• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
November General Banter

Gastonwxman

After witnessing widespread frosts and freezes, early snowfall across northern TX and the big snowstorm up in the northeastern states, as well as experiencing some rather pretty chilly temperatures throughout October, one has to wonder what November holds. Will we see an early snow in the Southeast during the latter part of this month? Who knows. Lots of things to look forward. Anyone doing anything special for Halloween?

By the way, I managed to find this critter traveling along my dad's car. It's a rather unusual looking wooly worm (at least I believe it is).

67r69j.jpg

sbo6bs.jpg

And this one here payed me another one of his visits. This possum has crossed this yard several times but never will it attempt to attack me if I happen to be out at the same time him.

elbqrk.jpg

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes the overall pattern is very promising. Just need to get more cold air involved which since its closing in on Thanksgiving/Winter there will be.

I cant believe that is a worm. Looks like a big deadly mass of mold/fungus of some sort, thats insane. Hard to say about folklores but if they are true then we're in for a winter. Its always said the third time is the charm... well this would be the third consect... winter in a row.

Call it a gut feeling... I honestly think there may be the possibility of atleast couple minor events here in the NC piedmont before Dec 1st. But Im more comfortable about saying the first snow will be close to Thanksgiving. Between the 17-1st of Dec we will have a snow event. Its about due really, its been a few years since snow has fallen around Thanksgiving Time.

Feeling a little better this morning about our chances for (not getting much) rain this afternoon. Chances have been dropped to 50% by NWS. Still looks like the folks from I-95 east will get a big storm (maybe 1"). Ironic, this is one of the few times I hope the storm moves away. I have four kids ready to go trick-or-treating.

I went over to Carrollton yesterday to play some croquet, and the colors on the way were incredible. I've gone over at peak the last 5 years or so, and this was the best by an order of 5 or 6. There were stretches of hwy where both sides were lined with blazing trees for half a mile, or more. There were times I though I was in Oz :)

The court is by a lake with a huge view of the sky, and there were the most amazing mare's tails all over it for most of the day. And once a jet contrail the turned into a perfect corkscrew for a few minutes. Then about 4 there appeared a super nice sun dog. Extremely bright for about 15 minutes, then as it faded a bit it became a perfect circle. I've not seen one go into a perfect circular sun replica before. Sorry, I didn't take my camera! All in all a great day for sky gazing, and color feasting. Being colorblind I only really get to fully enjoy color a few days a year. Yesterday was a treat. T

If you want dry weather for the trick-or-treaters go anywhere in the good old USA except for Raleigh NC (and the surounding areas). Raining now and looking at the radar looks like the best precip rates will be between 6-9pm. But kids still going out maybe they'll get a little extra for braving the elements. Happy Halloween everybody!!!

I don't know if other local stations and mets have done this, too, but WRAL has been terrible this year about underestimating the rain we get in the Raleigh/Durham area. Their forecast yesterday morning called for "some pacthy rain and showers, especially for areas east and southeast of the Triangle." We had a monsoon from 4:00 to 9:00. They just seem to be off a lot the whole year like this.

We better get a lot of snow this winter to make up for the rainy Halloween. It ruined trick-or-treating here.

Anyone else seen as many acorns as I have had this year from all the oak species? It's been absolutely nuts how many acorns have been produced from my water oaks. There are so many, it's like walking on marbles and if you aren't careful you will fall (which I have a few times). Reading Georgia outdoor news, they had an article on it and according to them it varies from place to place. But I can tell you without hesitation that I've never seen so many. I have a metal roof and it almost drove me crazy hearing them constantly falling 24 hours a day every few minutes. But FINALLY it seems it is letting up. I wonder what this means for winter too since there are theories that the number of acorns, among other things, is a sign of what's to come. Just can't remember if its' good or bad lol

Anyone else seen as many acorns as I have had this year from all the oak species? It's been absolutely nuts how many acorns have been produced from my water oaks. There are so many, it's like walking on marbles and if you aren't careful you will fall (which I have a few times). Reading Georgia outdoor news, they had an article on it and according to them it varies from place to place. But I can tell you without hesitation that I've never seen so many. I have a metal roof and it almost drove me crazy hearing them constantly falling 24 hours a day every few minutes. But FINALLY it seems it is letting up. I wonder what this means for winter too since there are theories that the number of acorns, among other things, is a sign of what's to come. Just can't remember if its' good or bad lol

yes, there have been a lot more than normal this year here in NC

Yeah, I've got 'em coming down like automatic weapons fire on the tin roofs. Most of the big football ones I've seen in 10 years. I also have found a new variety, I've not seen before. I've got the football ones, the little round ones, and now an in between round one. Not as big as the footballs, but much bigger than the little round ones. The squirrels are fat and super furry. It, of course, means a much colder, or possibly much warmer, or, indeed, it could be a much more normal, winter than some in the past, lol. T

I have heard about the acorns being ridiculous this year from alot of people. One thing I have noticed is that I have 2 pecan trees and this is the first year in the 6 years I have lived in my house that the trees actually produced. The pecans never have a chance with the squirrels so I know they are eating well. Also, I was talking to my neighbor a few weeks ago and we got on the subject of winter coming up and since he is a hunter he was telling me the deer already had their winter coats and this was the earliest he has seen that. So maybe the critters already know what we don't.

I have had my fair share of acorn madness over here. The neighbors who live beside me have a very large oak tree that had so many acorns falling at one point you would have believed it was raining outside until you walked out the door. The squirrels around here constantly jump from one branch, swiping them all while making even more fall out of the tree. It's crazy and the whole road is covered with smashed or broken acorns. I've never seen so many fall before. There has also been a few pecans dropping out earlier than usual as well, though I'm not sure if it's normal for them to fall at this time. Still, it's quite a sight when you're outside watching them drop like crazy.

How much is the StormVista license for viewing the Euro? I don't see the price on their website.

I had AccuWeather Pro last winter - it's $25/month - maps come out later, but otherwise it was fine.

If you can deal with not getting the EURO in real time, their maps are free on wunderground including precip maps.

I have heard about the acorns being ridiculous this year from alot of people. One thing I have noticed is that I have 2 pecan trees and this is the first year in the 6 years I have lived in my house that the trees actually produced. The pecans never have a chance with the squirrels so I know they are eating well. Also, I was talking to my neighbor a few weeks ago and we got on the subject of winter coming up and since he is a hunter he was telling me the deer already had their winter coats and this was the earliest he has seen that. So maybe the critters already know what we don't.

when i saw lookouts acorn post i was about to make one then saw yours (glad i waited since its about pecans lol). my friend has a huge pecan tree in his yard. he came over for the game saturday and brought me a HUGE bag full of pecans. first time he has ever done this - until this year there were never enough to make it worth gathering a few (i have known him 7 years). this year he is giving out bag fulls to a lot of people. as lookout mentioned, walking in the yard is like walking on marbles!

tons of acorns and chestnuts too (and yes they hurt like heck if you step on the barefooted, or even in socks since they go right through). the squirrels are loving it though

sadly no matter how hyped i get for this winter, no matter how many 'hopeful' signs i see, i still have that awful, nagging feeling that there is just no way no how that the se will have three back to back awesome winters in a row. :lmao: we're screwed haha

I have an American Chestnut in the backyard which is a pain literally because if you step on one barefoot you're in trouble. When those things drop you really hear it.

Yep, forgot about the Chestnuts as they had dropped a while back. But I did have a bumper crop too. Enough to roast on many, many fires :) Had a Golden that would pick those husks up and carry them about like a ball. She had a very soft touch, I guess. I know I can't pick one up :) T

when i saw lookouts acorn post i was about to make one then saw yours (glad i waited since its about pecans lol). my friend has a huge pecan tree in his yard. he came over for the game saturday and brought me a HUGE bag full of pecans. first time he has ever done this - until this year there were never enough to make it worth gathering a few (i have known him 7 years). this year he is giving out bag fulls to a lot of people. as lookout mentioned, walking in the yard is like walking on marbles!

tons of acorns and chestnuts too (and yes they hurt like heck if you step on the barefooted, or even in socks since they go right through). the squirrels are loving it though

sadly no matter how hyped i get for this winter, no matter how many 'hopeful' signs i see, i still have that awful, nagging feeling that there is just no way no how that the se will have three back to back awesome winters in a row. :lmao: we're screwed haha

I wish I had enough pecans to do something with. I didn't even know we had pecan trees until my dad pointed it out this summer!! I can't believe I didn't know.I guess they finally matured to make pecans.I believe 3 times the charm so this will be an AWESOME winter :thumbsup:

Top Five Southern Winter Folklore Sayings

1. If you count the morning fogs in August you will know how many August mornings were foggy.

2. A heavy crop of acorns will lead to fatter then average squirrels the next spring.

3. If it thunders in winter, 10 days later it will have happened 10 days ago.

4. If you study the bands of the wooly worm you will know how many are brown and how many are black.

5. Snow that lays on the ground for more than three days is dirty.

Top Five Southern Winter Folklore Sayings

1. If you count the morning fogs in August you will know how many August mornings were foggy.

2. A heavy crop of acorns will lead to fatter then average squirrels the next spring.

3. If it thunders in winter, 10 days later it will have happened 10 days ago.

4. If you study the bands of the wooly worm you will know how many are brown and how many are black.

5. Snow that lays on the ground for more than three days is dirty.

:lmao: In the words a wise man once said "colder than last time and later than today."

(Sorry I couldn't help myself,that was the qoute of the day!!)

For those who use GR products, there have been upgrades issued in recent weeks, especially for GRLevel3. I only realized this when my GR3 radar was coming in really pixelated (is that even a word) yesterday during our rare rain. I wish they (GR) would email their subscribers when the upgrades are issued. Come to find out there's been about 3 upgrades to the product between my last one and when I visited the GR owner's forum yesterday.

For those who use GR products, there have been upgrades issued in recent weeks, especially for GRLevel3. I only realized this when my GR3 radar was coming in really pixelated (is that even a word) yesterday during our rare rain. I wish they (GR) would email their subscribers when the upgrades are issued. Come to find out there's been about 3 upgrades to the product between my last one and when I visited the GR owner's forum yesterday.

Interesting...where do you download the updates? I need this also.

Done. Thanks.

The squirrels are the key. They know.

Archived