amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
October Banter/ Disco

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't argue the departures--I really don't know.

But, I would be really careful using those stations as being indicative of what's going on in the Berks and on the east slope. First, none of them are "around GC". BDL is in the base of a furnace valley. BDL, DDD, and ORH are 45-65 miles away. DDD and PSF are on the other side of the Berks. ORH is across a valley and over the hills on the other side.

I say this not to dispute that it's been warm. And, MAYBE they can be used as a proxy for the departure since we don't have an official site. But, it is risky to use any of these to identify actual temps up here. The PDFamily site can typically show why.

But departures won't differ... the departure in the base of the valley should be the same as the top of a 4000ft mountain. Or at least in the same ballpark.

It won't be warm at every station in New England and below normal in a small area of the Berkshires.

+5 departures are a torch.

Toorcherific it has been. As Joe mentioned, it has really been awful (or great depending on your views) the last 2 weeks. Days and days of +10 departures after basically being normal around Sept 10...

That's fine with me, as long as we get some negatives when it counts... or even normal. Sometimes negative can be bad.

But departures won't differ... the departure in the base of the valley should be the same as the top of a 4000ft mountain. Or at least in the same ballpark.

It won't be warm at every station in New England and below normal in a small area of the Berkshires.

And that's why I said this:

"I say this not to dispute that it's been warm. And, MAYBE they can be used as a proxy for the departure since we don't have an official site"

I use the words "maybe as a proxy" because even with the actual climate sites, there are differences in the departure levels from one to another.

And that's why I said this:

"I say this not to dispute that it's been warm. And, MAYBE they can be used as a proxy for the departure since we don't have an official site"

I use the words "maybe as a proxy" because even with the actual climate sites, there are differences in the departure levels from one to another.

Noted... sorry bout that dude. Lets just solve this and put an ASOS in Pete's backyard.

Since the 20th at ORH, the daily departures have been

+6

+9

+12

+14

+13

+14

+14

+11

+9

What a stretch. Another nice one today

Yeah pretty identical up here... overnight lows killed us on many days. Especially when average lows have been 40-45F the past week and we've been seeing lows in the 55-63F range. It doesn't matter what afternoon highs are when you start that high in the morning, it'll be above normal. And yes, overnight lows count, haha. In the past 2 weeks our lows have varied from 63F to 32F and they all count equally, with many many more closer to the former than the later.

And I'll say there isn't a ski area in New England complaining about this above normal pattern... great for finishing projects and getting the mountain prepared for winter. Let it be below normal late October and November when we can actually use it for snowmaking and get some early snowfall. Below normal this time of year is 40s and rain for most with maybe some snow above 2,500 or 3K feet. Doesn't do much for me right now in September.

Archived