Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
iCyclone Chase: IRENE

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We just had a moment of calm at 7:15 am. The sky really brightened and visibility improved enough that we could briefly see Harkers Island. It's since deteriorated again. The surge is rising now and surrounding the car and we need to retreat up the road a bit. The barometer says 967 mb, which seems a bit high fir the center.

We just had a moment of calm at 7:15 am. The sky really brightened and visibility improved enough that we could briefly see Harkers Island. It's since deteriorated again. The surge is rising now and surrounding the car and we need to retreat up the road a bit. The barometer says 967 mb, which seems a bit high fir the center.

COC should be passing over you very soon per radar.

Recon pass had 953mb just before landfall.

irene7.png

We're in almost a dead calm now, but the pressure is around 969 mb, which is just way higher than recon.

At 6:56 am, the airport in Beaufort reported 958.4 mb. At 7:00 am, the Cape Lookout station run by the NDBC reported 953.9 mb.

I think your Kestrel isn't reporting accurately, unfortunately. But, you said you left another at the hotel, right? Maybe that one will have a more accurate min reading.

We're in almost a dead calm now, but the pressure is around 969 mb, which is just way higher than recon.

The radar is a bit sloppy, but it almost looks as if there is a center of circulation passing almost directly between Morehead City and Beaufort. I'll be curious to see what the barometer in your hotel recorded.

post-20-0-29834700-1314445508.gif

BULLETIN HURRICANE IRENE

INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 28A

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

AL092011 800 AM EDT SAT AUG 27 2011

...CENTER OF IRENE MAKES LANDFALL NEAR CAPE LOOKOUT NORTH CAROLINA...

SUMMARY OF 800 AM EDT...1200 UTC...INFORMATION

----------------------------------------------

LOCATION...34.7N 76.5W

ABOUT 5 MI...10 KM NNE OF CAPE LOOKOUT NORTH CAROLINA

ABOUT 60 MI...100 KM SW OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...85 MPH...140 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 15 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...952 MB...28.11 INCHES

Thanks the really cool radar shots. I am really psyched we hit the bullseye almost perfectly-- it's not exactly a hurricane for the ages, but as far as the "sport" of chasing goes, we couldn't have hit it better. Mission accomplished. :)

Clearly my equipment is malfunctioning, so consider the data invalid.

At 6:56 am, the airport in Beaufort reported 958.4 mb. At 7:00 am, the Cape Lookout station run by the NDBC reported 953.9 mb.

I think your Kestrel isn't reporting accurately, unfortunately. But, you said you left another at the hotel, right? Maybe that one will have a more accurate min reading.

Not sure what the problem is. He has mine with him, which was compared to an official NWS Precision Digital Barometer and was dead-on accurate and he calibrated his with mine earlier.

Not sure what the problem is. He has mine with him, which was compared to an official NWS Precision Digital Barometer and was dead-on accurate and he calibrated his with mine earlier.

Maybe 969 is accurate and attributable to "multiple vortices" i.e. a cluster of partially eroded

and reformed pressure centers? Maybe the lowest pressure is on the east side of a

sloppy eroding eye.

I have a Kestrel as well (4000, which I'm guessing may be the model he's using) and I'm confused by it, too. It's a high-quality instrument. It'll definitely be interesting to see what the Kestrel in the hotel measured.

Maybe the post above sheds some light - we don't know for sure that the 969 is wrong.

Oh, wow-- that 8 am position is essentially right on top of us. Bull's eye!

Still calm here-- dead calm. You could almost build a card house out here.

I have to say, despite how much the cyclone deteriorated, this baby had a solid eyewall and eye. We were getting raked a little over an hour ago, and now it's. Dead calm. That's some decent structure.

Starting to drizzle again, just as I finish this post. Perhaps the back side moving in? ( We don't expect much from it.)

Oh, wow-- that 8 am position is essentially right on top of us. Bull's eye!

Still calm here-- dead calm. You could almost a card house out here.

I have to say, despite how much the cyclone deteriorated, this baby had a solid eyewall and eye. We were getting raked a little over an hour ago, and now it's. Dead calm. That's some decent structure.

Starting to drizzle again, just as I finish this post. Perhaps the back side moving in? ( We don't expect much from it.)

Sounds like a big success, congrats!

Wilmington, NC - KILM - is reporting NW 38 G 58 currently (8am update), over 80 miles WSW of Cape Lookout. The backside should have some storm force gusts in your area.

Archived