Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
October 2011 General Discussion/Obs

Chicago Storm

GRR.

It's been pouring for over 12 hours straight from a pesky lake effect rain band over Greater Cleveland. Perusing some of the wunderground personal weather stations, some locales are already over an inch of lake effect rain overnight. Easily would have been a surprise 12"+ snowstorm had this been a few weeks later.

Let's hope for this come Nov or Dec. Hate to "waste" these set-ups with LER instead of LES. What's odd is that the winds are SW'erly, yet the bands are moving in off of the lake WNW'erly. You would think that the shear would prevent the banding but that is not the case.

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's hope for this come Nov or Dec. Hate to "waste" these set-ups with LER instead of LES. What's odd is that the winds are SW'erly, yet the bands are moving in off of the lake WNW'erly. You would think that the shear would prevent the banding but that is not the case.

850's are almost west. Probably some convergence going on. This set up is almost identical to December 8th of last year. Really is a shame to blow this set up just a few weeks too early. Even BKL which has precipitation sensor issues is over 0.82" for the night.

If we can hold out the wet pattern for a few more months, we will no doubt start to cash in,in the very near future.

DTX

THIS NEXT SYSTEM...OR ACTUALLY SERIES OF DISTURBANCES...WILL BRING

BACK A WETTER WEATHER PATTERN FROM TUESDAY/WEDNESDAY AS A MEAN UPPER

LEVEL TROUGH BECOMES ESTABLISHED WITH TIME. THIS PATTERN CHANGE WILL

ULTIMATELY CULMINATE IN THE COLDEST AIR OF THE FALL SEASON BY WEEK/S

END WITH AT LEAST A CONTINUED PERIOD OF UNSETTLED WEATHER INTO THE

THURSDAY/FRIDAY TIME FRAME. WHILE THE OVERALL EXTEND/TIMING OF THE

PRECIPITATION IS SOMEWHAT IN QUESTION...THERE IS MORE CERTAINTY THAT

TEMPERATURES WILL MOST LIKELY FALL WELL INTO THE 30S AGAIN BY THE

END OF THIS FORECAST PERIOD...WITH DAYTIME HIGHS BY FRIDAY PROBABLY

STALLING IN THE 40S.

Potential snow threat for northern MI and parts of northern MN, which are in this region as of now. Guidance having sensitivity issues with respect to the leading wave, but there will be a significant cold air dump and a sharp low level baro zone. Lots of amplification potential should a decent wave emerge from the Rockies.

post-999-0-70078700-1319223999.gif

post-999-0-77926100-1319224004.png

post-999-0-42361900-1319224015.png

There was a freeze across Iowa this morning(widespread mid to upper 20s), but my yard got away with just a light freeze with only light frost. My most sensitive tender plants got zapped, but many others that I was expecting to freeze came through nearly untouched. Looking like those plants get another week.

Update: Many of my plants took a turn for the worse late this afternoon -- even the one I covered with a sheet -- so the freeze was a bit worse than I thought.

Potential snow threat for northern MI and parts of northern MN, which are in this region as of now. Guidance having sensitivity issues with respect to the leading wave, but there will be a significant cold air dump and a sharp low level baro zone. Lots of amplification potential should a decent wave emerge from the Rockies.

FWIW, the 18z NAM coming in stronger with this wave at 84hr then the 12z GFS and looks closer to the Euro.

Nice. Looks like the GEM is on board as well. Also advertises nice upslope snows over the high plains of Nebraska and Colorado. Should be interesting. :popcorn:

Funny. I was just thinking, the official excitement for this winter of tracking would come when the first potential snowstorm for N Wisconsin arrives. I come back after mostly ignoring the board today, and I find a chance for a snow event in N Wisconsin. It doesn't matter that we'll probably have to wait until late November for our first shot at a snowstorm.

Just wanted to pimp the snowfall contest, considering it's in the other/old forum. Please, we need more entries. Baro has promised that Hoosier is funding the prizes...they should be real nice. :guitar:

http://www.americanw...owfall-contest/

I heard that one of the prizes was Hoosier giving a personally guided tour of Purdue. :scooter:

We seem to be running colder than forecast. Wouldn't be surprised if we manage a freeze, if not here then just outside of town.

Down to 31“ at 6 AM. Will be a nice diurnal swing if we make it to the progged high of 59. Even better for LAF, with a prediction of 63.

Hard to call it a trend with the models just yet, but it looks like the EURO and GFS are playing catch up with the amount of amplification to a longwave trough forecasted to traverse the MS valley around D7. A number of GEFS members (and now the 6z GFS) are even more amped up. Just looking at the thermal structure, I'd say snow is a real possibility for somebody, assuming the more progressive solutions don't turn out to be correct.

Hard to call it a trend with the models just yet, but it looks like the EURO and GFS are playing catch up with the amount of amplification to a longwave trough forecasted to traverse the MS valley around D7. A number of GEFS members (and now the 6z GFS) are even more amped up. Just looking at the thermal structure, I'd say snow is a real possibility for somebody, assuming the more progressive solutions don't turn out to be correct.

Don't look at the 06z GFS, what has been seen can not be unseen :snowman: :snowman: :snowman: *

* obviously subject to change :P

Even if it turns out to be 100% rain, so long as the more amplified solution verifies, it gives me high hopes for this winter. This would make it two in a row that the models underforecasted in the med-long range.

Oh I agree, but the minute I started looking at the 500mb vort maps I knew by 84 that it would come in more amplified which is a nice feeling to see that.

Archived