joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irene - Discussion Part II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing that seems to be the wild card is the little trough in the se. If that is somehow strong enough to capture the storm and move it NW, then a CT landfall could happen. Otherwise the troughs lifting out, at least imo, aren't gonna do much unless the ridge really builds to our east. It's not a classic SNE cane setup so it's difficult to see what could happen.

The slow movement and lack of huge trough is definitely making this unique. But we'll have to see a pretty awful bust in the models for this to completely whiff SE with the consensus being where it is at the moment. A 100 mile shift east in consensus puts this over the Cape. If we see the consensus shift E 50/75 miles by tomorrow night, then I think the chances of a whiff increase substantially.

Its bizarre because we have a ridge being more of a factor than a usual trough to our west.

someone go down to RUGGLES infront of the mansions at salve regina sunday .....take some pics ...Damn damn damn that i'm missing this....25 foot breakers will happen there...it's the best big wave spot on the east coast bar none

Whats Ruffles? Bar?

Usually, I'll go to Narragansett Beach, or Galilee for storms. East Matunuk is closest but it gets flooded quickest, and the cops don't let you near it.

That is sick... a 1 in 100 year earthquake in DC and you're going to try to intercept another natural disaster?????

Hah, no kidding. Earthquake was really incredible today. Definitely one of the coolest events I've ever witnessed. And actually sort of scary at the moment. Thought at first it was a plane crash or bomb.

Get Davey working, sad about TB's Mom. Dave will have lots of repair work for his rich clients if this goes down.

It is sad about TB's mom. Houses down WH will be fine - most have made it through a few hurricanes or two - new construction though is another story.

We can form our own weenie version of curb......who acts as Susie? Honestly these almost always whiff but I don't see how this one does. If anything it runs west of you by 75 miles.

Usually by now we have a few more wide right outliers...maybe that comes tonight we'll see? It's about that time when models would better grasp the strength of the trough.

The thing that seems to be the wild card is the little trough in the se. If that is somehow strong enough to capture the storm and move it NW, then a CT landfall could happen. Otherwise the troughs lifting out, at least imo, aren't gonna do much unless the ridge really builds to our east. It's not a classic SNE cane setup so it's difficult to see what could happen.

Yep.

they don't shift the forecast track between 5pm and 8pm. There was a shift between 11am and 5pm.

Yeah you're right shift occured between the two main points.

The slow movement and lack of huge trough is definitely making this unique. But we'll have to see a pretty awful bust in the models for this to completely whiff SE with the consensus being where it is at the moment. A 100 mile shift east in consensus puts this over the Cape. If we see the consensus shift E 50/75 miles by tomorrow night, then I think the chances of a whiff increase substantially.

Its bizarre because we have a ridge being more of a factor than a usual trough to our west.

A BM track would be a huge bust, but day 5 has some pretty large erros with it. When I saw the 12z and 18z models not budge too much...it at least stabilized things. I mean look how tightly clustered the models are up until HSE area or so. That's good agreement right there. After that, there seems to be two camps (as there always seems to be at this range). The further west camp near NYC and the tracks that go near the Cape area..or at least close to it. It's interesting how the euro keeps it near NYC, it did move a bit east from 00z. Maybe an Edna type deal is in store...or perhaps the 1944 analog right now. If the 00z and 12z runs hold steady more or less, we can probably throw out the BM worries.

A BM track would be a huge bust, but day 5 has some pretty large erros with it. When I saw the 12z and 18z models not budge too much...it at least stabilized things. I mean look how tightly clustered the models are up until HSE area or so. That's good agreement right there. After that, there seems to be two camps (as there always seems to be at this range). The further west camp near NYC and the tracks that go near the Cape area..or at least close to it. It's interesting how the euro keeps it near NYC, it did move a bit east from 00z. Maybe an Edna type deal is in store...or perhaps the 1944 analog right now. If the 00z and 12z runs hold steady more or less, we can probably throw out the BM worries.

Yeah I agree with this post. I think the 00z runs will be very interesting with which camp the runs fall into the GFDL/Euro/HWRF/NHC camp brushing the coast or the other track that's over SE Mass or RI.

post-40-0-99073800-1314148210.png

I have already thrown it out...guitar.gif

Yeah I agree with this post. I think the 00z runs will be very interesting with which camp the runs fall into the GFDL/Euro/HWRF/NHC camp brushing the coast or the other track that's over SE Mass or RI.

Part of me wants to see it pretty far west at this stage, because previous storms have shown that eastward movement. I know sample size is small so maybe that can be thrown out, but you know what I mean. Earlier this morning I was nervous of something near or off ACK. I still am to a point, but to see the models sort of hold still is a good thing for those that want some carnage.

Either way, be it wind or rain, I think we can say this will probably have a substantial impact on SNE.

Archived