amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
October Banter/ Disco

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night's Euro is a disaster for next week with another cutoff to our west but closer than this past weeks was. Not sure if it's right as it's a change from past runs..but if so,, prepare for another wet, humid week...though not as muggy as the last 10 days were. i was hoping the 2nd cool shot would happen next week. Euro says no

Its the same exact cutoff...it just lingers.

you're mixing up the performance of this sites server with the performance of your internet connection.

threads are kept from getting huge because when you open a thread, the board has to load the posts, figure out the pagination, parse urls/emoticons/tags, increment counters, and several other tasks. in short, bigger threads = more data = slower query execution time = mysql backs up = board bogs down = people scream.

Yes emoticons seem to be a huge issue why not just eliminate them, why are the sports threads etc allowed to run 700 pages with 20000 views then, I am confused by a thread non weather related is allowed to slow our main interest down.

Yeah the warm and wet September killed the foliage season. Still a chance to get a bit more color this next week.

More likely the amount of salt dried on trees carried inland from Irene. NNe which had a wetter Sept has some spectacular color. The East side shutdown of rain into a misty wind driven salt mix during Irene deposited sea salt, then next week was completely dry. Lots of folks in SNE the next few days posted how the leaves looked shriveled, we did not see those posts from NNE.

More likely the amount of salt dried on trees carried inland from Irene. NNe which had a wetter Sept has some spectacular color. The East side shutdown of rain into a misty wind driven salt mix during Irene deposited sea salt, then next week was completely dry. Lots of folks in SNE the next few days posted how the leaves looked shriveled, we did not see those posts from NNE.

Would it be carried 100 miles inland? That seems extreme.

The muted leaf colors this year I believe are in part due to a non-native fungus that effects maples which got carried up to New England with Irene.

Yes emoticons seem to be a huge issue why not just eliminate them, why are the sports threads etc allowed to run 700 pages with 20000 views then, I am confused by a thread non weather related is allowed to slow our main interest down.

Something I've always wondered with respect to the off-topic section. I guess that also means the banter weather-side is just as guilty of slowing things down as well then if it truly is a more posts equals slower server response.

The salt only is noticeable along the immediate coast around here. The drab colors may have to do with some fungus that is affecting the trees. You really want a nice and dry September and we had the exact opposite.

Yes, OMG I just about fell off my chair when I saw this, Keith and I went to college at URI together! Totally lost contact with him, check out the Video, he explains apparently only coastal areas got the salt, but I will say my hood looks pretty muck like they show with driedd leaves falling everywhere, Oak and Maple, Get through the commercial

Dull fall inland is water plain and simple, look at the leaves when they fall you should see dark spots on the back with brown on the fringe, fungal pathogen parade. The salt killed everything within a few blocks of the beach here, even her at my house the salt got into the water table and killed my lawn, the white pines and a few dogwoods, hopefully they come back.

Now to the good stuff...........

BDR +3.7

BOS +2.1

BDL+3.7

PVD +2.7

ORH +3.2

these numbers have been obtained in two weeks, they were this impressive around the 9th before the impressive cold shot which knocked them down to around 0 or even below, the fact that these numbers are so high towards the end of the month when its harder to affect the mean is epic. (hi will)

The torch has been wonderful and now all the freaks who have to have it cold at the end of September will be happy as well, at the price of a dreary drabby weekend. Next week looks chilly, it will feel great, but our endless summer is just taking a short break to appease those that despise her. My endless summer shall return with a vengence around the 10th, it will be warm, and ball sweat will reign from GC to Ptown.............enjoy the cool weather....

The salt only is noticeable along the immediate coast around here. The drab colors may have to do with some fungus that is affecting the trees. You really want a nice and dry September and we had the exact opposite.

I was wondering about that, although some trees that were hammered by Irene look downright nasty in my neck of the woods. Kind of looks like foliage colors gone bad. Lots of dead brown on the trees (along with wind blown bare patches), and on the ground, and has been that way for a few weeks now.

Let's add a few more..

ALY +3.1

DDH +4.0

GFL +4.7

PSF +4.1

POU +3.7

BTV +3.4

MPV +4.1

1V4 +1.2

MVL +3.8

VSF +4.8

PBG +2.2

SLK +4.0

MSS +4.5

CON +3.8

GYX +2.1

PWM +2.5

BGR +2.9

CAR +3.3

FVE +2.3

HUL +3.2

MLT +3.6

Yeah its been very warm... some of the overnight mins were ridiculous with +20F departures. Overall though, aside from one cold snap that gave us our first 32F reading, its been incredibly warm in the means.

Nah...look at the stations around God's Country which would be BDL, PSF, ORH, DDH...all very warm. Safe to say even GC was +3-4 this month.

I won't argue the departures--I really don't know.

But, I would be really careful using those stations as being indicative of what's going on in the Berks and on the east slope. First, none of them are "around GC". BDL is in the base of a furnace valley. BDL, DDD, and ORH are 45-65 miles away. DDD and PSF are on the other side of the Berks. ORH is across a valley and over the hills on the other side.

I say this not to dispute that it's been warm. And, MAYBE they can be used as a proxy for the departure since we don't have an official site. But, it is risky to use any of these to identify actual temps up here. The PDFamily site can typically show why.

Archived