• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
How did Irene rank with your expectations?

Baroclinic Zone

Grade  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Grade v Expectations

Well?

I'd have to give this a B in my book. I was honestly expecting a bit higher winds than I received. Peak gust to 50kts at TAN. Pretty impressive, nonetheless, and the highest I have seen in the 7 years I have lived here. Damage is moderate too. Great storm, one that will live in my memory, until the next one come along. Juju lives. :tomato:

A++

almost a million people without power in ct. I have seen who knows how many trees down, and to be able to walk through such an enormous surge and take pics so that it will be preserved in history is amazing, heading back down to see what the surge left behind.

I went with A-.

I will agree about the winds; although they were still pretty damn impressive. For my area (which I hate to be IMBY but I don't know how winds were in other areas) I thought winds would be much more sustained than they were or longer lasting...seemed like it was more gusty type, granted the gusts were of a longer duration than normal. Anyways though the amount of wind damage was incredibly impressive which we all knew would happen. Winds of this magnitude along with saturated grounds spells major trouble. It kind of makes me think...what would have happened had we saw a strong category 1 or weak category 2? Although you can probably argue that with several different statements.

As far as flooding/coastal flooding/surge goes...just spot on. We all knew this was the MAJOR threat with this system and we saw why today. Historic storm surge and coastal flooding across the cT coast with hundreds to thousands of people asked to evacuate and massive damage with homes swept away and people needing to be rescued. Inland flooding seems pretty major too and now we have major issues with some river flooding and even seeing some dam breaks.

Forecast track was pretty much spot on...incredible how the models and how the meteorologists handled this over the past several days. Tropical systems are probably the most difficult to predict around here and considering this one went against climo and past history it was pinpointed perfectly.

Rainfall totals were also pretty spot on...highest in the west with lesser amounts in the east and the range was also pretty perfect.

All in all definitely a storm to remember for many and one that impacted millions and millions of people.

It was pretty much what I expected for NH. I never bought into the extreme winds for the state, but obviously that doesn't mean 50mph+ gusts can't have a major impact.

On a whole, there will be many families greatly affected by the freshwater flooding and surge with many thousands w/o power. As others have said, had this stayed over water and raced north into C LI/CT as a cat 1 or 2 it would've been even uglier than it already was.

A-

Fell a little bit short in the rainfall department. We got 3.50" and I seriously thought we might be able to get closer to 5.00". Other than that, I think the storm performed pretty much up to my expectations. Winds really cranked up this morning and we had 2 gusts around 11:00AM that I seriously think came close to 60mph.

Overall, no complaints on the modelling, forecasting, or the eventual outcome.

I gave it an A-. I know that there has been destructive flooding in W. New England, but the media hype machine was in overdrive for this thing being apocalyptic in NYC and the population centers in general. I thought it was hype and it more or less lived up to that expectation.

Largely a bust when you look at the warnings out from an objective level...for Southern CT they had hurricane warnings and 6-12 inches of rain (which was ludicrous given that we were going to be on the east side (most of the CT coast)...hurricane warning did not even come close to verifying and rainfall was closer to 4-5 inches for most. Yes, the coast got hammered with surge, but outside of that, a bust given the hype.

For NYC, even worse hype and bust given the expectations....

I can't grade the hurricane - tropical storm. How do you score it? Like platform diving? Great form but too big a splash? Or like figure skating? Was too weak in the spin so got too few rotations for its salchow (jump) too early in the program?

The storm is going to do what the storm is going to do. It's not its fault that we don't understand the dynamics well enough or that some informational sources worship hype over other factors. The hyped up coverage with the cat 4 build up is a mega fail - what happens with the next one? The people who got nailed with this one will certainly heed warnings but the people who didn't get hit as badly? I wonder how many won't pay much attention to the next hypefest and how much higher the death tolls might be because of that.

Since I had tempered my expectations, the results get an A- from me. NNE rainfall met/exceeded forecasts and winds slightly underperformed. Those who were making Floyd comparisons were very close, despite the much more westerly track of Irene. My general area got the same winds and 1" more rain from Floyd, but the heavier rains to the west meant the local rivers had a much higher peak flow from Irene, 50% more cfs on the Sandy and 70% more for the Carrabasset. (Antecedent rain was similar for both events.)

Those people who put D's and F's had some unrealistic expectations with this storm imo.

I'll bet some of them were to the left of the track and just didn't realize how little wind you get in that quad, at this latitude.

Obviously those folks didn't flood......I know the kid from NW CT was dissapointed...without looking, I'm sure he gave it an F....not sure what he expected to the left of left of the track.

I'll bet some of them were to the left of the track and just didn't realize how little wind you get in that quad, at this latitude.

Obviously those folks didn't flood......I know the kid from NW CT was dissapointed...without looking, I'm sure he gave it an F....not sure what he expected to the left of left of the track.

He gave it a C-

Wow...I'm shocked....he seemed really disenchanted with the turn of events...he must have reevaluated after he sobered up lol.

:lol:

No complaints from me. Wished the winds were a tad higher imby, that's all. I think I could do without a 100mph real 'cane hitting us. That would set out infrastructure back decades. The stuff I am seeing, hearing from out W and N is unreal.

I give it a D. I predicted on this site gusts to 57 at UUU...it topped out at 55...But I lost power and had absolutely no cell service or land lines and that's why my grade is so low....I'm at a hotel across Narragansett Bay as I speak typing this.

If I'm gonna lose power, give me a full-fledged hurricane....not for 55 MPH winds...WTF??? The power system obviously needs an update. We get winds like this every few years. Floyd had the same winds and it didn't result in any power loss.

The storm surge really under-performed here as well...overwash yes, but no damage.

I've spent the last 20 minutes in this thread reading about region-wide damage....my area had such little rain perhaps this is why damage was so minimal with lack of rainfall failing to bring down the strongest gusts. By minimal...other than some large branches, and a couple snapped larger trees, damage in Newport was virtually non-existent.

I give it a D. I predicted on this site gusts to 57 at UUU...it topped out at 55...But I lost power and had absolutely no cell service or land lines and that's why my grade is so low....I'm at a hotel across Narragansett Bay as I speak typing this.

If I'm gonna lose power, give me a full-fledged hurricane....not for 55 MPH winds...WTF??? The power system obviously needs an update. We get winds like this every few years. Floyd had the same winds and it didn't result in any power loss.

The storm surge really under-performed here as well...overwash yes, but no damage.

I don't know how NHC can classify this at the strength they did at landfall. To me it was a 50-60mph storm tops. BUT it did tremendous damage and people better realize a true 80-100 will ruin us.

Archived