joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irene - Discussion Part II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me too, and the Euro was into Florida not long ago and has been consistently left of consensus while shifting east each run to some degree.

Figured a TC would bring you out of hiding..lol.

Anyways it's 5 days out so I suppose nothing is off the table, just looked suspect to me.

The whole 500mb pattern is also not classic at all which is weird to me as well, but I suppose the sample size of SNE canes is rather small.

Anyways it's 5 days out so I suppose nothing is off the table, just looked suspect to me.

The whole 500mb pattern is also not classic at all which is weird to me as well, but I suppose the sample size of SNE canes is rather small.

Norcross pointed out the reason why it comes north and not NE and out.

He said the 2nd trough(over Alaska now) has shifted west on almost all of the modelling which in turn brings Irene much farther north and west than it would if the trough was further east of the Lakes...he also pointed out that the trough is lifting out more to the north than it is to the NE which again allows a farther west track

Rare to see very few way east outliers. They'd have to be botching the synoptics pretty badly for this to be a wide miss...going to be a squeaker or a real problem.

That animated graphic shows how significant the errors have been in the forecast path all along. Even at a few days the NHC track has been too far SW and now west apparently. Hard to think that trend suddenly reverses but maybe it does?

Norcross pointed out the reason why it comes north and not NE and out.

He said the 2nd trough(over Alaska now) has shifted west on almost all of the modelling which in turn brings Irene much farther north and west than it would if the trough was further east of the Lakes...he also pointed out that the trough is lifting out more to the north than it is to the NE which again allows a farther west track

Eh, the trend has been for models to be too weak with nrn tier troughing as well, so that might cast some doubt on that argument. It is possible the wrn Atlantic ridge ends up a little stronger and the trough in the se tries to capture the storm and shove it into NYC, but I just don't know about that.

Eh, the trend has been for models to be too weak with nrn tier troughing as well, so that might cast some doubt on that argument. It is possible the wrn Atlantic ridge ends up a little stronger and the trough in the se tries to capture the storm and shove it into NYC, but I just don't know about that.

I dunno. I think the whole key to this and it's track up our way is that 2nd trough..If it's west over the western lakes..it comes up into SNE..if it shifts east over the next 2 days then we deal with a sideswipe

If this hits while I'm gone...it might as well go for the goal and pull a tip LI express. None of this NYC or BM crap.

I still owe you dinner. This one has huge potential!

When I'm living in your basement in a week after this storm blows my roof off we'll be even. We'll be like the hurricane family in Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Bob, cone looks like it's shifting east still down to the south though over the carolinas and the guess track is nudging east. Particularly look south of the outer banks, they hopped it east a decent amount down that way while leaving the cone more intact up here.

Eyewall just about closed now..Getting ready to explode tonite

i have my doubts about her exploding till she gets about a hundred or so more miles NW of hispanola.....Because until then she won't get a nice deep southerly inflow channel that isn't downsloping off mountains to south.

i think she putz's around near 965 tonite then sometime tommorrow around noon BOOM!

perhaps i'm wrong but i'm just basing this on getting some nice moist southerly inflow....don't think it will explode sucking in down sloping winds off 8000's foot mountains...but it's far enough off shore to sustain itself and a bit more

I keep telling folks that it could be that long and they just don't believe me.

Not imby, but some folks.

Agreed. We lose trees like crazy around these parts with G50-60 mph from a 5 min downburst. A low end cat 1 cane coming in at the coast say in Ri with 40-50G60-70mph for 4-7 hours in the interior would be ice-storm level in terms of outages for much of new england. It's a big deal,

Anybody else gonna be in RI for the storm? I live in Cumberland.. but gonna be in Wakefield. Girlfriend lives less then a mile from East Matunuk. Havent decided if were gonna stay there or go to the Cape..... Gonna be a very fun Sunday.

someone go down to RUGGLES infront of the mansions at salve regina sunday .....take some pics ...Damn damn damn that i'm missing this....25 foot breakers will happen there...it's the best big wave spot on the east coast bar none

Agreed. We lose trees like crazy around these parts with G50-60 mph from a 5 min downburst. A low end cat 1 cane coming in at the coast say in Ri with 40-50G60-70mph for 4-7 hours in the interior would be ice-storm level in terms of outages for much of new england. It's a big deal,

Yeah I was thinking that yesterday...with the foliage on the trees, prolonged >50 kts would be a huge problem...combined with a lot of rain for softer ground.

Archived