• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Hurricane Irene - Discussion Part II

Baroclinic Zone

Re: the cyclone's intensity if and when it reaches New England... Yep, it's highly linked to its forward speed once it crosses 35N. Right now, it's modeled to move relatively slowly for a 'cane in this region, but I'm wondering if the models might start speeding it up and bringing it more in line with climo. We have a couple of days.

I'd definitely prefer something ripping up the coast, that's for sure. I think it will speed up faster than currently modeled but probably not in line with climo. I'd say that an anomalously slow system would portend to epic rainfall but I guess that doesn't have to be the case. The rainfall with Belle was relatively unimpressive.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd definitely prefer something ripping up the coast, that's for sure. I think it will speed up faster than currently modeled but probably not in line with climo. I'd say that an anomalously slow system would portend to epic rainfall but I guess that doesn't have to be the case. The rainfall with Belle was relatively unimpressive.

Epic rain is probably one of my biggest concerns right now in CT.

Our power grid is built 10X stronger than back then. Also, we could argue that "loose" trees/ power lines were knocked down during the ice storm.

I work for northeast utilities/ transmission structures are designed for 100 mph winds.

This storm however, will be up there with power outages if it stays on current track, no doubt. Just look at the wind storm of Feb 2010 in NH!

I think a lot of stuff could have loosened up in two and a half years.

both

The reason I ask is that this area got 6" or so in a night from the remnants of Kyle in a night ('08 I think) and there was no river flooding. I suppose it all has to do with the amount of rain and river conditions prior to the storm, though.

if we all donate $5 we can get you on a flight back here. LOL.

Maybe Scott is the hurricane jinx that has plagued us for 20 years and 5 days. Please keep him away if that's the case.

I joked about this 5 months ago when we planned this. I sh*t you not.

Well if you get hit, I'll enjoy the obs from here. It's all good. Having a blast so far and Yosemite and SFO to come. No need to sacrifice a marriage to weenie out during a cane..lol. Although I would not disagree if she wanted to get back.

let's put it this way... Connecticut and the power company were unable to really handle the damage from 6 hours of 50-60 knot gusts in some lower Fairfield County towns in the March 2010 noreaster. Power outages for 6 days and roads closed in Greenwich for days.

And the power companies were working there azzes of trust me, my wifes family who live about 3 miles north of rte 1 in the back country had no power for 7 days. That area is filled with massive maples, ash and oak.........the area from Greewich - stamford-darien and even into Norwalk and Westport were just decimated. Trees down everywhere. Since then the power companies have truly done a ton of pruning along roadways.....but its a losing battle if something like Irene comes through as modeled, forget about it.

The reason I ask is that this area got 6" or so in a night from the remnants of Kyle in a night ('08 I think) and there was no river flooding. I suppose it all has to do with the amount of rain and river conditions prior to the storm, though.

Dom, rivers are pretty well above the Median but not insanely so, but more rain Friday and then....

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ct/nwis/current/?type=flow

Archived