• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
November General Banter

Gastonwxman

That's a bit dramatic. My point was simply that I think the discussion is fine to have, so I don't mind the thread. You and I might not use the 384 GFS or the GFS at all to start the thread, but regardless, it's a weather board, there's not much going on, and we're not in storm mode, so the thread is ok.

I just don't see a lot of value in beating a non met up for starting a relevant discussion in a boring weather period, even if the thing they chose to use as the catalyst for the conversation is a fantasy-land GFS prog.

Besides, CAD is not a problem poster and contributes in a positive way to this great SE community.

It's only my opinion and it is hardly dramatic. If it is a valid point, it is not "beating up" someone. I have no problem with CAD...he has been around a while and I am not hear to bash him or any one else (except mayber Hoosier and Valkhorn). I did actually put my sarcastic post in the banter thread. Is it inappropriate for a met to say..."This is not a sign of a pattern change"? Would "Good Post" work better for everyone?

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's only my opinion and it is hardly dramatic. If it is a valid point, it is not "beating up" someone. I have no problem with CAD...he has been around a while and I am not hear to bash him or any one else (except mayber Hoosier and Valkhorn). I did actually put my sarcastic post in the banter thread. Is it inappropriate for a met to say..."This is not a sign of a pattern change"? Would "Good Post" work better for everyone?

You opinion isn't dramatic. And it IS valid. Saying that the 384 hour GFS has as much to do with the pattern as does the brightness of Jupiter is a bit dramatic. Come on now. :). It's all good though.

Besides, we don't all have access to the Euro weeklies. For some of us, all we have is the 384 GFS to pin our hopes on. :P

Just point me to the correct forum when the time comes and I'll be good. All I ask is that you please make sure the title is clear about what it's about, my feeble mind can't handle too many topics at once! arrowheadsmiley.png

And Mr Bob, I like your straight to the point comments! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Jupiter has been pretty bright, I was able to see some moons through binoculars the other night.

You opinion isn't dramatic. And it IS valid. Saying that the 384 hour GFS has as much to do with the pattern as does the brightness of Jupiter is a bit dramatic. Come on now. :). It's all good though.

Besides, we don't all have access to the Euro weeklies. For some of us, all we have is the 384 GFS to pin our hopes on. :P

The problem isn't so much that it's 384 on the GFS, it's that it's 384 on the 18z GFS in mid November with no other model suggesting a pattern change. Just my two cents anyways.

It should be noted I'm just as much a weenie as anyone else I just don't see the point of a new thread about it is all.

The problem isn't so much that it's 384 on the GFS, it's that it's 384 on the 18z GFS in mid November with no other model suggesting a pattern change. Just my two cents anyways.

It should be noted I'm just as much a weenie as anyone else I just don't see the point of a new thread about it is all.

I hear you! I like that we're discussing it, though. I think it's a good idea to be thoughtful before starting a new topic and when commenting about someone else's thoughts. I don't mean to imply that people aren't doing that. Just that it's good to think about that kind of thing from time to time. This is the best forum and best group on the board, imo.

I apologize to Mr. Bob if I disrespected in any way.

I apologize to Mr. Bob if I disrespected in any way.

There are only a couple of mets I would ever bow to on this board...

I expect to get the same treatment as any other poster so there is no need to apologize...feel free to challenge me as you see fit...the written word conveys little to no context...I am only really cranky in rush hour traffic. :gun_bandana:

There are only a couple of mets I would ever bow to on this board...

I expect to get the same treatment as any other poster so there is no need to apologize...feel free to challenge me as you see fit...the written word conveys little to no context...I am only really cranky in rush hour traffic. :gun_bandana:

Now Mr. Bob... there can't be very much rush hour traffic in Ooltewah Tennessee!! tongue.gifsmile.gif

I know exactly where it is. Back in my college days at UT Knoxville, we use to go up the road from to a place called Tellico Plains and go camping back up off the old logging roads there. You were so far away from any city lights, you could see more stars than anywhere I went to in the mountains. Good college roommate was from Cleveland.

OK, first I want to thank everyone who took a moment and voiced a preference for how they prefer the thread formats during active periods, I read them all twice for good measure... :weight_lift:

The general consensus appears to be a separate thread for macro-analysis (i.e. analyzing the system as a whole, models, forecasts, disco, etc) and a thread for obs/real-time imby reports. During high-traffic we will try to make it a point to pin both so that users coming in can easilly navigate to the correct thread, hopefully that will cut down on people posting obs in the disco thread, etc. I ask that whoever starts storm specific threads please be somewhat explicit in the description, same goes with obs... That may help to cut down on people posting about the same things in two threads, which no one wants based on the responses I read.

Now Mr. Bob... there can't be very much rush hour traffic in Ooltewah Tennessee!! tongue.gifsmile.gif

I know exactly where it is. Back in my college days at UT Knoxville, we use to go up the road from to a place called Tellico Plains and go camping back up off the old logging roads there. You were so far away from any city lights, you could see more stars than anywhere I went to in the mountains. Good college roommate was from Cleveland.

I don't miss the 2 hour I-75 nightmares from Cumberland Galleria to Woodstock...I can promise you that....But after 10 years getting stuck in ridge cut traffic through the 24/75 split is now annoying...it used to be laughable when I first got up here.

My name is not Bob....long story...and I was there in 95 but I am not remembering you...I worked there for 12 years before coming up here in 2002...

I only worked there for about 6 months and worked back behind the OCM's drawing maps and resending severe warnings and drawing watch boxes and stuff like that. I'm sure all that is automated these days. There was a real funny guy named Wendell who worked "behind the glass" too and I remember this couple that were roller coaster enthusiasts and would take a month off each summer to chase tornadoes across the plains. I can't remember their names but I think his was Matt Crowther or something like that.

I only worked there for about 6 months and worked back behind the OCM's drawing maps and resending severe warnings and drawing watch boxes and stuff like that. I'm sure all that is automated these days. There was a real funny guy named Wendell who worked "behind the glass" too and I remember this couple that were roller coaster enthusiasts and would take a month off each summer to chase tornadoes across the plains. I can't remember their names but I think his was Matt Crowther or something like that.

LOL...I am suprised that I do not recall you though I guess it has been 17 effin years. Where has the time gone...I can't remember which side of the week I was working back in 95...Were you working overnights?

Those were the golden years...we weren't making a whole lot of money but we had a good time back behind the glass and it was still about the weather in those days. Matt is still working there but Wendell moved on...many of the mets working behind the scenes back then are still there churning out forecasts...

LOL...I am suprised that I do not recall you though I guess it has been 17 effin years. Where has the time gone...I can't remember which side of the week I was working back in 95...Were you working overnights?

Those were the golden years...we weren't making a whole lot of money but we had a good time back behind the glass and it was still about the weather in those days. Matt is still working there but Wendell moved on...many of the mets working behind the scenes back then are still there churning out forecasts...

I worked the shift that ended at 2am and if I remember correctly it was Thursday thru Sunday or Monday. I can't remember exactly but I think it was 4 days on and 3 days off.. Now my memory of the Bob I knew just came back a bit as Wendell and others used to pick on him to almost no end in good fun as he took it in stride. I left right before Kristina Abernathy (OCM) came on board. I went to school with Scott Lawrimore from the radio side. I haven't spoken to him in years so I have no idea what he's up to these days.

Haven't seen that before... just had a 'Special Marine Warning' (SMW) pop up in my GRLevel3 warning box. Default color is Teal, i guess? I like it.

327 PM CST TUE NOV 15 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LEAGUE CITY HAS ISSUED A

* SPECIAL MARINE WARNING FOR...

GALVESTON BAY...

* UNTIL 400 PM CST

* AT 326 PM CST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

THUNDERSTORM...PRODUCING STRONG WINDS 34 KNOTS OR GREATER OVER

BEACH CITY...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 30 KNOTS.

Haven't seen that before... just had a 'Special Marine Warning' (SMW) pop up in my GRLevel3 warning box. Default color is Teal, i guess? I like it.

327 PM CST TUE NOV 15 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LEAGUE CITY HAS ISSUED A

* SPECIAL MARINE WARNING FOR...

GALVESTON BAY...

* UNTIL 400 PM CST

* AT 326 PM CST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

THUNDERSTORM...PRODUCING STRONG WINDS 34 KNOTS OR GREATER OVER

BEACH CITY...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 30 KNOTS.

You see these all the time off the coast of Florida in summer... It's basically a severe thunderstorm warning over water.

On a side note: It felt GREAT running just now! Temps near 80 and a light drizzle.... ahhh perfect running weather! I'm not looking forward to the winter when I have to run in 50 degree weathercold.gif Which might happen when I do my first 5k (second EVER) coming up in the middle of December... Should be interesting! hahaha

I run 5.5 miles this past Saturday morning when it was 26. :) Love cold running!!

You see these all the time off the coast of Florida in summer... It's basically a severe thunderstorm warning over water.

On a side note: It felt GREAT running just now! Temps near 80 and a light drizzle.... ahhh perfect running weather! I'm not looking forward to the winter when I have to run in 50 degree weathercold.gif Which might happen when I do my first 5k (second EVER) coming up in the middle of December... Should be interesting! hahaha

Archived