12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
October 2011 General Discussion/Obs

Chicago Storm

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good point guys, the official definition is refreezing rain drops for sleet, which isn't happening.

It's technically small hail since these are small convective cells, but at the same time if the temp profile wasn't so cold it wouldn't be possible. When 850s are below 0° C I generally just consider hail to be a form of wintry precip.

Here in Milwaukee we have yet to have a frost either. It's very torturous for me b/c there have been 3 or 4 times when we were really close and even had frost advisories, yet just can't get it done near the lake. Allergies in late October sucks.

Yeah as a fellow allergy sufferer I feel your pain. It looks like that'll end tonight but still it's weird considering I'm used to scraping the frost off at the beginning of the month

I think the heavy rains of fall and very wet soils may be a contributing factor this year.

Yeah but we really have been pretty warm this year, it was 70 degrees not too long ago really

That is remarkable. It does look like you guys will snap that this week though.

I'll be very shocked if it doesn't happen tonight

A little off topic (I don't want to post in the NE threads). What do you think of the potential storm in the NE this weekend? Even if the thing bombs out, won't it be hard for snow to accumulate, except maybe the mountains?

Nah. I've found that it really doesn't matter, as long as it's snowing hard enough, snow will stick.

A little off topic (I don't want to post in the NE threads). What do you think of the potential storm in the NE this weekend? Even if the thing bombs out, won't it be hard for snow to accumulate, except maybe the mountains?

The big cities will probably be immunized from receiving snow because of the low level E wind off the warm waters. But you're not going to have to go too far inland for there to be a plastering of heavy wet snow. If the model depictions are right.

Our turn will come soon enough.

The big cities will probably be immunized from receiving snow because of the low level E wind off the warm waters. But you're not going to have to go too far inland for there to be a plastering of heavy wet snow. If the model depictions are right.

Here's hoping. I can't help wondering if this will be another winter where everywhere south of us gets more snow and cold against the averages than we do!

Here's hoping. I can't help wondering if this will be another winter where everywhere south of us gets more snow and cold against the averages than we do!

That would make this the most un-Nina like Nina winter ever. Probability of that happening is very low. If we get screwed, the +snow/-temp anomalies will be to our NW.

Just taking a quick look, it appears that low level winds turn offshore before precip shuts off (actually there's some fairly substantial precip being shown in some areas after the wind shift). I think there will be snow in the big cities in this setup. Accumulations are tricky...heaviest amounts should be just west but I could see at least some minor sloppy accumulations in the cities.

Just taking a quick look, it appears that low level winds turn offshore before precip shuts off (actually there's some fairly substantial precip being shown in some areas after the wind shift). I think there will be snow in the big cities in this setup. Accumulations are tricky...heaviest amounts should be just west but I could see at least some minor sloppy accumulations in the cities.

Yeah, I didn't look too closely at it. Other years where there is an early season nor'easter (forget October, I'm talking November), you'll see the EC AFDs keep coastal areas all rain even though a cursory look at the storm would indicate mostly snow. It may be a bias that the models under forecast low level warmth being advected off the ocean. But yeah, if a more offshore track like the NAM verifies, keeping the winds more N/NNE, it could snow even in the big cities. Climo would have me bet against it, regardless of what the models are showing 48 hours out.

First freeze. Growing season has ended. Have nothing to back this up scientifically speaking, but hopefully it accelerates some of the fall foliage. It's been lackluster so far.

Doesn't the change in foliage have more to do with the decreasing amount of sunlight as opposed to frost? This is why, I've always presumed, places like Ottawa and North Bay have their leaves change faster.

accuweather mentioned some of the years in which the northeast saw a noticable snowfall in late October and they include October 1925,1979 and 2005. Not good news for those of us outside of the snow belts who like snow in these parts. I checked the data and 1925/26, 1979/80 and 2005/2006 were lousy in southern Ontario.

accuweather mentioned some of the years in which the northeast saw a noticable snowfall in late October and they include October 1925,1979 and 2005. Not good news for those of us outside of the snow belts who like snow in these parts. I checked the data and 1925/26, 1979/80 and 2005/2006 were lousy in southern Ontario.

I might end up being wrong but I don't think looking at three years that had an October snow in the NE is worth enough to correlate it to winter in other regions. A lot of times a situation like that is just a perfect storm anyways and not indicative of the pattern.

Archived