Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
November General Banter

Gastonwxman

Not an attack, just a joke...

post-119-0-64992700-1321281509.jpg

I have no problem with the captain obvious impersonators, however I do have a problem with him continually derailing threads instigating ill will toward others. He was 5ppd 3 weeks ago for this crap and since then the majority of his posts are still hostile in nature. Therefore he is gone... :banned: case closed

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an FYI, WeatherNC has been great, who I wanted as a member. Not to toot my own horn..toot toot. He is really going to be an invaluable asset come this winter.

I felt compelled to you guys this as both a warning that you better watch out with regards to trolling and with respect to misbehavior, attacks, and trolling, etc and as recognition of the job he is doing so far.

I feel like we really lucked up getting someone like him.

Lets see if the sentiment is the same come March :P j/j Still learning the ropes, and I am struggling at times to be honest, only 1 week in, and going to continue to take a backseat, window view of course. I really like your style Lookout of letting the discussion play out with little to any interference. I am still learning, so if your guys could give me about another month, around a supposed pattern flip to get the kinks out, I would appreciate it.

Lets see if the sentiment is the same come March :P j/j Still learning the ropes, and I am struggling at times to be honest, only 1 week in, and going to continue to take a backseat, window view of course. I really like your style Lookout of letting the discussion play out with little to any interference. I am still learning, so if your guys could give me about another month, around a supposed pattern flip to get the kinks out, I would appreciate it.

You probably won't be liked from the trolls and trouble makers but for the 98% of the other members I have *zero* doubt they will think as highly of you as they do now :D:thumbsup:

Just an FYI, WeatherNC has been great, who I wanted as a member. Not to toot my own horn..toot toot. He is really going to be an invaluable asset come this winter.

I felt compelled to you guys this as both a warning that you better watch out with regards to trolling and with respect to misbehavior, attacks, and trolling, etc and as recognition of the job he is doing so far.

I feel like we really lucked up getting someone like him.

Indeed.. Great choice. :)

From CR in the pattern change warmista debacle 384hr GFS vs day 10 Euro monster SE ridge combo thread...

I have a suggestion about these threads. Feel free to take it or leave it.

Why don't we have a current month obs thread and then a general discussion/pattern analysis/medium/long range-focused thread that's not specific to a particular month? That way, we can keep the obs and imby posts separate from the weather analysis stuff.

Regarding specific threats, they could have their own threads (but this could get out of control if there are a lot of threats or the dates of a particular threat change) OR they could be lumped into the general analysis thread.

I think that would provide just a bit more structure and clean things up a little.

Open to whatever suggestions you guys, and gals :wub: have. I like the monthly obs/disco thread, has worked well dating back to the main board at eastern, and neatens things up now that we have subs. During inactive periods, that is where the disco and obs should go imo, but I am interested in how everyone else feels. I have always liked storm specific threads, svr wx, tropical, and winter wx types. They make it much easier for archives sake, and are more explicit as to the disco being covered. We can get into the issue sometimes during big storms where there is a bunch of obs posts in the disco thread. That can be distracting during high traffic as some/many are still tracking the developing system while others are reporting 37/25 etc, virga... Then the question would arise do we need two specific threads, one for disco, and one for obs. However, that can make things confusing as there will be obs posts in the disco thread and model posts in the obs thread, always happens. But yes, I agree CR, we should have a disco on this, see how everyone prefers it, before we are rocking 100+ pages a day and find out oops, that did not work out so well. :popcorn:

I like the general obs thread that we keep during non-active months and held onto last winter.

I would like to keep that thread (usually the month is the title) and post obs, outlooks and normal disco related to the current month.

The banter thread is also great. It serves as a OT for us SE folks who hate or dislike the main OT section.

I have no problem with anyone wanting to start a thread if they wish. If it is about the SE and someone wants to post something that falls outside the monthly thread, great. More power to you!

However, as we have in the past, a specific threat thread is a must, once we get inside a good window of agreement.

So I guess two main threads (monthly and banter)

Also a specific threat thread.

2 cents

Oh yeah, AMWX does have a PM option. So if someone pisses you off PM them.

Good post Weather NC...

From CR in the pattern change warmista debacle 384hr GFS vs day 10 Euro monster SE ridge combo thread...

Open to whatever suggestions you guys, and gals :wub: have. I like the monthly obs/disco thread, has worked well dating back to the main board at eastern, and neatens things up now that we have subs. During inactive periods, that is where the disco and obs should go imo, but I am interested in how everyone else feels. I have always liked storm specific threads, svr wx, tropical, and winter wx types. They make it much easier for archives sake, and are more explicit as to the disco being covered. We can get into the issue sometimes during big storms where there is a bunch of obs posts in the disco thread. That can be distracting during high traffic as some/many are still tracking the developing system while others are reporting 37/25 etc, virga... Then the question would arise do we need two specific threads, one for disco, and one for obs. However, that can make things confusing as there will be obs posts in the disco thread and model posts in the obs thread, always happens. But yes, I agree CR, we should have a disco on this, see how everyone prefers it, before we are rocking 100+ pages a day and find out oops, that did not work out so well. :popcorn:

I like the idea of separate threads for obs vs. analysis. Obs thread for anything current or in the recent past (i.e. my temp is 'x' / I had 'y' amt of rain yesterday). Analysis thread for anything going forward. And yes, we'll need separate threads for the bigger events. That's the tricky one though, as sometimes those threads are opened pre-maturely. If that happens, we should lock those down and go back to the main disco thread until a real threat materializes.

I like the idea of separate threads for obs vs. analysis. Obs thread for anything current or in the recent past (i.e. my temp is 'x' / I had 'y' amt of rain yesterday). Analysis thread for anything going forward. And yes, we'll need separate threads for the bigger events. That's the tricky one though, as sometimes those threads are opened pre-maturely. If that happens, we should lock those down and go back to the main disco thread until a real threat materializes.

Tricky indeed... Who decides if a threat is real, seems like a slippery slope. We did not really have an issue last year with single storm threads being too rampant did we?

Yes, I recommended it. However, the ironic thing is that I've never even been to Nashville. My friends keep raving about it.

Aside: Those same friends had been pushing for me to go to Nashville with them for several years. We finally made plans together for early May of 2010 about a month in advance. But about two days in advance, I told them we should cancel because it looked like it was going to be nasty/rain much of the weekend per models/fcasts. Well, it did end up raining a lot that weekend. Moreover, that was the weekend of the historic flood! So, I've still never been.

For some reason, that just tickles me no end :) T

Agreed. I've always liked the way we organized the topics whenever we had a wintry/severe/tropical threat to analyze and discuss. We just need to make sure we don't end up with two topics regarding the same thing. :arrowhead: Makes it hard to figure out which one to follow. We saw enough of those random posts on the storm threads during the previous winter and caused nothing but clutter so a lot of those posts had to be moved into the monthly OBS threads IIRC. Thankfully it seems that we'll have that under control more easily with you and Lookout on the job, amongst the others that were made temporary mods. Hopefully we can avoid the confusion for this coming season.

I like the idea of having the obs thread separate from the pattern discussion/analysis thread. I think it's a little neater that way. And you don't have to scroll through a bunch of obs (assuming you're not interested in obs) to get to forecast ideas or thoughts about the medium/long range or pattern evolution. I agree that likely makes the most sense to have different threads for specific storm threats. Again, I think that one's the trickiest one to manage. You gotta somehow make sure that people aren't discussing the same threat in different threads and that you don't have different threat analysis in the same thread. And if the dates of the threats change, you gotta be sure to change the title of the thread...just little things like that. :)

When we came over from Eastern and the subforums were created, the evolution seemed to break topics out into the monthly disco/obs thread, the banter thread, and specific storm threads. Overall, I think that works well. But by maybe going one step further and having separate threads for obs and discussions, it would hopefully cut down on multiple threads about pattern analysis and things like that.

And on that note, for the record, I don't mind that CAD_Wedge_NC started the thread and that he based it off the 384hr GFS. In this kind of lull between seasons, especially leading into Winter, a lot of folks are looking for any hint of a pattern change to start showing up in order to have something to talk about, even if the hint is the 384hr 18Z GFS. At least it could spark some conversation about the matter in an otherwise relatively quite period. Besides, if the thread doesn't garner any interest, it'll fall to the bottom quickly enough.

Personally I like to have two seperate threads during active periods (one for obs and one for storm disco). Then during super active times having a seperate thread for each storm threat is nice.

my $0.02... Breaking up the conversation into two threads, for obs and disco, always leads to interrupted and disjointed discussions. Also, this leads to more moderating that will have to happen when posts are mistakenly crossposted and the subsequent bashing that happens. However, our group has gotten large enough where without splitting these conversations into two threads has become a necessity. so... two mods, two black ops and, more importantly, self policing may be enough to handle this.

I have no problem with the captain obvious impersonators, however I do have a problem with him continually derailing threads instigating ill will toward others. He was 5ppd 3 weeks ago for this crap and since then the majority of his posts are still hostile in nature. Therefore he is gone... :banned: case closed

I have never :wub: you more than I do at this moment. :hug:

I like the idea of having the obs thread separate from the pattern discussion/analysis thread. I think it's a little neater that way. And you don't have to scroll through a bunch of obs (assuming you're not interested in obs) to get to forecast ideas or thoughts about the medium/long range or pattern evolution. I agree that likely makes the most sense to have different threads for specific storm threats. Again, I think that one's the trickiest one to manage. You gotta somehow make sure that people aren't discussing the same threat in different threads and that you don't have different threat analysis in the same thread. And if the dates of the threats change, you gotta be sure to change the title of the thread...just little things like that. :)

When we came over from Eastern and the subforums were created, the evolution seemed to break topics out into the monthly disco/obs thread, the banter thread, and specific storm threads. Overall, I think that works well. But by maybe going one step further and having separate threads for obs and discussions, it would hopefully cut down on multiple threads about pattern analysis and things like that.

And on that note, for the record, I don't mind that CAD_Wedge_NC started the thread and that he based it off the 384hr GFS. In this kind of lull between seasons, especially leading into Winter, a lot of folks are looking for any hint of a pattern change to start showing up in order to have something to talk about, even if the hint is the 384hr 18Z GFS. At least it could spark some conversation about the matter in an otherwise relatively quite period. Besides, if the thread doesn't garner any interest, it'll fall to the bottom quickly enough.

Agree :)

my $0.02... Breaking up the conversation into two threads, for obs and disco, always leads to interrupted and disjointed discussions. Also, this leads to more moderating that will have to happen when posts are mistakenly crossposted and the subsequent bashing that happens. However, our group has gotten large enough where without splitting these conversations into two threads has become a necessity. so... two mods, two black ops and, more importantly, self policing may be enough to handle this.

Agree :)

This makes about as much sense as starting a pattern thread based on the brightness of Jupiter last night.

That's a bit dramatic. My point was simply that I think the discussion is fine to have, so I don't mind the thread. You and I might not use the 384 GFS or the GFS at all to start the thread, but regardless, it's a weather board, there's not much going on, and we're not in storm mode, so the thread is ok.

I just don't see a lot of value in beating a non met up for starting a relevant discussion in a boring weather period, even if the thing they chose to use as the catalyst for the conversation is a fantasy-land GFS prog.

Besides, CAD is not a problem poster and contributes in a positive way to this great SE community.

I started on these boards the winter of 08/09 so I haven't been around these boards for a truly bad winter. I am not saying this is going to be a bad winter (snowless) but I can't imagine what things are going to be like come January if things are not looking up. The good news if this is a warmish winter it will at least save us money on our heating bills.

That's a bit dramatic. My point was simply that I think the discussion is fine to have, so I don't mind the thread. You and I might not use the 384 GFS or the GFS at all to start the thread, but regardless, it's a weather board, there's not much going on, and we're not in storm mode, so the thread is ok.

I just don't see a lot of value in beating a non met up for starting a relevant discussion in a boring weather period, even if the thing they chose to use as the catalyst for the conversation is a fantasy-land GFS prog.

Besides, CAD is not a problem poster and contributes in a positive way to this great SE community.

+1. I'd hate to see things devolve to the point where a contributor is afraid to start a thread because he/she is not a met. I wouldn't have been able to watch CR's Xmas insanity prove completely sane :) T

+1

+1. I'd hate to see things devolve to the point where a contributor is afraid to start a thread because he/she is not a met. I wouldn't have been able to watch CR's Xmas insanity prove completely sane :) T

+1

Archived