Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
September/October General Banter

Psalm 148:8

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had an absolutely awesome experience; a female hummingbird got trapped on my screened porch, she was exhausted so I picked her up and held her till she could fly away. Such tiny, fast creatures!

Tasty too. Not much meat though. Better for an appetizer as it is hard to catch enough for a full meal.

Can someone explain to me while I'm still in an extreme drought despite getting over 4" from Lee ? Meanwhile, Atlanta is in a severe dought and the northern suburbs in a moderate drought even though those areas have got less rainfall than me all summer long !

The people who made that map wanted to make you angry.

Just had an absolutely awesome experience; a female hummingbird got trapped on my screened porch, she was exhausted so I picked her up and held her till she could fly away. Such tiny, fast creatures!

That's awesome. One flew in my garage last year and could not get out. Once it got tired, I was able to pick it up and take it outside. It was very cool!

Does anyone know if the leaves this fall season are expected to be dull or be bright colors? I thought there is a forumula but not even sure if that hold true? Maybe it is too early to tell right now?

I have heard a factor is the amount of rainfall we receive, but I'm not sure when the rainfall becomes a factor. ie, early summer, mid summer, late summer, early fall ect....

I have heard a factor is the amount of rainfall we receive, but I'm not sure when the rainfall becomes a factor. ie, early summer, mid summer, late summer, early fall ect....

Too much rain in Sep. and Oct. may actually be negative for bright leaf colors and dryness then may be better! Maybe it has do with the idea that drier wx often means more sunshine or cooler radiationally cooled mornings?? From my records in 2009:

We've probably been near a leaf peak for the last few days imho, likely near the average date. I'm calling the peak ~11/6/09. I don't yet know if we're past peak. The lack of rain and wind this past week is allowing for many of the pretty leaves to linger on the trees. However, my current assessment of the leaf peak here in ATL is that it has been medicore at best for this location (to this point). I'll continue to reassess as there sometimes are some beautiful later "bloomers". Of course mediocre at best is still nice....I think it is easy to get spoiled here. Regardless, the reason I'm saying mediocre at best is that I just haven't yet seen the brightness of colors on the same trees that were more impressive the prior three years (so far at least). Furthermore, some of those trees are slowly beginning to lose their leaves. I don't think it is a very dull peak, but it may be duller than average. At this point, I'll call it a C to D. I have 2006-8 in the A to B category...probably an A in at least 2007. 2005 is probably close to a D. I'll call 2004 a C or better.

But why would this year be kind of dull? I would have thought that the near freezes of mid OCT would have been helpful. My wild guess is that it is because of having way too much rain in SEP-OCT. Why do I say this? Check out what I had said in 2007:

"I'm considering the peak to have been better than average this year. I wasn't sure how it would be with the severe drought. However, it appears to me that it clearly didn't hurt the peak. I'm actually wondering if the drought somehow contributed to making it better or at least wasn't a negative factor??"

Note that 9/2004 and 7/2005 had the five tropical systems leading to heavy rain in ATL. Yet, we know 2005's colors were poor.

Actually that was the third time, last year one got in my house and a few years ago a male knocked his prospective mate on to my deck stunning her. They are truly amazing creatures!

Back in the 90s we caught a couple of male ruby throats within a week of each other. We were building an addition to the house and the windows weren't in yet. One flew in an got caught in a light. The other got caught in the garage and we had to use a net to get it. The thing that struck me most about them was seeing the rapid heartbeat. They are amazing creatures.

Back in the 90s we caught a couple of male ruby throats within a week of each other. We were building an addition to the house and the windows weren't in yet. One flew in an got caught in a light. The other got caught in the garage and we had to use a net to get it. The thing that struck me most about them was seeing the rapid heartbeat. They are amazing creatures.

They are a truly amazing creature, when you hold one you do mainly feel the heartbeat, they weigh nothing. Amazing to think of how far they will travel to winter.

Today, we remember those whose lives were lost during that dreadful day.  An event that should have had never taken place.  People cried, worried, and panicked as they saw the Twin Towers collapsed.  This, my friends, is 9/11 once more. God bless the fact that more lives were not lost as those near the buildings as they fell and on the planes also suffered the same tragic fate.  May we never witness such an event again in our lives.  

Take some time today to think about any loved ones you may have had or friends who were caught in that moment (if any).  Thankfully we, as a nation, were able to go with our daily lives long afterwards.  We may have had felt much despair but our spirit will always remain strong and we are proud as true Americans should be.  

God bless America.

Today, we remember those whose lives were lost during that dreadful day. An event that should have had never taken place. People cried, worried, and panicked as they saw the Twin Towers collapsed. This, my friends, is 9/11 once more. God bless the fact that more lives were not lost as those near the buildings as they fell and on the planes also suffered the same tragic fate. May we never witness such an event again in our lives.

Take some time today to think about any loved ones you may have had or friends who were caught in that moment (if any). Thankfully we, as a nation, were able to go with our daily lives long afterwards. We may have had felt much despair but our spirit will always remain strong and we are proud as true Americans should be.

God bless America.

Amen to that......

Found one of these horrific creatures on my trash can. I can't determine if this is a male or female Black Widow but I surely hope I wasn't tangling with the female (I wanna assume female since I saw the egg sacs). Nearly scared the daylights out of me. It had made its web in the inside of the handles of the trash can where you wouldn't think a spider would hide out. I came pretty close to having my left hand bit by it but managed to take it away right quick. Tore down its web, smashed the sacs, and killed the spider.

img4590u.jpg

img4590.png

Archived