• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
November General Banter

Gastonwxman

Just got a new winter coat. So I'm all set for the cold and hopefully snow later this winter! :snowman:

Starting to gather the Christmas decorations for the house. Can't believe its almost thanksgiving...

I've had to break out my trusty old Carhartt a few weeks back. My wife started decorating the house today. I talked her into not getting the tree out until tomorrow.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got a new winter coat. So I'm all set for the cold and hopefully snow later this winter! :snowman:

Starting to gather the Christmas decorations for the house. Can't believe its almost thanksgiving...

I've had to break out my trusty old Carhartt a few weeks back. My wife started decorating the house today. I talked her into not getting the tree out until tomorrow.

Which Farm? We don't usually go up until Dec 5-8. My wife doesn't like cleaning up after the dogs.arrowheadsmiley.png

Horney hollow fraser fir. We have been going to this particular farm for the past 5-6 years. A super nice husband and wife run the farm and their names are mr. and mrs. Horney. No joke. Lol.

http://www.horneyhollowfraserfir.com/

Horney hollow fraser fir. We have been going to this particular farm for the past 5-6 years. A super nice husband and wife run the farm and their names are mr. and mrs. Horney. No joke. Lol.

Has to be North Carolina.:snowman:

I was looking at the fake trees at Lowes recently. Some average ordinary looking pre-lit trees are $239. and they go up to 300 easily. I can't believe that. People actually pay that much for a pre-lit tree. I'll stick with a Charlie Brown type...got plenty in my woods. Only this year I'll have to fight the fire ants for them.

Nice name.thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I didn't know there were any by Beech Mtn. I just may have to make the trip and see some friends as well. Thanks for the link Moto!

I was looking at the fake trees at Lowes recently. Some average ordinary looking pre-lit trees are $239. and they go up to 300 easily. I can't believe that. People actually pay that much for a pre-lit tree. I'll stick with a Charlie Brown type...got plenty in my woods. Only this year I'll have to fight the fire ants for them.

Yep...Banner Elk. I love that place. I just can't do the fake trees as I am too stuck on the real deal.

Nice name.thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I didn't know there were any by Beech Mtn. I just may have to make the trip and see some friends as well. Thanks for the link Moto!

Your Welcome!

As a kid, me and my folks would go to the farmers market in Forest Park GA south of ATL to get our Christmas tree and the trees would always have a tag on them of "Banner Elk" because that is where they came from. That always stuck in my mind and once I got married, that was the first christmas trip I wanted to take. So now that we have spent that many years getting them from Banner Elk, it's hard to go anywhere else. When we first started going we would stay at Archers Mountain Inn which is on the side of Beech mtn at over 4,500 ft in elevation. So it was a prime spot for upslope flow snow and just regular snow. But now that we have 2 kids we usually try to find a cabin somewhere in Banner Elk so that we can stay in the "area".

Buying my 3rd pre-lit this Wednesday...going to several places to shop around before I buy....Gave the 1st tree to sis and bro in law....giving the 2nd tree to a friend of hubby's he works with....I am searching for a skinnier tree this year....I have always bought the big fat ones.....Also got some new deco this year....sliver,purple and teal blue....can't wait! Hoping to get the tree up Thanksgiving nite.....Gotta watch the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special...DVRed it.....I love snoopy and woodstock.....I loved the live trees, but my ornaments are too heavy.....1st time we are putting up a tree since getting our German Shepherd.....80 pounds of pounce!! We'll see how the tree survives.....Next year may have to buy tree #4 :lmao:

Buying my 3rd pre-lit this Wednesday...going to several places to shop around before I buy....Gave the 1st tree to sis and bro in law....giving the 2nd tree to a friend of hubby's he works with....I am searching for a skinnier tree this year....I have always bought the big fat ones.....Also got some new deco this year....sliver,purple and teal blue....can't wait! Hoping to get the tree up Thanksgiving nite.....Gotta watch the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special...DVRed it.....I love snoopy and woodstock.....I loved the live trees, but my ornaments are too heavy.....1st time we are putting up a tree since getting our German Shepherd.....80 pounds of pounce!! We'll see how the tree survives.....Next year may have to buy tree #4 :lmao:

I tend to use TG night to put the Christmas trees up also. I'm currently on a search for a good 7.5 ft that's not prelit. I love my multicolored lights. I can't use live trees because of the way my living room is setup.. with a cast iron wood burning stove.

I'm going to have to start using my old fart texting codes:

Old Aged Texting Codes

ATD -at the doctor.

BFF -best friend fell.

BTW -bring the wheelchair.

BYOT -bring your own teeth.

FWIW -forgot where I was.

GGPBL -gotta go, pacemaker battery low.

GHA -got heartburn again.

IMHO -is my hearing aid on?

LMDO -laughing my dentures out.

OMMR -on my massage recliner.

ROFLACGU -rolling on floor laughing and can't get up.

TTYL -talk to you louder

OMG - Over (at) My Grankid's

BRB - Better Run (to) Bathroom

WTF - Whizzing Takes Forever

Awesome Christmas tree!

On another note... what is the difference between the current ULL being discussed vs the bowling bowl we had a few years ago. Does anyone have a picture of the bowling ball event a few winters ago?

Go here and plug in that date 03/01/2009, pick your data, click get data. http://www.daculaweather.com/meso_archive.php

Panthertown Valley near Cashiers, NC is beautiful hike-in camping. Start on the west side not the east for an easier hike.

This area is beautiful and just over the GA border into NC. The top of Standing Indian is 5499 ft. The Appalachian Trail goes by the top of Standing Indian. There are quite a few tall mountains through there.

http://www.recreatio...TabIndex=Search Standing Indian campground is closed till april but there are plenty of places to camp in that area.

Just saw this & have been to both places. :thumbsup: To both. PV is breathtaking. Great wild trout fishing in that area. SI is a much easier and more used area. It is also quite stunning. Can't go wrong with either one. One other thing both areas are isolated but SI is alot closer to civilization.

Sweet win for Duke over Kansas in a great game!! Tyler Thornton with the improbable 3s late in the game to clinch another Maui Title for Duke. Glad I stayed up to watch it all. They'll be a fun team this year. Not sure if they can win it all, but I like the team play and chemistry they are already exhibiting early in this season.

Go Duke!!

OK Lookout... JUST FOR YOU.

I've added some of the NWS static images that display with no javascript. and I want you to know, this is a real pain in my rear but it's something I've been needing to do since they changed over, so thanks for asking for it! The page has some javascript but it won't effect the display of the images if you have it turned off.

You'll find the new images under the models menu on my site, the GFS and NAM are side by side on the menu (I'll be adding the other models shortly). Here you see the NAM, I only did these in 1024x768, the GFS has that size and 640x480.

gfs_menu.png

nam_menu.png

Sitting at home, watching the Macy's Thanksgiving parade. Ever since I found out about it, I've never missed a single one. Great stuff as always. :) I recommend it to kids who love a good parade.

Doing the same here, helping my wife get stuff ready, having a Mimosa popcorn.gif!

What's up with an hour of Broadway Musicals at the beginning? Please... rolleyes.gif I know they could come up with more variety than that. My wife has to watch the Dog Show afterwards. She says she's watched since it started coming on.

Doing the same here, helping my wife get stuff ready, having a Mimosa popcorn.gif!

What's up with an hour of Broadway Musicals at the beginning? Please... rolleyes.gif I know they could come up with more variety than that. My wife has to watch the Dog Show afterwards. She says she's watched since it started coming on.

Who knows why they have that routine the way they do. At first I thought I had missed the beginning (watched since 9am) until I saw the Sonic balloon come in, which told me that the actual parade just got started. I don't mind a couple of those musicals TBH, especially the one from Huey and Company but yeah they could at least start it a tad earlier like what most expected. Still, all of that waiting is well worth it since it gets you excited afterwards.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. When I left the house to go out of town for the rest of the week and headed for the in-laws I thought to myself I needed to unhook my computer and televisions (just in case we have a nasty squall line that zaps stuff). I forgot that would also unhook my weather station so now I won't know just how much rain falls with the upcoming system. Oh well, that sucks.

Sweet win for Duke over Kansas in a great game!! Tyler Thornton with the improbable 3s late in the game to clinch another Maui Title for Duke. Glad I stayed up to watch it all. They'll be a fun team this year. Not sure if they can win it all, but I like the team play and chemistry they are already exhibiting early in this season.

Go Duke!!

I fully agree with everything in the post, was a heck of a game.....weather wise another t-shirt Thanksgiving here. I also remember it was 70ish last year on Thanksgiving and we had a dusting of snow Dec 4th but by now all the models had the big pattern change last year and well the crystal ball is still rather murky this year in that regard although maybe by early to mid Dec we might get lucky with a real winter time pattern.

Tomorrow I am spending all day at the hunting club, the morning sit should be ok with temps in the mid 30's but I bet I will be swatting skeeters by lunch.....:arrowhead:

Archived