Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
iCyclone Chase: IRENE

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Intense rain band just moved through Morehead City: torrential rains, gusty winds, and ragged, fast-moving low clouds. The rain thundered on the roof of the Walmart as we got some last-minute supplies. The gas station canopy whistled in the wind as we topped off our tank.

If we can put in requests, I know the science comes first, but gas station canopy videos are always good. The Citgo by the house had the canopy over the island topple in a storm 3 years ago, wish I could have seen it happen.

The NHC forecasts Irene's position to be 33.4N 77.1W at 5AM EDT. That position is 81nm/94sm from Beaufort, at a vector of 197 degrees. If Irene's motion is then 17 degrees (NNE) at 14kts (currently 12kts), then the center of Irene's eye would be directly over Beaufort at 10:47AM EDT.

Given that Irene is not likely to be moving in such an easterly direction, you may end up in the RFQ/eastern eyewall, Josh. :lmao:

If there is one. :axe:

[edit] Actually, I guess 17 degrees could easily be seen, and throw in a wobble one way or another and.... who knows?

Wow, sounds like you got a sweet setup there Josh. Hopefully the storm is solid on the NW side or the center actually tracks over you. I was getting nervous for just a scrape, but it looks like we saved enough W job this morning to feel better about a solid hit in E NC.

Yeah, it's really a perfect setup, and I think we might be very close to the landfall point. We're now 8 mi E of our original position in Morehead City. Our elevation here: 7 ft. :D

If we can put in requests, I know the science comes first, but gas station canopy videos are always good. The Citgo by the house had the canopy over the island topple in a storm 3 years ago, wish I could have seen it happen.

Yeah, they're good props-- a gas station canopy failure always looks more impressive than it really is.

good luck and be safe! :wub:

:wub: Thank you, Diane.

Good luck Josh!,

Thanks, honey. :)

Local TV reports are showing pretty good gusts in Morehead...

Yeah, we've definitely been getting some gustiness. By the way, I didn't thank you for your helpful inputs earlier, so thank you. :hug:

Good Luck Josh-hope you get some really good footage and measurements! And remember, if it has to happen anyway, shots of flying debris, cheap roofs peeling off, etc. always makes for interesting footage!(just stay safe while getting it).

:lol: Dude, that is so true.

The NHC forecasts Irene's position to be 33.4N 77.1W at 5AM EDT. That position is 81nm/94sm from Beaufort, at a vector of 197 degrees. If Irene's motion is then 17 degrees (NNE) at 14kts (currently 12kts), then the center of Irene's eye would be directly over Beaufort at 10:47AM EDT.

Yep, I think we're about as optimally located as we can be. I'm psyched to get a record-low pressure reading for a Cat 1. :lol:

Given that Irene is not likely to be moving in such an easterly direction, you may end up in the RFQ/eastern eyewall, Josh. :lmao:

If there is one. :axe:

Honestly, I'm not that down on the cyclone. It's a big hurricane, it's heading right for us, and we're in a hotel 20 ft from the water. I'm happy as a clam. :)

From the SE thread...

westward bend showing up on the ruc at the end. even on the 18z gfs :). irene bends back into Morehead City from the SSE from 12 to 18 hours.

http://www.nco.ncep....00_s_loop.shtml

If you have a tube handy, Channel 12 WCTI is the way to go! I have an open line with the Chief Met, just got off the phone a couple minutes ago, thinking this could come west as far as Emerald Isle, which would place Beasufort solidy in the right front. Thinking the last Recon fix was in the remnant center, which is on the NE side of the new inner max. Stay tuned, IR is cooling! :popcorn: Got to be careful with these dry air burps, hawt stuff has been known to occur.

Can you overlay the NHC track and also one with the heading showing landfall if it kept the current track Bobby?

Oh gosh... Yes, but it would be a tedious task. I'd have to do layers using a 3rd-party app, as well as resizing everything, and I'd have to align everything somehow, and, well, I'll politely decline, if I may? Good idea, though, if it wasn't so complicated.

Have fun, Josh, and be safe.

Thanks, Andy. :)

Good Luck Josh... I also have some friends from UNCA that are also in Beaufort ready to capture some footage. Maybe you might bump into them scooter.gif

Yep-- it's a hawt location for this one, I think. It makes sense. Thanks, Phil.

The little red square is the NHC's forecast point for 5AM. A landfall during daylight?? Josh must have been a very good boy.

Ha ha ha, right? :) Except for the weakening, everything about this is awesome-- our location, the time of day, the beauty of the town... In fact, I've never done a chase stationed this close to the water. I mean, I'm across the street from it!

From the SE thread...

If you have a tube handy, Channel 12 WCTI is the way to go! I have an open line with the Chief Met, just got off the phone a couple minutes ago, thinking this could come west as far as Emerald Isle, which would place Beasufort solidy in the right front. Thinking the last Recon fix was in the remnant center, which is on the NE side of the new inner max. Stay tuned, IR is cooling! :popcorn: Got to be careful with these dry air burps, hawt stuff has been known to occur.

Whoa-- some tasty tidbits in that. You playing with my head? :)

When in Okracoke for earl, I saw residents park their car on the approaches to one of the bridges in town.

Yep, we have that idea as well. That was going to be my last resort with Ike, as well.

I've partied in that hotel! :thumbsup:

Ha ha, it's a small world.

From that pic..are you at the intersection of Front and Queen(ha!) streets?

Yep. :sun:

224700 3104N 07608W 6964 02984 9875 +081 +064 226106 107 056 003 00

That, folks, was 70nm SE of Irene's "eye".

Stop dissing Irene! :angry:

Archived