joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irene - Discussion Part II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I was thinking that yesterday...with the foliage on the trees, prolonged >50 kts would be a huge problem...combined with a lot of rain for softer ground.

Yep, I guess though the strongest winds are in the areas with the least QPF, does not look like one of those ET storms where the winds are sicker after passage.

Yep, I guess though the strongest winds are in the areas with the least QPF, does not look like one of those ET storms where the winds are sicker after passage.

Probably would have a very tight wind field on the west side, since it doesn't really go ET...but 50-60mph winds will do a number on trees. Nature's tree trimming.

Anybody else gonna be in RI for the storm? I live in Cumberland.. but gonna be in Wakefield. Girlfriend lives less then a mile from East Matunuk. Havent decided if were gonna stay there or go to the Cape..... Gonna be a very fun Sunday.

Will be moving lots of lawn furniture and umbrellas on Sat/Sun on Watch Hill. Then to Ashaway for the storm.

If this hits while I'm gone...it might as well go for the goal and pull a tip LI express. None of this NYC or BM crap.

I dunno... I think a NYC hit would be mildly interesting. A nice hurricane hitting the Big Apple would make for some fun news stories.

But then again, everyone here is saying they don't want damage problems but secretly everyone wants this to plow into their backyards with CAT 1 or 2 wind, lol.

Agreed. We lose trees like crazy around these parts with G50-60 mph from a 5 min downburst. A low end cat 1 cane coming in at the coast say in Ri with 40-50G60-70mph for 4-7 hours in the interior would be ice-storm level in terms of outages for much of new england. It's a big deal,

+ 1

I'd probably lean toward a SE MA/Cape landfall at the moment, but if we can make it to tomorrow night with some western LI tracks, then we might have a shot at a RI/E CT landfall.

I thought maybe near or just se of ACK this morning, but that area from ACK to PYM at the moment would probably be in the zone right now. Maybe if the euro has some value to it, we might see the HVN type deal. Heck even further east is on the deck too.

When I'm living in your basement in a week after this storm blows my roof off we'll be even. We'll be like the hurricane family in Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Bob, cone looks like it's shifting east still down to the south though over the carolinas and the guess track is nudging east. Particularly look south of the outer banks, they hopped it east a decent amount down that way while leaving the cone more intact up here.

We can form our own weenie version of curb......who acts as Susie? Honestly these almost always whiff but I don't see how this one does. If anything it runs west of you by 75 miles.

The thing that seems to be the wild card is the little trough in the se. If that is somehow strong enough to capture the storm and move it NW, then a CT landfall could happen. Otherwise the troughs lifting out, at least imo, aren't gonna do much unless the ridge really builds to our east. It's not a classic SNE cane setup so it's difficult to see what could happen.

I thought maybe near or just se of ACK this morning, but that area from ACK to PYM at the moment would probably be in the zone right now. Maybe if the euro has some value to it, we might see the HVN type deal. Heck even further east is on the deck too.

Do we dare break the seasonal trend? Between Tauton and ACK FTW

Archived