amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Prolonged rain potential, Sept 23-28th

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, you're getting hit pretty good out there. That stuff in the LI Sound is headed your way too. It's interesting to see how this round of rain is more of an ENE special in comparison to round 1.

On my drive home to Dobbs Ferry, the heaviest rain was over the Pioneer Valley along I-91 from Greenfield to Northhampton. CEF had 0.98" in one six-hour period this afternoon, and Orange Municipal had 1.04" in this time frame this afternoon as well. It was quite dangerous with Route 2 closed at Savoy, probably due to flash flooding, and visibility lower than 100' in some spots on the highway with drenching rains and fog/mist being prevalent.

Jaffrey is now at 66/66 with light rain; I suspect it may be raining at a decent clip on campus as that radar has the look of hiding the intensity from the higher elevations of the Monadnocks. 70/3/70 here in Westchester with fog and overcast skies, incredibly warm for late September. Gross.

On my drive home to Dobbs Ferry, the heaviest rain was over the Pioneer Valley along I-91 from Greenfield to Northhampton. CEF had 0.98" in one six-hour period this afternoon, and Orange Municipal had 1.04" in this time frame this afternoon as well. It was quite dangerous with Route 2 closed at Savoy, probably due to flash flooding, and visibility lower than 100' in some spots on the highway with drenching rains and fog/mist being prevalent.

Jaffrey is now at 66/66 with light rain; I suspect it may be raining at a decent clip on campus as that radar has the look of hiding the intensity from the higher elevations of the Monadnocks. 70/3/70 here in Westchester with fog and overcast skies, incredibly warm for late September. Gross.

Rt 2 beyond Savoy is gone from the Irene flooding. It will take months if not longer to repair.

69/68 Sheet mist continues here even though the radar is clear. Hopefully some folks, somewhere are enjoying a dry day...

Rt 2 beyond Savoy is gone from the Irene flooding. It will take months if not longer to repair.

69/68 Sheet mist continues here even though the radar is clear. Hopefully some folks, somewhere are enjoying a dry day...

oh crap, i was planning on taking rt 2 as part of my drive to get to the wedding in Marlboro, VT...didn't want to go take the Pike to 91N

nvm, Savoy is west of the junction of RT 2 and 91...

This system may still have some tricks up its sleeves. The train of moisture and the possibility of a developing low over the Bahamas is quite interesting.

I agree. I also think that towards the middle to end of next week LP development is quite possible across the GoMx NW Carib Sea too. With potential for another renewed heavy rain threat then

It's very unusual to have oppressive humidity for a week to 10 days in late September

Really? When we get warm season cut-offs like this that stall and retrograde I feel like a week of muggy weather is pretty typical. Obviously spring closed lows aren't as humid given the cooler SSTs.

How do you think we get our September/early October hurricanes up here????

Really? When we get warm season cut-offs like this that stall and retrograde I feel like a week of muggy weather is pretty typical. Obviously spring closed lows aren't as humid given the cooler SSTs.

How do you think we get our September/early October hurricanes up here????

I dunno.I just don't recall a year like this where it's been so nasty humid for such a long period of time in late Sept/early Oct. Sure a day or 3..but not for so long. I love this stuff in the summer..but not now..unless of course we can can get a TC up here. :weenie:

I dunno.I just don't recall a year like this where it's been so nasty humid for such a long period of time in late Sept/early Oct. Sure a day or 3..but not for so long. I love this stuff in the summer..but not now..unless of course we can can get a TC up here. :weenie:

It doesn't happen every year but we can have very humid Septembers if we get stuck with a cut-off to the west and a deep southerly flow. September through mid October can be very wet and tropical with this kind of setup.

Though dew points will flirt with 70 next few days we will gradual shunt the oppressive stuff offshore.

It doesn't happen every year but we can have very humid Septembers if we get stuck with a cut-off to the west and a deep southerly flow. September through mid October can be very wet and tropical with this kind of setup.

Though dew points will flirt with 70 next few days we will gradual shunt the oppressive stuff offshore.

Just please deliver a nice crip cool to cold autumnal airmass for October 15th. Running in this crap is just brutal

It's just the misfortune of SNE to be stuck on the far east side of this cut-off and thus humid for day and days. Most of Upstate NY west of the HV is not bad now, primarily 50's to low 60's Td's. The midwest is nice and Autumnal. As my dad used to say ..that's the way the cookie crumbles. :)

It's very unusual to have oppressive humidity for a week to 10 days in late September

Archived