amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
October 29/30 Snowstorm Disco - III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That band as shown would nuke eastern areas. There's gonna be a sick gradient between areas just to my se like Hull and Weymouth, and areas like Needham for example. Even today, there was snow in Hyde Park..like a coating still OTG this morning while I had nothing, That's about 4 miles as the crow flies.

I was thinking about staying up in Andover tomorrow night because of work Sunday morning at 5am. I was hoping for a 6-8 or 6-9 deal there too. At least you're in ASH away from the marine taint.

Yeah I like my location. Won't do as well as GC but that's to be expected.

That's why I said the ML centers seem farther south in my post.

They aren't compact though as 12/9/05...we'll have to see how that materializes. The ML centers will start off fairly broad but they will become more tightly wound as time goes on in this storm. That's why some people could be fooled into thinking its toaster time early on and then get surprised as everything bombs out to the east.

I was thinking about staying up in Andover tomorrow night because of work Sunday morning at 5am. I was hoping for a 6-8 or 6-9 deal there too. At least you're in ASH away from the marine taint.

Head for GC. MPM will give you a guest shawl. I'll drive you around the Tundra in the Tundra.

They aren't compact though as 12/9/05...we'll have to see how that materializes. The ML centers will start off fairly broad but they will become more tightly wound as time goes on in this storm. That's why some people could be fooled into thinking its toaster time early on and then get surprised as everything bombs out to the east.

Did you see the MM 5 tropo maps, disgustingly beautiful, hole in the atmosphere during the bombogenisis.

I guessed 2.5" for me earlier and Will thought closer to 4". I'm a little uneasy about where I am for a majority of the storm and don't know how this last band will set up..or where, but that band has the potential to really bomb someone. Basically all that warm and moisture laden air will be forced west and then squeezed, so that we have that narrow but possibly very heavy band of snow moving east. This is high octane air that this low will ingest.

How much of a weenie am I? I'm sitting in my car in the parking lot of the Limington library mooching their WiFi waiting for the 21z SREFs.

Not naked yet.

I was fortunate enough to have company for dinner so they were a great distraction. Now I hope to sleep at least 6 hours. I didn't sneak away once to check my computer!

I guessed 2.5" for me earlier and Will thought closer to 4". I'm a little uneasy about where I am for a majority of the storm and don't know how this last band will set up..or where, but that band has the potential to really bomb someone. Basically all that warm and moisture laden air will be forced west and then squeezed, so that we have that narrow but possibly very heavy band of snow moving east. This is high octane air that this low will ingest.

You seem less confident?

The meso models are really making this thing compact on the nw quadrant of the storm. If you put me in a coma and woke me up...I would have thought that it was January and no big deal that I was seeing what is shownon the models. To have the column dynamically cool to snow in October only 40-50 miles from the low center is epic.

There's almost certain to be some premature nooses tied in this...esp for E areas. But all hell should break loose later as the system has those incredible height falls to the ESE and eventually E. That's what makes this likely to be different than the Boxing day dryslot issues...the upper air nuked out too far to our SW in that one.

I know you guys are much more focused on your areas and rightfully so. That said the 12z Euro was actually far more impressive IMBY than any previous run.

42d4d0af-5456-004e.jpg

What's tough for SE MA particularly is that these storms have a bad habit of lifting the comma head too far NE as they exit brushing norther areas. We'll see, but it's going to be awesome to watch.

SREFs looked almost the same at 06z Sunday. Maybe a hair cooler?

Yes it really compresses the isotherms. Its slp track looks a tick W of the 15z run, but its actually E with the -4C 850 isotherm. Its really crunching them together...goes well with what you said is happening on the NW side of this storm. The dynamics are just insane.

It looks like it has that nasty stinger too on the tail of the CCB...even evident on the mean.

Yes it really compresses the isotherms. Its slp track looks a tick W of the 15z run, but its actually E with the -4C 850 isotherm. Its really crunching them together...goes well with what you said is happening on the NW side of this storm. The dynamics are just insane.

It looks like it has that nasty stinger too on the tail of the CCB...even evident on the mean.

what do you mean by stinger? just heavy snow?

The meso models are really making this thing compact on the nw quadrant of the storm. If you put me in a coma and woke me up...I would have thought that it was January and no big deal that I was seeing what is shownon the models. To have the column dynamically cool to snow in October only 40-50 miles from the low center is epic.

LOL I still have snow on my deck a full day after 1 inch of snow in Oct after a day of full sun, epic.

On my almost full shade elevated deck I have 2.5" of the 4" left at least. In the sun areas it was 90% wiped out...combination of full sun, warm wet ground underneath and upper 30's.

30 here now.....

Oh today was very late first freeze and it was 24 degrees...

LOL I still have snow on my deck a full day after 1 inch of snow in Oct after a day of full sun, epic.

Archived