• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
iCyclone Chase: IRENE

YEEEE HAAAA!!

LOL, Way to go, guys! I'm sure you know you have tons of time to get to Long Island before the eye gets there, assuming you find passable roads. Irene eye is currently off south NJ, SE of Cape May. Atlantic City has easterly winds.

I continued to archive until about 8 hours ago, when I finally made some pizza, then crashed and got some sleep. I just woke up, and it's awesome to read about your safety and progress!

Sic 'em!

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alex, sounds like you're having some awesome conditions. I've been impressed with the JFK data.

MJW155-- we're in N DE, approaching the Delaware Memorial Bridge, which crosses into NJ. Fingers crossed!

It's raining wicked hard.

60 mph winds in Central Park-- and that takes some doing-- they had light and variable winds during the Boxing Day Blizzard when JFK was gusting close to 70 lol

Bobby-- that pic is so gorgeous. Is that how the NC landfall one's look? :wub:

Alex-- wow, really? That's official? That's a gust, not sustained, I assume?

Official landfall was 7:30 EDT, wasn't it? Here's the zoomed-in image from 7:32:

[edit] Note the band to the north of the eye. That explains the vigorous activity when the backside hit you!

post-6546-0-56803700-1314521014.png

Bobby-- that pic is so gorgeous. Is that how the NC landfall one's look? :wub:

Alex-- wow, really? That's official? That's a gust, not sustained, I assume?

Yes, sir, that's a gust :) We have another tornado warning now!

I recorded a sustained 43 mph wind at my weather station though and both LGA and JFK were over 40 mph sustained TS force.

LGA just gusted to 64 !

We just crossed the Delaware Memorial Bridge into NJ-- it was open! :thumbsup:

Chicago Storm-- I can't thank you enough for all the cool navigational help you've given us on this chase.

Bobby-- awesome to hear about the archiving!! Can't wait to see the radar of the core as it crossed NC. :wub:

You're welcome...Anytime. :hug:

Landfall occuring in Atlantic City, NJ...

irene13.png

We just crossed Verrazano Bridge and we're on Belt Parkway along the S coast of Brooklyn!

Dramatic wave action!

Any evidence of major storm surge?... most of the coastal gauges around the region have things at around 4 feet above normal. Things should start to get interesting as the tide comes in.

We just crossed Verrazano Bridge and we're on Belt Parkway along the S coast of Brooklyn!

Dramatic wave action!

You just beat the eye, it's just east of Tom's River

Landfall on Long Island will be near Long Beach

It paralleled the Jersey Shore as I thought (path of least resistance) rather than coming inland over NJ

LGA close to 70mph, over 50 mph sustained:

Sustained wind 52mph and Gust to 67mph at LGA, at 4:10am:

0410 AM TROPICAL STORM NYC/LA GUARDIA 40.78N 73.88W 08/28/2011 QUEENS NY ASOS SUSTAINED WIND OF 52 MPH MEASURED

0410 AM NON-TSTM WND GST NYC/LA GUARDIA 40.78N 73.88W 08/28/2011 M67 MPH QUEENS NY ASOS ASOS

Parks along the S coast of Brooklyn are flooded, with huge waves crashing against the sea levels.

Pressure is 975.5 mb.

Huntington is flooded too, Josh, water almost up to the tops of cars and rushing down the streets like rivers.

Archived