amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
October Banter/ Disco

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During the ski season, even though the snow is absolutely fantastic, people stop coming up to ski after Feb vacation. I've always found it silly that just because the snow is gone from people's backyards, they assume that it's done for the season up in the hills too.

I find it ironic that soo many people, even here, have the same mentality.

"My leaves are still green with no sign of turning, so that must be the case everywhere!"

It is simply not true, and the fact that you guys are making fun of a few posters in GC who are just reporting what they see blows my mind. I've always known that there's a certain degree of IMBYism to most posts, but wow... try to be a little more informed before making accusations!

It is obvious that leaves change first in colder climates. For those of you who think that your climate is the same as GC, take a look at the foliage pics, they should speak for themselves!

Has it been warmer than normal up here in GC? Yeah, that's undisputed. Has it been a "torch?" I'm not sure because we don't have a set definition of what a torch is... I refer to a "torch" as a period in summer where it's "OMG hot, I don't want to go outside," and in winter it's a period of a few days where there's a few days of melting.

The spring and fall are transition times... it's obviously going to start out at one extreme and end in another.

August is hotter than Sept, which is warmer than Oct, which is warmer than Nov.

I always look at the period of the Big E for seasonal change.. It never fails, every year there are several "summerlike" days at the beginning of the fair, and it always ends with very cool, autumnal weather.

For me, splitting hairs over temps in sept/oct and march/apr is crazy.

one of the best post i have seen on here in awhile and the thing about the Big E is so true thats when i also notice the change

During the ski season, even though the snow is absolutely fantastic, people stop coming up to ski after Feb vacation. I've always found it silly that just because the snow is gone from people's backyards, they assume that it's done for the season up in the hills too.

"My leaves are still green with no sign of turning, so that must be the case everywhere!"

It is simply not true, and the fact that you guys are making fun of a few posters in GC who are just reporting what they see blows my mind. I've always known that there's a certain degree of IMBYism to most posts, but wow... try to be a little more informed before making accusations!

It is obvious that leaves change first in colder climates. For those of you who think that your climate is the same as GC, take a look at the foliage pics, they should speak for themselves!

Has it been warmer than normal up here in GC? Yeah, that's undisputed. Has it been a "torch?" I'm not sure because we don't have a set definition of what a torch is... I refer to a "torch" as a period in summer where it's "OMG hot, I don't want to go outside," and in winter it's a period of a few days where there's a few days of melting.

The spring and fall are transition times... it's obviously going to start out at one extreme and end in another.

I always look at the period of the Big E for seasonal change.. It never fails, every year there are several "summerlike" days at the beginning of the fair, and it always ends with very cool, autumnal weather.

Not according to MRG...he's already been wearing his footy pajamas...

Great post but get one thing staright some of us prefer to ski in March!!!!

Who doesn't believe that the leaves are changing or even blowing off en masse in GC at this point? There comes a point when those of us, despite living outside of GC, can apply a little logic as to when to call the BS. You know like if you claimed it was snowing in Massachusetts in July I can call the BS on that even though I don't live there. Just like claiming that your leaves are beginning to change in early August. Lastly, denying this month as a torch hurts one's credibility regardless of what definition is used. A monthly departure of +3.5 and greater has a 10.2% chance of occurrence in New England, so while not unheard of, relative warmth with that kind of probability has to be a torch.

Who doesn't believe that the leaves are changing or even blowing off en masse in GC at this point? There comes a point when those of us, despite living outside of GC, can apply a little logic as to when to call the BS. You know like if you claimed it was snowing in Massachusetts in July I can call the BS on that even though I don't live there. Just like claiming that your leaves are beginning to change in early August. Lastly, denying this month as a torch hurts one's credibility regardless of what definition is used. A monthly departure of +3.5 and greater has a 10.2% chance of occurrence in New England, so while not unheard of, relative warmth with that kind of probability has to be a torch.

After being on here for a couple of years, in my own little noggin, I've decided that +10 for a daily departure is a torch and +2 or so for a monthly is a torch...

You are very good at statistical breakdowns from climate etc. Do you consider these numbers (the +10 and +2 I mentioned) torches?

I am also sick of torches at the moment, but it is what it is. At least I am not burning oil for heat yet.

After being on here for a couple of years, in my own little noggin, I've decided that +10 for a daily departure is a torch and +2 or so for a monthly is a torch...

You are very good at statistical breakdowns from climate etc. Do you consider these numbers (the +10 and +2 I mentioned) torches?

I am also sick of torches at the moment, but it is what it is. At least I am not burning oil for heat yet.

I use +12 daily departure and +3 monthly. I know everyone has their own opinion, but I'm roughly using z-scores as my benchmark. So a +4 is a big deal here, but in the Midwest it seems like that wouldn't be as big of a deal since the weather seems more varied out there, though I have not run those numbers in the same manner I did for New England.

I took 11 climate sites in New England: BDR, BDL, BOS, PVD, ORH, BTV, CON, PWM, BGR, HUL, and CAR, and computed the monthly departures for every month in their history which yields 8,756 station-months. From there I got the average (-0.43094) and standard deviation (3.09665), and since the monthly departures are normally distributed, it's easy to figure out the probability for a given monthly departure.

October will likely be above normal too though not like September, so lets just get right to it. Some might see blazing sun everyday, some might see snow falling only to be dandruff, but it seems like it will be above normal. First week or so looks rather cool, but then moderation after before maybe turning a little more wet mid month.

Another torch today, but it's rather pleasant.

October will likely be above normal too though not like September, so lets just get right to it. Some might see blazing sun everyday, some might see snow falling only to be dandruff, but it seems like it will be above normal. First week or so looks rather cool, but then moderation after before maybe turning a little more wet mid month.

Another torch today, but it's rather pleasant.

Yup--these 60's are killing me. Give me my 40's and 50's please.

I try to hold out right to the end before the shorts go away for the season, Thats when i know late fall has arrived...

First frost is what I equate to fall arriving.. I attribute the clock change to when we are in deep fall.. on the verge of winter

Archived