joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Prolonged rain potential, Sept 23-28th

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the GFS has finally latched onto what the Euro has been showing. Oodles of rain.

Yeah it wasn't showing much earlier, but the key players such as a stalled boundary and strong ULL are there, so you have to watch the potential. Any weak low forming along the front may enhance the rain in a narrow area too.

Yeah it wasn't showing much earlier, but the key players such as a stalled boundary and strong ULL are there, so you have to watch the potential. Any weak low forming along the front may enhance the rain in a narrow area too.

Any analogs to this potential setup? For fall storms instead of winter

I don't know of any specific analogs to match this. Just something to keep an eye on I guess.

May '06 featured a similar UL over the OV / stalled surface front

However it looks like there was a little more blocking in that regime whereas this is more of a true cutoff from the jet ripping zonally over Canada.

Can't really ever forecast something of that magnitude, but there are some similarities. I remember it mostly for the fact that we didn't see the sun for a long period of time.

However it looks like there was a little more blocking in that regime whereas this is more of a true cutoff from the jet ripping zonally over Canada.

Can't really ever forecast something of that magnitude, but there are some similarities. I remember it mostly for the fact that we didn't see the sun for a long period of time.

May 2006 was also the biggest flooding of the Merrimack in a long time

Yeah there are some similarities with the biggest difference this time around to our northeast. It might not hang around as much either this time around if the flow becomes more nw over New England, but we'll see.

May 2006 was also the biggest flooding of the Merrimack in a long time

I'd guess this winds up more progressive with nothing forcing it to stay in place, and the rains a bit lighter. Still miserable though.

Yeah there are some similarities with the biggest difference this time around to our northeast. It might not hang around as much either this time around if the flow becomes more nw over New England, but we'll see.

agreed

The thing that might be different with this event, is that the front this time around hangs over SNE instead of eastern NY state..at least right now. I haven't looked at things like U/V wind anomalies (basically anomalous onshore flow from the east or south) or PWAT anomalies, but the pattern seems like a +RA event for someone. Euro has bouts of heavy rain from Thursday to Tuesday night.

The thing that might be different with this event, is that the front this time around hangs over SNE instead of eastern NY state..at least right now. I haven't looked at things like U/V wind anomalies (basically anomalous onshore flow from the east or south) or PWAT anomalies, but the pattern seems like a +RA event for someone. Euro has bouts of heavy rain from Thursday to Tuesday night.

already pretty decent on the ensembles - especially given the time frame.

Potential river flooding event like '06 you think?

Archived