• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Prolonged rain potential, Sept 23-28th

Baroclinic Zone

Wow on the Ray stuff, funny. Models are swaying on QPF placement as usual. The SREFS still look juicy, GEFS backed off some although there is still some pretty good -SD. Timing of individual SW's and convective elements will be key. Surface destabilization with sun also will be interesting.

I like Ray or I wouldn't have said it. lol. Yep, it makes for a really tough forecast.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friday and Saturday certainly look wet, but it's really anomalous (at least imo) to have such a strong closed ULL actually retrograde to KDSM, this time of year. It seems to me that once it does move west, the airmass sort of dries out a bit and the pipeline of moisture weakens a bit. Also the big low to the north of New England perhaps causes enough wnw flow to limit the tropical transport north...especially Monday and Tuesday. Afterwards, the ULL starts to wobble east and the plume once again gets reinvigorated just off shore. That might be when any weak low might form and facilitate more heavy rains into SNE. Like you said, it's certainly not clear cut, but worth watching I suppose. The NAM has been trying to generate a weak warm core system over the waters well south of SNE this weekend.

Saturday looks dry except for a few showers..Maybe some lingering rain over ENE in the morning

Saturday looks dry except for a few showers..Maybe some lingering rain over ENE in the morning

I don't know...looks damp to me. Even if it's not raining..it will likely be cloudy and/or drizzle. Maybe the permanent sun over Fairfield CT will try to help out you guys, but doubt it.

I just hope my game tomorrow night won't be rained out. If it is, maybe we can play it Saturday. Fully expecting to be made fun of tomorrow night.

Would this pattern in the winter be good for snow, or mixed precipitation?

This weather is boring now. No sun.

you probably wouldn't get this type of system in the winter due to the position of the polar jet ect. but we have had some major blizzards with a cut off low over the TN Valley, 96 sticks out.

you probably wouldn't get this type of system in the winter due to the position of the polar jet ect. but we have had some major blizzards with a cut off low over the TN Valley, 96 sticks out.

Right... but one has to take into consideration where this moisture is coming from... if it screams up from the S or SW, in winter, it's only a matter of time until the majority of SNE mixes and flips over to rain. Hopefully there would be enough cold air in place to allow for a great front-end dump, ending with a thin crust on top as the dry slot comes in and we have only a period of drizzle, not a downpour once things warm up...

Right... but one has to take into consideration where this moisture is coming from... if it screams up from the S or SW, in winter, it's only a matter of time until the majority of SNE mixes and flips over to rain. Hopefully there would be enough cold air in place to allow for a great front-end dump, ending with a thin crust on top as the dry slot comes in and we have only a period of drizzle, not a downpour once things warm up...

Strong high pressure over quebec would be key..

Not bad. Is that thru next Wed?

Through next Thursday basically. It seems like every model run as wavered back and forth. The euro dumps on ern PA and NJ tomorrow which makes sense to me, given that the front is stalled there and a s/w moves into that region. The whole thing basically shifts east tomorrow night and Saturday, but slowly weakens. It's Tuesday through Thursday that again, offer another dose of +RA.

No one should have to ask this anymore with the WU maps out.

I still do not think those wunderground maps will stay free though. It goes against everything that ecmwf.int has done to this point with their data. It would be awesome if they stay free though because they are really nice maps.

Archived