joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
iCyclone Chase: IRENE

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, SP and NorthNJwx! :)

It's still dead calm here. No wind from any direction. Patches of very light drizzle. The surge came up over a the beach and a picnic area and flooded the street, but it's not coming any higher now.

By the way, my pressure went down to 965 mb. My equipment is faulty, but it's interesting to note the lowest pressure happened here at about 8:20 am, which matches nicely with the radar and advisory positions.

The wind suddenly picked up again at 8:55 am, to maybe 25-30 kt-- the backside.

Not too much rain, but the surge continues to slowly rise. Large swaths of the town are under water.  We're at the end of Moore Lane, looking out at Harkers Island. Water is coming up onto the street. Pieces of a smashed doc are floating around.

Unfortunately, the data are nit too useful-- total equipment malfunction. (See above.) Grrrr.

But, yeah, we're really psyched we hit the dead center-- feel really good about that.

Are the wind readings not right either?

Are the wind readings not right either?

One of the big issues is contamination due to car motion. More and more I'm realizing that in any chase, it's almost impossible to stay in once place for too long, and so the wind data that happen when the car is moving can't be used. And for when the car was still, once again, the data did not seem to match what I was seeing. I am thinking I might need a different wind device. I will debrief with you via eMail.

Josh, there is a 7-8' storm surge in New Bern and Havelock so leaving out of us70 that way will be impossible right now.

The Pamlico sound will start to head south instead of SW so be aware...

Oh, for sure. We're trapped here for a while and we know it! No way for us to get out of town. (See above.) Oh, well. We have food, water, and gas. No biggie.

there is a nice band of rain to your south west swinging around...should hit you in a few minutes

Thanks for heads up. It's started to drizzle again.

Yep-- AT&T, on my iPad. The network has really held up.

Same here dude, lost power around 7, but 3G on the iPad is still up. Strong smell of pine in the air, and it is rocking outside, maybe the best 950'something Cat 1 I have been in. Just posted this in th SE thread, tops cooled at landfall, nice!

http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseastconusir.html

Wow-- the wind suddenly got much stronger. At about 9:45 am, it really kicked up a notch and it has that howl. Not hurricane force, but a good gale, it seems like. And the surge seems to be pushing a little further into the town. We just talked to a couple who've been flooded out of their home. The fellow proudly says, "I live at the lowest point in Marshallberg," with a big smile.

But as suggested on radar, it's not raining a whole lot-- just a drizzle.

Wow-- the wind suddenly got much stronger. At about 9:45 am, it really kicked up a notch and it has that howl. Not hurricane force, but a good gale, it seems like. And the surge seems to be pushing a little further into the town. We just talked to a couple who've been flooded out of their home. The fellow proudly says, "I live at the lowest point in Marshallberg," with a big smile.

But as suggested on radar, it's not raining a whole lot-- just a drizzle.

I'm picturing this:

250px-MrAnderson.jpg

In all seriousness, stay safe and atleast you got in the eye of a hurricane in 2011.

Archived