Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
October 29/30 Snowstorm Disco - III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The conservative map has me at 8"-10".

In reality I am hoping just to get my temp below 40f during the course of this storm.

And thats how much attention you should pay to those CoolWX graphics.

All snowfall graphics suck. I can walk up a mountain and go from nothing to 10" in 2 miles. No way a 500 mile map image can show that kind of resolution. And CoolWX isn't one of the best.

But speaking to your situation... I see lots of upper 30s in your area on Mesonet. And the meat of the storm is still several hours away. You have plenty of time to cool below 35F.

I know the GFS is rolling in, but precip should start sometime in the afternoon.....do we think that there can be any accumulation during the daylight hours or do we have to wait till nightfall?

The higher terrain should start accumulating pretty quickly after it starts...once it becomes mod/heavy. CP will have to wait a little longer, but I suspect the western CP near 495 will still def be snow pretty fast...probably by 4 or 5pm.

The higher terrain should start accumulating pretty quickly after it starts...once it becomes mod/heavy. CP will have to wait a little longer, but I suspect the western CP near 495 will still def be snow pretty fast...probably by 4 or 5pm.

Ok. That is what I have been telling everyone. Good to know I wasn't just talking out my rear end. Over/Under how long snow pack lasts......3 days?

I think this run is better for ORH area than the previous one. Looks like less dry slot issues as the 700mb low is a bit more consolidated to the south.

I think dryslot issues should be fairly brief anyway...if they occur at all, they would def be pretty early in the game right after the initial WCB burst...but as the system starts mushroom clouding south of LI everything will become more compact and want to converge towatd the center of the deepening low so the DS would probably get chewed up pretty quickly and fill back in to the SE.

Also interesting to see the GFS shrink the 24 hour QPF in WPA and CPA. Kind of a common thing as it focuses more on the most intense dynamics which will be over Will and Pete's head.

Very happy to see the GFS stop going west. This is a decent bump east from the 12z.

Stays course

Archived