joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Prolonged rain potential, Sept 23-28th

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else think this might end up having more bark than bite for SNE?

certainly could be. it doesn't have every element you look for but certainly enough to raise concern - especially given how much rain has fallen over the northeast in the last 30-45 days.

gfs pwats get pretty darn high late in the week and then again early next week.

certainly could be. it doesn't have every element you look for but certainly enough to raise concern - especially given how much rain has fallen over the northeast in the last 30-45 days.

I think pwats had to with precipitable water or something.. but what exactly is it?

Two more..

What's in measured in? And what's usually the scale for it? 0-10.0?

well it's similar to looking at precip, so the scale is ~0 to whatever. could be cm, mm, in...but you'll also see kg/m2.

around here, it'll basically always be something like .05 to 2.5 winter to summer. you get up over 1.5 and that starts getting high depending on the season.

I was getting ready to post something on it. The surface low forecast to develop in the longer ranges to the south and a front hung up over your area is a prescription for heavy rain with flood potential. Especially with such a slow moving upper trough involved.

Anyone else think this might end up having more bark than bite for SNE?

Kev or Wes? Hmmmm

I can see even without every thing looking great for heavy rain that more then a few folks will be on top of this.

Wes, Used to Be, the premier QPF guy in the US, maybe the world took the time to post here. Ut oh.

The good thing is that the heaviest rain could stay just offshore. Usually if the upper low closes off that far south, someone get hammered but were still talking days in advance and the GFS and euro still could be wrong. Many of the ensembles keep the deep pw plume off the coast.

The good thing is that the heaviest rain could stay just offshore. Usually if the upper low closes off that far south, someone get hammered but were still talking days in advance and the GFS and euro still could be wrong. Many of the ensembles keep the deep pw plume off the coast.

Or it could hammer us

I saw that too. I also saw the euro precip probs, and they are bullish from the Delmarva through SNE Friday and Saturday, but back off later in the weekend before increasing some more next week.

Lol, I haven't been in New England's region in a while and was wondering if anyone was thinking about flooding...

Yeah, I think it's an interesting synoptic general look, no doubt! Details details details will dictate what comes of it - such as axis placement and so forth. Anytime we have a prolonged -2SD negative anomaly in the mid levels parked over ~ WV and have days of S flow potential along and just off the Eastern Seaboad, there are options for interesting weather. Flood, Bahama bombers.... or, sometimes in that set up you get a the Bahama blue skies with a quasi-tropical sounding transport originating deep in the SW Atlantic Basin. Getting kind of late for that though - usually that's a late July to early September thing. In any event, could see S-N training rains where conveyor sets up.

"Weather" that is off-shore or inland is too soon to tell for certain.

Lol, I haven't been in New England's region in a while and was wondering if anyone was thinking about flooding...

Yeah, I think it's an interesting synoptic general look, no doubt! Details details details will dictate what comes of it - such as axis placement and so forth. Anytime we have a prolonged -2SD negative anomaly in the mid levels parked over ~ WV and have days of S flow potential along and just off the Eastern Seaboad, there are options for interesting weather. Flood, Bahama bombers.... or, sometimes in that set up you get a the Bahama blue skies with a quasi-tropical sounding transport originating deep in the SW Atlantic Basin. Getting kind of late for that though - usually that's a late July to early September thing. In any event, could see S-N training rains where conveyor sets up.

"Weather" that is off-shore or inland is too soon to tell for certain.

When tip, Wes, and Scott are posting in mid Sept you know it could be big

Archived