• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pictures Thread: October HECS

powderfreak

Hey all... would you folks mind dumping your photos into this thread? Not sure if there have been any images posted yet but this is a storm for the ages.

For those of us sitting on the outside looking in, we need to live vicariously through the images. Help us out! Enjoy the snow.

It will be fun to look back on a thread full of ridiculous images of October dumpage.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We only got about 4" but it still made for some nice scenes...for October the thirtieth.

We don't have much in the way of oaks around here but those that are here are still hanging onto their leaves:

The wind is ripping across the hills right now:

The broad view:

wow, nice pics, you should blow some of them up and sell them.. seriously.

We only got about 4" but it still made for some nice scenes...for October the thirtieth.

We don't have much in the way of oaks around here but those that are here are still hanging onto their leaves:

6294362015_5725ef6c15_z.jpg

6294894540_38023bde11_z.jpg

The broad view:

6294369919_34810e5ccb_z.jpg

great pics even if it's not that deep.. love the detail/contrast of the snowy evergreens

Love the shot of your dog in mid-pounce. My old dog used to run laps around the house and would tear the snow cover to shreds. It drove the OCD in me insane.

:lol: I know exactly what you mean.

Nice pictures guys, this was a fun storm to watch. I didn't post much since I live across the country but I am always interested in historic storms.

6294362015_5725ef6c15_z.jpg

6294894540_38023bde11_z.jpg

The broad view:

6294369919_34810e5ccb_z.jpg

Incredible shots. I love the blowing snow at treetop level. Being from MN/ND, blowing snow is a love of mine.

Love the shot of your dog in mid-pounce. My old dog used to run laps around the house and would tear the snow cover to shreds. It drove the OCD in me insane.

Yeah my partner was like "let me take a picture first, don't let her ruin the snow!" I am very non-OCD.

Do you have another dog? We lost ours in June and got the new one 6 weeks later. Would be hard for me to live up here without a dog.

Since I moved here in March 31 2008:

- moved into 2 feet on the ground on April 1 after a !~150 inch winter

- had a 5 day total of 31 inches in mid December 2008

- 2 of the 3 winters close to 100 inches

- snow depth of 36 inches early 2011

- 22.5 inch storm mega death band Jan 12 2011

- and now 17 inches in October in another mega death band.

What a great place to live...

Mock Armageddon... Trees, huge ones, severely damaged everywhere across Middlesex County in Mass. Big oaks and late leafed maples hanging precariously over power and telegraphs lines. Region-wide power infrastructural collapse took place. Town after town after town, down and left in the dark. Infuriated by a friend who lives in Framingham, who sent me an email that arrogantly tones, "Yep, 3" here and about what I expected. Over sensationalized weather scenario as usual".

He is a friend, but I have to say, these are the clowns standing around when it finally strikes home with these fugue looks on their face.

I drove home at 11pm last night and there were no street lamps, no traffic lights, no house lights visible, not even that butterscotch hue in the sky that is given off on snowy nights because of reflections of man. All the way between Clinton and Ayer, no lights. Everything was desolate and dark. The only sound was that of snow particles disintegrating in the wind. By light of my headlights, sheets of snow blew over my windshield, while I occasionally had to slalom around downed limbs in the road. - eh, guess in retrospect it wasn't a good idea to attempt that trek home. At one point I had to park the car and physically remove a limb laying across the road.

I have a massive tree down in my back yard, some of which is laying on my roof! No apparent structural damage, thank god. No power, not even an ETA from the town on when it will be restored. Scary night with loud crackling booms of timbre downing all around and all night long; it sounded like canon play; the scene augmented by blue-green flickers and flashes by failing transformers that cut the eerie silence with distant groans; kinda like just before one of those War Of The World tri-pods fired their weapons. The house was down to 48F this morning already (mainly because I keep the place pretty cool to begin with - not sure that's a good idea now).

I learned a lesson about outfitting ones home for emergencies... I need a generator. My house is all electric so pipe freezing would be an issue if this was mid winter and we were looking at several days in the teens immediately after. This was a freak show event that actually started back in early October when we had obnoxiously warm days - well, relative to climatology that is. They were pleasant to be in, but the downshot was that the foliage deposition was seasonally seriously impeded. Trees are still 60-80% foliated, and that was no no no good for even 2" of wet snow, let alone a once in a 100-year pre- Halloween 20" sort of thing. I think I got about 10" in Ayer at the house, but it is hard to be certain given to compaction being high. It was 30F there when I arrived with blowing snow late, but the first half of that storm was 33 or 34F with S+.

Yeah, storm pretty much went down as advertised. Won't know the full regional impact until a couple days of assessment.

Wow what a remarkable, remarkable thing.

Archived