joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pictures Thread: October HECS

powderfreak

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was a bit chocked that I didn't see more in the way of evergreens down, those guys have to be strong as hell. I can't even recall seeing any down.

They are quite flexible...the pines are a bit more vulnerable. But for the most part even back in the ice storm, the evergreens survived very well.

Up at my clients today in North Stamford, in Alpha 5 territory, 1 mile from the ny border at 495 ft asl........not much left, client measured 6" of snow from treemageddon, some impressive tree damage up there though. Been all over that area, searching for those 12 inch amounts, keep hearing 6 in that area, makes sense.........my search continues for MT ALPHA 5

A few more one from the ride home this evening and one from this morning. It is basically a Winter landscape. If it weren't for the Halloween decorations and the occasional tree with a few orange leaves on it you'd swear it was December. All my x-c trails are well covered and have been setting up firm by dusk. Even if temps warm enough to melt this off I will have had well over a week of early season snow fun. This has been a great stroke of fortune.

post-839-0-52378500-1320273105.jpg

post-839-0-39988700-1320273267.jpg

Amazing how much is left where you are Pete! Mostly gone here in the sunny areas. My deck, which is very shady and faces north, still has about 9 or 10 inches on it though. The lawn, which is quite sunny, now has large bare patches on it. Woods still look mostly snow covered from what I can see.

Amazing how much is left where you are Pete! Mostly gone here in the sunny areas. My deck, which is very shady and faces north, still has about 9 or 10 inches on it though. The lawn, which is quite sunny, now has large bare patches on it. Woods still look mostly snow covered from what I can see.

Elevation FTW. My firnd in Columbia county says his snow will be gone in a day or two and wants me to play golf this weekend. I have agreed hoping for the daily double of skiing in the morning and 18 in the afternoon. Personally, I'm ready for another storm. The only thing better than a big snowstorm is several big snowstorms in a row.lol

Nice Wiz, nobody has brought this up, but..........you left your town right before the most epic storm in its history, to me worse than the missed Torn

Yup :lol:

The party in VT though was for me and I really didn't want to be the one to cancel it. My friend and I did talk though numerous times about cancelling it b/c of the potential danger involved, such as getting stranded up on the mountain.

It would have been crazy with all the thunder/lightning and hearing transformers blow and trees crack all night.

Yup :lol:

The party in VT though was for me and I really didn't want to be the one to cancel it. My friend and I did talk though numerous times about cancelling it b/c of the potential danger involved, such as getting stranded up on the mountain.

It would have been crazy with all the thunder/lightning and hearing transformers blow and trees crack all night.

My impression from what peeps I know living in West Hartford was it was extremly intense and scary.

My impression from what peeps I know living in West Hartford was it was extremly intense and scary.

It was.....I'll never forget the cracking sounds followed by the thuds....I couldn't sleep Saturday night....kept thinking the thud would eventually be on the roof.....at one point the rate of falling limbs was like one limb every one or two minutes sometimes multiple limbs....I saw several fall....just a block away a two foot oak is in my neighbors bedroom....an amazing storm.....it was stupid but yes I had to walk around the block in the middle of it....kept looking up....the sounds were amazing....

104 hours and counting.....West Hartford still in the 90's for percent out.....:axe:

It was.....I'll never forget the cracking sounds followed by the thuds....I couldn't sleep Saturday night....kept thinking the thud would eventually be on the roof.....at one point the rate of falling limbs was like one limb every one or two minutes sometimes multiple limbs....I saw several fall....just a block away a two foot oak is in my neighbors bedroom....an amazing storm.....it was stupid but yes I had to walk around the block in the middle of it....kept looking up....the sounds were amazing....

104 hours and counting.....West Hartford still in the 90's for percent out.....:axe:

Going through the areas of West Hartford w/o power is eerie. It's like a ghost town.

Going through the areas of West Hartford w/o power is eerie. It's like a ghost town.

Yes....today I drove down park road heading west....everything on the road is on until you get to Quaker where it's like going into a black hole.....troutbrook is totally out....no power unti main street....really eerie...

Yes....today I drove down park road heading west....everything on the road is on until you get to Quaker where it's like going into a black hole.....troutbrook is totally out....no power unti main street....really eerie...

Yeah my mom said Quaker area is completely out...that's why I'm lucky, that's just two streets away from me. Actually looking down my street I may be the only one with power on my street b/c I see no lights on anywhere.

Elevation FTW. My firnd in Columbia county says his snow will be gone in a day or two and wants me to play golf this weekend. I have agreed hoping for the daily double of skiing in the morning and 18 in the afternoon. Personally, I'm ready for another storm. The only thing better than a big snowstorm is several big snowstorms in a row.lol

That's awesome Pete...enjoy it man, I know you are!

Always a good feeling when you get a week of skiing in in October; it starts to feel like the daily winter routine again.

We really need to get a SNOWTEL system like they have out west, set-up in a clearing up there at 1500ft. Then everyone can monitor the snowpack and snowfall remotely.

I really can't remember the names of the streets :lol:

I think one that veers to the left might be Ware actually then it quickly veers to the right and becomes something else then the street goes right/left and is Kingswood (that I know) and if you go left it turns into South Quaker Lane. I may have drawn the map wrong too...oh well.

Archived