Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
October 29/30 Snowstorm Disco - III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just ran a skew-t from that for mby. Looks like things could start as snow out here--or have just a smidge of taint at the very start. I assume that would hold true for all of GC and probably elevations in ORH County as well? Maybe less paste more powder equalling less question about power/trees

What ID did you use?

Noyes

6a00d83451c01c69e201539.png

Sorry, but I'll be pissed with 4"

I think his line int he sand for the serious to non serious...the edge of the light blue cutting through SE CT up into RI and MA is dead on...based on all the model guidance up to the 0z NAM. I think the gradient will be much steeper on the left side of that though working upwards fast. To the SE of it Ithink we're all in the same wet boat...and a general coating to 3" should fall. I also like his shadow regions there in the CT valley up into MA where lack of elevation will hurt for a time. I think based on what we have now for data, great forecast. EDIT: Up by Will I think that's going to be too low, I don't see a tremendous difference between SKIMRG and Will in terms of impact but MRG will have better ratios.

EDIT: if I were in his shoes this is what I'd run with until the Euro. If the Euro stays the course and wants to really hold the cold air, I'd seriously increase the totals in SE CT, RI, and MA west of Rte 24. But will the euro hold? I think you have to ride it off the cliff, if it's wrong it's wrong.

My house, flakes not accumulating to 1.5"

Plymouth Airport coating to 2.5"

Middleboro center 1-3.5"

KTAN: 2-4" (mainly N of them a few miles for the heavier amounts)

Sharon/Easton border 2-5"

Will -7-14"

MRG 12+

The ramp up from the slop line to gold snow will be super steep, I bet we see 3-6" totals bordered by 10-15" totals over juts a few miles.

To those who might not know what I mean...think of it as a combo of warmth and moisture. Those values are really high to have so far north and that close during a snow event.

was gonna ask, thanks for the explanation.

these are some pretty consistently astonishing model outputs... that comma head looks pretty spectacular.

so the NAM holds in < 30 hrs... why do these big events so frequently come down to the wire in computer modeling... hope that the GFS flinches southeast is growing.

Four inches with wind and several weakened limbs would spell trouble down here.

If ya got a sec, watch matt noyes' forecast..his WSI model he uses was SPOT ON last year. It flips Westbrook-Old Lyme at like 4AM til 8AM with temps 32-34..we might pick up 2-3" tops...New Haven west may pick up 4-8 especially north of the merrit.

It's a little more than 25 miles from Fairfield to Old Lyme! Maybe 65?

If you go by highway mileage, about 50 miles. Exit 70 is at mile marker 79 while the Fairfield exits are in the 20s. We have these little tombstone like things along Route 1 all over town that are engraved with the distance to Fairfield. If I drive east a bit I run into the one that says "Fairfield 30 miles."

What's your take on winds for folks away from the center? Just a normal breezy day?

You'll have some wind tomorrow night I think. Maybe 30mph or so? Could be higher gusts since the airmass aloft is cold and the airmass at the surface is cold..but not the arctic cold in the winter. This may result in some better mixing of winds aloft.

NAM doesn't do much to resolve thermal questions in the CP away from the immediate shoreline. I think I could get anywhere from 1-6 inches given all the possibilities. Likely to be a steep transition between 128 and 495 but it looks like it goes hard even here for awhile early Sunday.

Archived