• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
September/October General Banter

Psalm 148:8

So what do you guys think of this subscription thing? Honestly I'm probably not going to use it, unless it gets really bad here in the winter :lol:

Depends on how popular it gets this winter season...I might turn it on to see certain poster's PBPs on model runs when we have an influx of posters to negate the IMBY questions. Also, I will probably use it if I want to catch up on a 50 page thread that I missed out on...I can quickly identify the posters I care about and only have to read through a few pages

Seems logical in certain situations.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on how popular it gets this winter season...I might turn it on to see certain poster's PBPs on model runs when we have an influx of posters to negate the IMBY questions. Also, I will probably use it if I want to catch up on a 50 page thread that I missed out on...I can quickly identify the posters I care about and only have to read through a few pages

Seems logical in certain situations.

My needs are met with the ignore system. I am not an elitist.

Kudzu bugs... Do you have them??? They typically go into hiding around here when it's cloudy and cooler. When we get a sunny warm day they start flying and are everywhere. I have had them around here for a year or two and they came from nowhere it seems. They are not indigenous to the US and are spreading like wildfire. I found these guys underneath some rotten tree bark I peeled away....

This guy flew over while I was outside and landed on the office wall.... Pesky...

http://en.wikipedia....copta_cribraria

Edit : Also I have killed two big spiders in the last three days in my kitchen. I researched them and they are Rabid Wolf Spiders....

http://www.google.co...=og&sa=N&tab=wi

edit 2: Going to get a Pumpkin Spice Latte tonight, yummm

Kudzu bugs... Do you have them??? They typically go into hiding around here when it's cloudy and cooler. When we get a sunny warm day they start flying and are everywhere. I have had them around here for a year or two and they came from nowhere it seems. They are not indigenous to the US and are spreading like wildfire. I found these guys underneath some rotten tree bark I peeled away....

This guy flew over while I was outside and landed on the office wall.... Pesky...

http://en.wikipedia....copta_cribraria

Edit : Also I have killed two big spiders in the last three days in my kitchen. I researched them and they are Rabid Wolf Spiders....

http://www.google.co...=og&sa=N&tab=wi

edit 2: Going to get a Pumpkin Spice Latte tonight, yummm

I had one with breakfast on Sunday. Almost as good as an eggnog latte.

Decided to post this in the banter thread :) instead of the winter thread..

Well, seeing that we are 19 days into October and this thread was started in June..... I say close it and start our monthly discussion thread (non-obs) about the short-mid and long term models runs.

Personally I have no issues with the derailment of a thread. I know some do.. But I love a good laugh. Two each their own I guess.

I agree that some of the "mess" needs to be eradicated, and this thread was destined for disaster from the beginning.

However, it is what you make of it; by allowing Widre and the various teenagers that run amuck to bother you, your experience will be undesirable. Check out the "Weather Forecasting and Discussion Forum" if you're searching for more strict scientific discussion.

I will say that we are severely lacking in posters from Middle and Western Tennessee, and your observations would make a great addition.

Follow up to my post... Here are the stinky guys in hiding. During cooler weather they run for the trees and it's quite the infestation. This is how many of the trees look around here and it's really bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megacopta_cribraria

Whats so bad about 'em?

They stink really really bad when threatened which is basically all the time. They also like to fly around in large numbers when it warms up. Just a really pesky pest, and they are not indigenous to the US. They arrived a few years ago from Asia, I don't think anyone knows exactly how they got here but they are spreading fast across the southeast.

They stink really really bad when threatened which is basically all the time. They also like to fly around in large numbers when it warms up. Just a really pesky pest, and they are not indigenous to the US. They arrived a few years ago from Asia, I don't think anyone knows exactly how they got here but they are spreading fast across the southeast.

Did you send them to my house?tongue.gif It wasn't until you posted the first time about them that they showed here. I couldn't go out the front door they were swarming around it so much.

Anything that eats kudzu is good with me. Their taste for soybeans will become a big problem but if they could put a dent in some kudzu I'm fine with them. They are just another product of the globalized economy.

Are they working on the trees, or just hiding there? Do they endanger anything other than kudzu? No sign of them here, but saw talk of them on tv the other day. Can ya'll please keep them up there in Atlantaland :) I've got bugs out the wazoo down here, and don't need kudzu critters to go with them, unless they could fight the pine beetles, lol. I could go for pinebeetle/kudzu bug mutually assured destruction. And if bass like them, that'd be a bonus. T

Anything that eats kudzu is good with me. Their taste for soybeans will become a big problem but if they could put a dent in some kudzu I'm fine with them. They are just another product of the globalized economy.

This

I'm trying to figure out why I'm under a Frost Advisory and 15 miles to my west in Alabama they are under a Freeze Warning. Surely it can't be that much colder over just 15 miles.

:facepalm:

:weenie:

:thumbsup::hug:

Are they working on the trees, or just hiding there? Do they endanger anything other than kudzu? No sign of them here, but saw talk of them on tv the other day. Can ya'll please keep them up there in Atlantaland :) I've got bugs out the wazoo down here, and don't need kudzu critters to go with them, unless they could fight the pine beetles, lol. I could go for pinebeetle/kudzu bug mutually assured destruction. And if bass like them, that'd be a bonus. T

BY KEN MAGUIRE - THE NEW YORK TIMES SABILLASVILLE, Md. -- When they retreated from the Battle of Gettysburg, Confederate troops passed by the area that is now Richard Masser's orchards. If only the latest enemy - the brown marmorated stink bug - would follow suit.

Damage to fruit and vegetable crops from stink bugs in Middle Atlantic states has reached critical levels, according to a government report. That is in addition to the headaches the bugs are giving homeowners who cannot keep them out of their living rooms - especially the people who unwittingly step on them. When stink bugs are crushed or become irritated, they emit a pungent odor that is sometimes described as skunklike.

Suddenly, the bedbug has competition for pest of the year.

Farmers in Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and other states are battling a pest whose appetite has left dry bore holes in everything from apples and grapes to tomatoes and soybeans. Stink bugs have made their mark on 20 percent of the apple crop at Masser's Scenic View Orchards. Other farmers report far worse damage.

"They're taking money out of your pocket, just like a thief," said Masser, flicking stink bugs off his shirt and baseball cap as he overlooked his 325 acres, a few miles south of the Pennsylvania border. "We need to stop them."

Looks like the Kudzu bugs decided to invade my area recently. They are either flying around or landing all over my screened porch but only on the wooden white parts. My dad said that they are attracted to that color. Not sure why they would unless it makes them think it's a flower (like how bees are attracted to yellow).

Was going to post this in the Winter thread but Moved :)

Not to continue anyone's b**ch thread, but droves... I doubt that... And all this $hit over WM comments....LOLZ.

who gives a flying $hit. But to continue the b**ch fest, come on folks.

Use the freaking IM feature or take it to the banter thread. :thumbsup:

b**ch all you folks want to in here, or until Lookout stops it.

Sure, while engaging a few people in discussion, droves of people have left the forum. Why, because out of the posts of the last few pages, maybe three actually had to do with weather, the others were posts meant to derail someone under the disquise of a weather posting

Not to continue anyone's b**ch thread, but droves... I doubt that... And all this $hit over WM comments....LOLZ.

I just caught up on all the problems in the Obs thread. I'd rather not hear the b**ching at all but if I must then this would be the place not the obs thread or winter forecast thread. Some folks need to just lighten up a bit and everything will be fine. This place is going to hell in a hand basket and we have not even had our first snow threat yet. Our reputation of being the best region on the board is in jeopardy with the crap from the last few days, Lookout or another mod is going to get fed up and dish out some vacations and five post limits here soon.

Maybe I should have posted the link earlier as there seems to be some issues with reading comprehension for some :lol:

I honestly don't get why some folks have to get out of hand like that.  This is a forum meant for learning, discussing about the weather and engaging in FRIENDLY debates (if such comes up), and occasionally getting to joke around when it's the right time with other people; not to constantly argue, insult, or attack someone's opinion just because they felt it was wrong from their POV.  It's weather.  Nature will do what it wants to, no matter how badly someone wants it to be cold/snowy, warm/dry, or any other combo.  They can whine all they want and it will not make things go their way any more than if they didn't.  The fun of forecasting is to see how well you can do based on your ideas, data you used, etc., and whether or not you nailed it.  The possibilities of certain events are always exciting and even if you were wrong, at least you would be learning from your mistake(s), and the fact that most of the time, it was fun tracking said event especially during winter here in the Southeast.  Why can't some people just learn to not consistently bash on another poster in this forum, let alone this particular thread.  Honestly for the folks who can't act right, being mature wouldn't hurt you (as well as using common sense) and as someone like buckeyefan1 has said enough times: READ MORE, POST LESS. Simple.

BY KEN MAGUIRE - THE NEW YORK TIMES SABILLASVILLE, Md. -- When they retreated from the Battle of Gettysburg, Confederate troops passed by the area that is now Richard Masser's orchards. If only the latest enemy - the brown marmorated stink bug - would follow suit.

Damage to fruit and vegetable crops from stink bugs in Middle Atlantic states has reached critical levels, according to a government report. That is in addition to the headaches the bugs are giving homeowners who cannot keep them out of their living rooms - especially the people who unwittingly step on them. When stink bugs are crushed or become irritated, they emit a pungent odor that is sometimes described as skunklike.

Suddenly, the bedbug has competition for pest of the year.

Farmers in Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and other states are battling a pest whose appetite has left dry bore holes in everything from apples and grapes to tomatoes and soybeans. Stink bugs have made their mark on 20 percent of the apple crop at Masser's Scenic View Orchards. Other farmers report far worse damage.

"They're taking money out of your pocket, just like a thief," said Masser, flicking stink bugs off his shirt and baseball cap as he overlooked his 325 acres, a few miles south of the Pennsylvania border. "We need to stop them."

Thank you, sir, for the edification! Sounds like something I don't want to see :) Hope they don't introduce super fire ants to irradicate them. T

Edit: You know, in thinking about it, maybe it is the mass lack of exposure to DDT that is the reason for all the short comings of the present. Back then we didn't have bed bugs, or pine beetles, or gut cultures, or squirrel sized mosquitos...none of this invasive stuff....or air conditioning, and since the windows were open, no roaches, or spiders, ants, or moths, or silver fish.

Nothing like running around in an impenitrable fog of DDT to toughen you up...especially knowing there were 5 or 6 other urchens runnning around in there too...playing crash bumbers on foot or bike :)

Archived