Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
October 2011 General Discussion/Obs

Chicago Storm

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to believe how time is flying. Snow is not far off. Took this shot overlooking Wyandotte yesterday, a 7th story view.

2942-800.jpg

Man, lots of leaves there -- in fact, a lot of green leaves still. Same deal here. I remember growing up green leaves in late October would have been unheard of. The trees were barren by Halloween at the latest.

I think Tropical posted that late fall foliage means a cold, snowy winter. It seems like it held up well last year with the late foliage as well.

Absolutely amazing here. Was pretty oblivious about them until my phone started ringing off the hook. Literally jumped up out of bed, ran outside in boxers and got in the car and drove two blocks out of town. I've seen them before, but never like that. The sky was literally nothing but red and green. Lasted about 10 minutes. I'm going to go through my video/pictures here in a bit, see if any of them turned out decent.

anyone seeing the northern lights tonight? I went out west alittle and saw nothing but they are being see all over the place from WI-KC-AR-OH.

I can see it at Valpo, but there's still a lot of light from the campus, and the city of Valparaiso is to our west-northwest, which doesn't help.

It looks like a milky red smear, more like thin clouds at sunrise than anything spectacular. Man, if I could just get up to the Dunes...

anyone seeing the northern lights tonight? I went out west alittle and saw nothing but they are being see all over the place from WI-KC-AR-OH.

Yeah they were fantastic tonight, but unfortunately by the time I got word and could get out there they were very faint.

This is pathetic compared to what others captured tonight.

post-613-0-61617000-1319520384.jpg

...IL/IND/OH INTO MO...KS...OK...

RATHER WEAK LOW LEVEL LAPSE RATES WILL EXIST ACROSS THE WARM

SECTOR...EVEN BY PEAK HEATING WITH FORECAST SOUNDINGS SUGGESTING MU

PARCELS WILL BE ELEVATED AT AROUND 850 MB. EVEN SO...FORCING WILL

INCREASE ESPECIALLY NEAR THE LOW CENTER WITH STORMS EXPECTED TO

ERUPT OVER MUCH OF NRN IL BY 00Z. COOL TEMPERATURES ALOFT AS WELL AS

SOME WIND SHEAR WILL AID IN SMALL TO MARGINALLY SEVERE HAIL

DEVELOPMENT. MEAN FLOW THROUGH THE STORM WITH BE STRONG...WITH 50-60

KT WINDS HELPING TO INDUCE SURFACE GUST POTENTIAL. THESE STORMS ARE

LIKELY TO PERSIST IN SOME FORM AS THEY TRAVEL INTO INDIANA AND OH

OVERNIGHT WITH A CONTINUED THREAT.

Maybe. I'm not really sure- I went out into the country, but about 30 minutes after the "peak" of reports came in last night. It was very faint if anything- I didn't take any long exposures on my camera- so its hard to say. Some pictures from around here are ridiculous though.

Update from the University of Waterloo. 2011 continues to break all kinds of records here.

Longest frost free season ever seen

On the morning of October 23rd at 4:45 am the temperature went below zero for the first time since the spring. It stayed below zero for almost 4 hours with the lowest temperature being -0.9°C.

The bigger news is that by my calculations the frost free season went from May 1st to October 22nd this year which is a total of 175 days. This is the longest frost free season I have been able to find since records began in the region in 1915. This year just beat out 1941 when they had a stretch of 174 days above zero.

For full disclosure I just want to mention that there isn't enough data for 1937 and 1938 to be included in the analysis.

Hit 65 °F at 1 pm, which felt summery. Warm front has slid back south and were down to 54 °F with gusty north winds. The 40s holed up in northern Wisconsin could be here shortly.

This is the start of some cold weather, could hit freezing friday and saturday morning. Lots of sun on tap after tomorrow though so it won't be that bad.

1319582280[/url]' post='1059434']

Hit 65 °F at 1 pm, which felt summery. Warm front has slid back south and were down to 54 °F with gusty north winds. The 40s holed up in northern Wisconsin could be here shortly.

This is the start of some cold weather, could hit freezing friday and saturday morning. Lots of sun on tap after tomorrow though so it won't be that bad.

Made it to 77 here, gusty winds today cold front sweeps through tonight and drops some showers. Enjoy the cold weather, should be what I hope is one of the last days in the 70s of the year. Lol, with the way this year has been I'm not holding my breath.

How about the mid to upper 30s and rain in far N Wisconsin? 37 at places like Eagle River and Woodruff last hour.

Edit: Land O'Lakes has just dropped to 35 last hour with light snow. There was probably some very light snow mixed in with a cold rain event up there about a month ago, but otherwise I think that's the first (likely) legit snow report in the state this winter.

How about the mid to upper 30s and rain in far N Wisconsin? 37 at places like Eagle River and Woodruff last hour.

Edit: Land O'Lakes has just dropped to 35 last hour with light snow. There was probably some very light snow mixed in with a cold rain event up there about a month ago, but otherwise I think that's the first (likely) legit snow report in the state this winter.

Good to see snow starting to make its way into the state!

Archived