• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
iCyclone Chase: IRENE

Josh, I need to ask a question. I would have sent it PM or email, but I know how unlikely it is that you'd see anything sent that way.

Here is an example of a GRL3 radar image with a vis sat overlay:

post-6546-0-17920100-1314367396.png

I'm not sure why parts of Irene are blacked out, but that is done consistently. Maybe some copyright issues or something... Anyway, do you like the radar imagery with the satellite overlay included, or should I turn that feature off?

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, what's up, guys? I'm on the plane headed to JFK-- will land at 12:45 am, where my bud from high school is picking me up. We're going to hit the road immediately and try to get past the I95 metro cluster before daybreak. Our desire is to get to MHX by 9 am or so.

Thanks to Scott, Dunkman, WeatherWarrior, and WeatherNC for the navigation tips-- they are greatly appreciated!

:(

The only slow part of your trip is going to be in Kinston. Kinston might be a good place to get supplies (gas, water and such). The next stores are in New Bern (US 17 but this highway is hell to navigate) and east of New Bern in James City (better access and Food Loin first light after bridge) but supplies may be limited (ie water and such).

A friend in New Bern says stores are being stripped and gas stations have long lines.

The only slow part of your trip is going to be in Kinston. Kinston might be a good place to get supplies (gas, water and such). The next stores are in New Bern (US 17 but this highway is hell to navigate) and east of New Bern in James City (better access and Food Loin first light after bridge) but supplies may be limited (ie water and such).

A friend in New Bern says stores are being stripped and gas stations have long lines.

Any idea what surge will be like around the roads leading into/out of Morehead City ahead of the storm?

Say Irene tracks just far enough to the E that Josh is gonna miss the western eyewall and needs to leave and reposition overnight.

Chance that access out the city is impacted at all?

Any idea what surge will be like around the roads leading into/out of Morehead City ahead of the storm?

Say Irene tracks just far enough to the E that Josh is gonna miss the western eyewall and needs to leave and reposition overnight.

Most likely not if the rainfall on radar is accurate, the thing is that area is all 1-2 ft above sea level and once the tide comes up into all the coastal marshes all the rain has nowhere to drain and Hwy 70 becomes a 2-3 ft deep lake. especially once you get towards Havelock east. Those roads flood bad after slow moving thunderstorms much less the 15+" of rain they are looking to get in the next 24 hrs.

Most of that area along 70 east of New Bern is feet above sea level in places (picture swamps). When the winds start to come out of the N or NE the Pamlico sound is going to move south into the Neuse River basin and flood New Bern, Havelock and northern reaches of Morehead City. Forecasts are 8-10' from what i read this morning from mhc. Also, the Neuse River will have fresh water flooding that will be blocked by the Pamlico flooding and this will compound flooding issues especially NW of New Bern. But after the N - NE wind subsides, pamlico subsides the flooding will receed quickly by Sunday.

In wondering if Oriental might be a better place to see the storm?

Most of that area along 70 east of New Bern is feet above sea level in places (picture swamps). When the winds start to come out of the N or NE the Pamlico sound is going to move south into the Neuse River basin and flood New Bern, Havelock and northern reaches of Morehead City. Forecasts are 8-10' from what i read this morning from mhc. Also, the Neuse River will have fresh water flooding that will be blocked by the Pamlico flooding and this will compound flooding issues especially NW of New Bern. But after the N - NE wind subsides, pamlico subsides the flooding will receed quickly by Sunday.

They do have that kickass hotel right on the waterfront with the seawall and pier there just up from the docks and winds would be in right off the sound in fact that area would most likely get some of the highest wind obs......water rise would be not so bad but I doubt that small hotel will be open....

http://orientalmarina.com/

We're on the 70, about 40 mi from Morehead City. The sky is grey, and we're starting to notice that most of the traffic is going the other way.

I'm frankly delighted with the latest advisory. OK, the intensity is a small letdown, but the track is awesome, with the 24-hr position so close to us, we'd probably be in the cyclone's eye. If that 360 heading can just persist another couple of advisories, the storm's going to have to veer awfully sharply to miss us.

Feeling kind of good about the setup right now-- just wish the cyclone was a little more organized.

That's what I was thinking as well, I think Oriental would fare better from a surge perspective than other places that have been mentioned.

I was kinda hoping you'd run into another roving gang of angry lesbian cops just to add to the drama and tension.

[25/08/2011 09:53:43 p.m.] Jorge Gonzalez: Louisiana law enforcement officials were sent to MHX to keep chaser from going in

[25/08/2011 09:54:08 p.m.] Josh Morgerman: Ha ha, those harsh louisana lesbian cops.

Josh - Heads up around the US Marine Corps facilities - some of the roads to and through Camp Lejune and Cherry Point (W and NW of Morehead City) are often closed to the public, but may appear as regular state highways on GPS and maps.

I know Route 172 through Camp Lejune is closed to through traffic, but may appear open on some GPS units. Google Maps is updated and routes around the base.

Josh - Heads up around the US Marine Corps facilities - some of the roads to and through Camp Lejune and Cherry Point (W and NW of Morehead City) are often closed to the public, but may appear as regular state highways on GPS and maps.

I know Route 172 through Camp Lejune is closed to through traffic, but may appear open on some GPS units. Google Maps is updated and routes around the base.

this is good info, but josh knows how to deal with sassy marines...

Just as we were checking in, we got our first rainband: the wind moaned through the front entrance of the hotel, and there was suddenly a burst of wind and rain-- our of nowhere.

Quick question: what's the closest official weather station to Morehead City? I want to calibrate my barometers.

Probably Beaufort, the airport... Posted this in the live thread, think we about to see a 6-12 hr period of strethening, entire SW side of the storm was missing this morning, but the last couple frames are telling, check out the old inner core being absorbed, and looks close to closing off again. Yeah, I am ready, about to go mow the backyard, try to find a BBQ joint if you can, if one is open. It is not ketchup based like up north

http://forecast.weather.gov/obslocal.php?warnzone=NCZ095&local_place=Newport+NC&zoneid=EDT&offset=14400

last24hrs.gif

Just as we were checking in, we got our first rainband: the wind moaned through the front entrance of the hotel, and there was suddenly a burst of wind and rain-- our of nowhere.

Quick question: what's the closest official weather station to Morehead City? I want to calibrate my barometers.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/mhx/obs.php

Archived