CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
iCyclone Chase: IRENE

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome map-- thanks, Phil!

I feel like I would be cool with that if it verified, because MHX is square in the left eyewall. But the rightward end is of course concerning. Will it continue?

That's the million dollar question of course... the model consensus has definitively shifted slightly to the right, but I'm still banking on the landfall location of the ECWMF. Some have mentioned that the system jogged eastward the last couple of passes, and believe it or not the 00z ECWMF had this rightward jog up to 12z...

and just now, the latest recon indicates the storm jogged a bit west between the last recon observation... these are just wobbles of the inner eyewall as it starts to collapse.

early 06z guidance...I like the LI idea better....but we still cannot rule out big impact for NC...esp since the storm will be considerably stronger when its down there..so the left eyewall might produce some great conditions....we saw you score jackpot in Hurricane Dolly in Texas on the W semi-circle..though that storm did not have the latitude speed of this one.

06zatcfearlyinvest2best.gif

Go big or go home devilsmiley.gif

Given the bias of too far west for models in this time range, I think going big will be LI...but I could be wrong...maybe NC sees worse where he can get to. HSE is not accessible from what I have heard, so the mainland will have to do. I think LI or even RI/SE MA might be the best spot. If he could get to HSE, then that is the primo spot, but nobody will be allowed there.

Given the bias of too far west for models in this time range, I think going big will be LI...but I could be wrong...maybe NC sees worse where he can get to. HSE is not accessible from what I have heard, so the mainland will have to do. I think LI or even RI/SE MA might be the best spot. If he could get to HSE, then that is the primo spot, but nobody will be allowed there.

Nor would you want to be in HSE... Isabel took out chunks of the Outer Banks in that area... and with Irene looming to be just as big you can bet we will see this image below be replayed in the days to come. Again I think I agree with you that NC has a slightly bigger risk, but the reward in terms of intensity is so much greater in my opinion.

breach10-14[4]-halminski.jpg

breach10-14[3]-halminski.jpg

So... My friend, Keith, and I have been driving all night and we've now safely passed the I95 metro cluster. It's daybreak and we're approaching Richmond, VA.

My emotions have been a bit up and down all night. The 00Z GFS was a bit discouraging for those of use hunting for a red-meat Carolina landfall. But then I keep reminding myself that North Carolina's loss is Long Island's gain, and it would be ultra-cool to see a solid cyclone sail headlong into the latter. And Keith, being a lifelong Islander, is particularly keen to history happening in his backyard.

There is a chance that we're going to get down to Morehead City, take a 6-hour nap, and then do an about-face and go right back up the I95. That sounds like a sucky prospect, but the bottom line is that we're playing this safe: we don't want to miss a big NC hit, so we decided it's better to be safe than sorry-- and if it looks like it'll be a miss down here, we have plenty of time to get back up to Long Island. The only downside is the 20 hours in the car and a lot of wasted gas. But whatevz-- we're cool with it.

I just talked to Adam ad he gave me a pep talk. He warned me not to overreact to the 00Z GFS, and he still thinks MHX is where the jackpot is-- not Long Island.

So that's the story.

So... My friend, Keith, and I have been driving all night and we've now safely passed the I95 metro cluster. It's daybreak and we're approaching Richmond, VA.

My emotions have been a bit up and down all night. The 00Z GFS was a bit discouraging for those of use hunting for a red-meat Carolina landfall. But then I keep reminding myself that North Carolina's loss is Long Island's gain, and it would be ultra-cool to see a solid cyclone sail headlong into the latter. And Keith, being a lifelong Islander, is particularly keen to history happening in his backyard.

There is a chance that we're going to get down to Morehead City, take a 6-hour nap, and then do an about-face and go right back up the I95. That sounds like a sucky prospect, but the bottom line is that we're playing this safe: we don't want to miss a big NC hit, so we decided it's better to be safe than sorry-- and if it looks like it'll be a miss down here, we have plenty of time to get back up to Long Island. The only downside is the 20 hours in the car and a lot of wasted gas. But whatevz-- we're cool with it.

I just talked to Adam ad he gave me a pep talk. He warned me not to overreact to the 00Z GFS, and he still thinks MHX is where the jackpot is-- not Long Island.

So that's the story.

Here's something to brighten up your morning, Josh, the 6z GFS came in 15-20 miles west of the 0z run :)

119B should be your exit, 264/795 east, heard they have tweaked the traffic lights on 70 as you head east, so expect the timing to be good. Have fun man!

Yep, that's totally the route we're taking! In fact, just a half hour ago I was re-reading your posts from yesterday Re: this.

Think we'll get in OK? I called the hotel again, and they said it's all cool-- no problems getting in.

P.S. You excited for the 'cane? You riding it out in Greenville?

Yep, that's totally the route we're taking! In fact, just a half hour ago I was re-reading your posts from yesterday Re: this.

Think we'll get in OK? I called the hotel again, and they said it's all cool-- no problems getting in.

P.S. You excited for the 'cane? You riding it out in Greenville?

There shouldn't be any problems getting in...the only place they put roadblocks that I've ever seen are on the bridges to the barrier island. That said, there is a mandatory evacuation for visitors and non-residents for Carteret County...I don't think they enforce it very tightly but it has been a long time since I lived there.

So that's the story.

Cool update, Adam is right ;)

FYI: Starting at 1 p.m. Friday, timing of traffic signals on U.S. 70 in Carteret, Craven and Lenoir counties; N.C. 58 in Emerald Isle; and N.C. 24 in Cape Carteret will favor movement of traffic on the main roads away from the coast, according to a DOT release. (Note: Lenoir County begins about 15 miles east of Goldsboro.)

Also, here's a link to NC DOT's mobile website for up-to-date traffic info: http://www.ncdot.gov/m/#traffic/default.html

Archived