Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
October 2011 General Discussion/Obs

Chicago Storm

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't look at the 06z GFS, what has been seen can not be unseen :snowman: :snowman: :snowman: *

* obviously subject to change :P

ECMWF gets close. Reallll close. Gets pretty dang cold (850 below -5C) for much of Ohio/Michigan. Actually would be a wet snow for a lot of areas west of the low... just not far enough west for us to do anything with.

lol, all I know is bring on the amplified storm pattern, and keep it coming all winter long.

This. I don't think I was this encouraged by the pattern last year, so I'm getting a little excited.

06Z GFS for MOP (Sorry, I had to):

FRI 12Z 28-OCT   1.7    -5.6    1013      87      93    0.09     545     535    
FRI 18Z 28-OCT   0.6    -6.3    1007      96      99    0.37     540     534    
SAT 00Z 29-OCT  -0.5    -5.9    1003      96      99    0.42     536     533    
SAT 06Z 29-OCT  -0.5    -5.1     997      96      99    0.26     532     534    
SAT 12Z 29-OCT   0.4    -5.0     996      96      99    0.19     532     536    

Wow. Regardless of what occurs, I don't ever remember a snowstorm before mid november in the metro detroit area. Granted I am only 25, but the norm has been for it to be atleast thanksgiving to even think a substantial (more than flurries) snow storm is possible.

I've seen 2 6"+ storms in mid November (2002, 1997). Earlier than that, and I've been lucky to get a sloppy inch or two. October is usually just the time to sniff out the first couple of flakes. Anything else is the cherry.

I've seen 2 6"+ storms in mid November (2002, 1997). Earlier than that, and I've been lucky to get a sloppy inch or two. October is usually just the time to sniff out the first couple of flakes. Anything else is the cherry.

Do you remember the ENSO those years you got the early snow? Im assuming its more likely to occur on a neutral ENSO?

12z GFS is not going to build upon the 6z run.

Analyzing the 500mb charts there are similarities between the 0z GFS and 12z GFS. The vortex is slightly further south on the 12z GFS but the 12z weakens the storm and suppreses it towards the Mid Atlantic. The HP anomaly across Northern Ontario is def. further south than the other GFS runs. I'm not buying the 12z run.

Analyzing the 500mb charts there are similarities between the 0z GFS and 12z GFS. The vortex is slightly further south on the 12z GFS but the 12z weakens the storm and suppreses it towards the Mid Atlantic. The HP anomaly across Northern Ontario is def. further south than the other GFS runs. I'm not buying the 12z run.

Personally, I'm not buying anything right now. I'm heartened in remembering how the midweek storm played out with the models. Overall though, I'm just glad to be back to tracking, even if right now it's only rain I have to look forward to.

Toronto got about 3-5" on October 21st 1969 and again where we got just over 6 inches back on Nov 2nd 1951 followed by another 3-5" snow event 3-5 days later. Nov 1950 was also filled with many snow events esp. the blizzard near the end where we got over 12".

Source

Personally, I'm not buying anything right now. I'm heartened in remembering how the midweek storm played out with the models. Overall though, I'm just glad to be back to tracking, even if right now it's only rain I have to look forward to.

Agree fully!

It'll be interesting to see how the Euro plays this storm. The Euro/UKMET and perhaps the JMA nailed the storms last Winter so lets see. The 0z Euro and 0z GFS looked very similar precip/temp wise.

Certainly if this storm ends up similar to this previous storm that will be interesting and perhaps give us clues about Winter. Last year we had a few coastal in Oct/Nov whereas this year I dont think we even had 1 lol.

Agree fully!

It'll be interesting to see how the Euro plays this storm. The Euro/UKMET and perhaps the JMA nailed the storms last Winter so lets see. The 0z Euro and 0z GFS looked very similar precip/temp wise.

Certainly if this storm ends up similar to this previous storm that will be interesting and perhaps give us clues about Winter. Last year we had a few coastal in Oct/Nov whereas this year I dont think we even had 1 lol.

With that SE Ridge that you said should be staying strong through the next few weeks, do you think a NW trend will be realized? It really doesn't matter for lakeside locations like Milwaukee and Chicago, but it would mean more precip.

Toronto got about 3-5" on October 21st 1969 and again where we got just over 6 inches back on Nov 2nd 1951 followed by another 3-5" snow event 3-5 days later. Nov 1950 was also filled with many snow events esp. the blizzard near the end where we got over 12".

Source

accum. snowfalls in October have become pretty sparse in recent times. I vaguely remember a slushy coating back in the mid 1990s (maybe 1995).

They were actually both Ninos. 1997 was a particularly strong one. 2002 was a moderate one IIRC.

I well remember the fall of 1997. Everyone was calling for a torch, and October 1997 started out very warm. It turned very cold towards the end of October. It was until January/February 1998 that the torch trul took hold,

I experienced snow events before Halloween up in Ottawa in both 2008 and 2010.

1997, i think we already talked about this.

was one of my last winters in ottawa before i moved in 99

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?timeframe=2&Prov=XX&StationID=4337&cmdB2=Go&Month=10&Year=1997&Day=21

definitely snow on the ground for halloween where i lived at the time. i remember kids were hopping over snowbanks from house to house.

With that SE Ridge that you said should be staying strong through the next few weeks, do you think a NW trend will be realized? It really doesn't matter for lakeside locations like Milwaukee and Chicago, but it would mean more precip.

It depends. If the NAO/AO stay slightly negative then perhaps we can get more periods where the SE Ridge is active when comparing to last year but I think the storm track will be further NW than the past two Winters but the exact track depends on the pattern present at that moment. We've seen many storms tracking through the GL's region since September so its a possibility.

accum. snowfalls in October have become pretty sparse in recent times. I vaguely remember a slushy coating back in the mid 1990s (maybe 1995).

Hmm we had many October snowfall events back when the PDO was last negative and when it went positive that seemed to have stopped. Could we perhaps go back into that era once again? The 1940's through the 1970's featured some of the best Winters ever but the 80's and 90's were sh!t. Since 2007-present we've seen 3 decent Winters with one f*cked up one lol.

We'll see.

Archived