before the yotes.

I think the next huge problem moving in over the years are going to be these wild hogs.Those things multiply FAST and eat anything.They're also very aggressive and will kill if given the chance.

Think the coyotes followed the deer here I saw them way before the yotes.

I think the next huge problem moving in over the years are going to be these wild hogs.Those things multiply FAST and eat anything.They're also very aggressive and will kill if given the chance.

Back when I was in college, we were driving on the Foothills Parkway one night and came around a curve and a wild boar was standing in the middle of the road. He was every bit of three feet tall if not taller and was massive. He didn't seem to afraid of the car. I actually starting backing up a little thinking he was going to come after it!! After flashing my light and blowing the horn (a lot) he finally took off straight up a hill on the side of the road. Freaked me out!

Back when I was in college, we were driving on the Foothills Parkway one night and came around a curve and a wild boar was standing in the middle of the road. He was every bit of three feet tall if not taller and was massive. He didn't seem to afraid of the car. I actually starting backing up a little thinking he was going to come after it!! After flashing my light and blowing the horn (a lot) he finally took off straight up a hill on the side of the road. Freaked me out!

I have a Russian Boar on my wall. I have killed several. Feral Hogs is what's around here. They are mean and dangerous, they do not see well but have a great sense of smell. They will out run a deer first 100 feet! Faster than you think when they are mad, but taste like pigthumbsupsmileyanim.gif Planning on another trip this winter to get one

With all that earlier talk of the abundance of pecans....anyone know where I can score some free or modestly priced ones?? Need to start making holiday desserts, and getting the generally most expensive item for free/cheap would be incredible! Wish I could attempt to grow my own trees, but still need to buy my own house first!

Try here http://www.stonemountainpecan.com/

People here in our area buy from them locally, great stuff.

Archived